Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PDAudio with a stock UA5?  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
PDAudio with a stock UA5?
« on: June 24, 2003, 08:46:54 AM »
Hey all,
I'm intrigued by the whole PDAudio concept, and am trying to come up with a way to just run my stock UA5>PDA. Apparently it (the PDA) will have coax & optical in's, so essentially what I'm thinking is to try & find a box that will convert the USB signal from the Edirol into a coax or optical. I don't want/need a digi modded UA5, as I like having the 1/4" inputs active for recording my own music.  The other option, of course, would be to just get a cheap 2nd A/D , maybe an AD-20, and run an analog signal to that, then convert & send to the PDA. This, though, would be both more expensive & more crap to carry to shows, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
So, to sum up- is there a product that converts USB>coax/optical? Thanks guys.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
Re:PDAudio with a stock UA5?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 10:30:30 AM »

My LMA Recordings

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 05:28:48 PM »
The only thing the D-mod UA-5 does for you other than make this possible, is that inbound USB audio (from PC) is disabled.

The d-mod does nothing else to the unit other than make it fully standalone.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 07:57:07 AM »
right, I got the mods confused for a sec.
But either way, the Oade's won't mod a unit they didn't sell, so I couldn't do that even if I wanted to.

My LMA Recordings

Offline mirth

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 10:58:51 AM »
This is true, although I'm guessing he'll change that policy in the next 12-18 months.

With the d-mod, both of the digi outs are active all the time regardless of if its hooked up to a PC or not... a stock unit will only output from one (swich-settable) if its hooked up to a PC.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 11:50:07 AM »
This is how I understand it too, but I can't seem to get a coax signal out of it  even when it is hooked up to a PC.

Another possibility: turn the laptop on in the bag, set all the power options to the lowest available, turn off hibernate/sleep modes, but run the USB into it. Then just grab the optical and run it into the PDAudio.....I'd still be lugging the laptop around, but it'd just be a lot more convienent to monitor levels on a PDA as opposed to the laptop.

My LMA Recordings

Offline mirth

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 12:23:22 PM »
Strange, and you're running SF or WaveLab or similar at the same time that you're not getting the coax out?

I assume you've made sure the switch in the back is on coax, yes? You'll need to power cycle the UA-5 after moving the switch...

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 01:41:34 PM »
Huh. OK, lets say I'm set up & trying to hook up a patch for a D8. Would the D8 need to be connected & powered on (with the switch obviously set to coax) BEFORE I turn on the UA5/laptop?

My LMA Recordings

Offline mirth

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 02:54:27 PM »
I don't believe so... But I've never given digi-patches out of mine.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com