Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrading to a 4 channel (XLR) recorder...could use some advice!  (Read 8409 times)

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
Re: Upgrading to a 4 channel (XLR) recorder...could use some advice!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »
I would recommend reading all of the R44 threads on TS. There are some very smart people on those threads.

My understanding (if you could call it that) is that you don’t want to set the inner knob lower than 12’clock because It can lead to clipping. as far as I can figure out the advice is to set the inner knob at 12 and then adjust the outer ring. The problem with that is that the outer ring has click steps which leave audible artifacts if adjusting on the fly.

Try reading from here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153957.60
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 09:35:10 PM »
Cool, will do. Thanks!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 01:47:00 AM »
Looks like you made a good choice. Congrats on the new recorder.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 02:09:49 AM »

Admittedly, this is a step below the F4, PMD706 or mix-pre's feature wise, but I like it for the price point. To be a bit more informational/critical: After about 1.5 years of use with the stock PRe's, we started puttiing a Grace V2 in front of varying AKG mics, still using mic in at the deck input and the results are substantially better sounding.

I would disagree that it is a step below. In what way, as it has fantastic features. I have and very much like the MixPre6, but I also have a DR680 MKII and had the MKI originally, both being extremely versatile decks and they can be had for less than half the price of the MixPre6. The digi in is easy to set up and can be used on tracks 5 and 6, OR the digi in can be used instead of the mix track which is how I use it allowing me to use up to 8 tracks.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 08:41:51 AM »
Panatrope's Second Law of Recording - the number of tracks required for a recording is one greater than the number of tracks available.  But seriously, you'll do well with the R44.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 11:16:04 AM »
Yep, won't be long before you're buying another, and linking them together for 8 channels of fun.  :guitarist:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 03:26:06 AM »
Both of the above are simpler to manage/setup/navigate/run than the F4/8 and SD's, which provide more capabilities which require more complex menu navigation. 

I can't speak to the Sound Devices recorders, but I've found the F4 and F8 menus to be easy to navigate and pretty intuitive.  I've never used the R44 or DR680, though, so I certainly can't say that the F4/F8 menus are comparable to the R44/DR680 menus.  In my experience, though, the F4/F8 menus have been easy to use.

I can speak as someone who used to use (and still owns) a Sound Devices 552 recorder and a Tascam DR680 recorder.

Upgrading from them to a Zoom F4 was a massive leap forward in my life. Zero regrets. Absolutely is a better experience and a better result.

Since the F4 I have then gone and pre-ordered a Zoom F8n which I've been using since day one it came out. (even though I could have afforded the likes of a Sound Devices 633, I just didn't see the value in it there for me even as as a professional who works purely at sound recording. Am happy to wait and see if I see a secondhand 633 for US$2K? That might happen. Or if a 633 mk2 comes out in the next couple of years)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »
^Thanks for that input.  I was seriously considering picking up an F8 when they were on clearance for around $650 but was busy with work and missed the window.  Happy with the DR-680MK2 but would like to move to a reasonably priced recorder with 8 built-in preamps.  Might hold onto an R88 I have on loan rather than spring for the F8n at full retail, it's a fine recorder but absolutely gigantic.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 03:24:05 AM »
I assume you're saying the R88 is gigantic? As the F8 is absolutely teeny!

And if you keep a close eye on eBay I'm sure you can find an F8 for even cheaper than they went on sale for.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com