Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 9 volt Lithium Ion battery  (Read 25250 times)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 9 volt Lithium Ion battery
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2005, 02:16:17 PM »
Doh! Yes, that's right.  12.8 V is what I should have said.  That's a freshly charged, new automotive battery.  13.8 V is the average voltage between 12.8 V and 14.8 V.  I guess that's why most car audio equipment is specified at 13.8 V.

And you are correct that it quickly draws down from there.  My car is about 12.3 V with the dome light on and not running.  When the car is running, the charginng peaks go to 14.4 V and the average voltage while being charged is around 14.25 V.

It looks to me like the thing to do is just use an adapter cable without a regulator and just resign myself to charging the Walmart battery while the car's not running. (That means no charging during the road trip, I guess.)  Either that, or get a dedicated 12 V battery to use as a recharging source at the festival and make sure it's charged up ahead of time.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2005, 03:18:06 PM »
It looks to me like the thing to do is just use an adapter cable without a regulator and just resign myself to charging the Walmart battery while the car's not running. (That means no charging during the road trip, I guess.)  Either that, or get a dedicated 12 V battery to use as a recharging source at the festival and make sure it's charged up ahead of time.

One idea is to look into DC-DC converters. TI has a whole range of complete ones available through DigiKey.  I imagine one of them would fit the bill. (You might be forced to boost beyond 12 though and "pluck" it down with that 1086 of yours).

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2005, 05:37:18 PM »
The cigarette lighter adapter cable does not come with the Walmart batteries

aha - that's the key piece of info I was missing.  I thought they came packaged the same.  thanks (and I really think you'll be OK)
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2005, 12:16:14 AM »
Another FYI:  The charging circuit in the battery seems to pull about 700 to 800 mA while charging from the AC adapter.  If it takes 8 hours to charge a battery, that's 6400 mAh from a 12 V source (about the same as 77 Watt hours).  So, if you are covering a festival with 16 hours of music per day, you'll need a 12 V battery with about 13 Ah of capacity per day (about the same as 155 Watt hours per day).  A small ATV or motorcycle battery does about 50 Ah, so that'll get you 3 and probably 4 days worth of power.  If you went with a small marine battery, that would get you about 100 Ah for a little over a week's worth of power for recharging the 9 V LiION battery.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2005, 10:43:42 PM »
test
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2005, 12:11:12 AM »
Will a li ion battery like the one at the begining of this thread power a DAT?
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2005, 04:39:14 PM »
i ran my wal mart 9v down to 1 light on the mytek stereo192 last week.  it ran for about 3.5 hours.  i wonder how much more time i could have gotten

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2005, 04:55:13 PM »
i recently bought a adaptaplug Y cable and another B tip so i can switch between my 2 on the fly...or if i ever needed 14 continuous hours of recording...

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2005, 08:42:37 PM »
i recently bought a adaptaplug Y cable and another B tip so i can switch between my 2 on the fly...or if i ever needed 14 continuous hours of recording...

But what would happen if you had them both plugged in at the same time?  I don't know much about batteries and stuff, but I would think that could lead to a "BOOOOOM" situation. ;)

Or not?
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2005, 10:16:07 PM »
i was assured that in parallel, there would be no boom, and sure enough, when i tested it works :)

i should up some pics of my ua5 with the 2 batts stacked on top with velcro attachments, its puuuurday soooo much power :P

Offline sethro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2005, 01:21:04 AM »
I've been thinking about doing this but with a couple of NiMh 9.6v I have.  Than I was talking to the guys at my local battery shop, one thought for some reason the capacity of the lower would limit that of the higher.  Like if one of the batteries was only half charged.  I was thinking you could just add the MAh together.  ???   What do you know?

And another NiMh queastion on this Lithium thread...
batteryspace.com has a battery on their site under the DVD secion, it is labeled 9.6 v.  But, it only has seven 1.2v cells.  So, this battery has to be only 8.4v.  This is the best deal I've found for my ua5 power.  It is 4000mah for $40  and each one you buy comes with a fast smart charger.  My question is if the ua5 will run off the 8.4v?  caymanreview said that it can, just wondering if there have been any tests with one of these 7.2v lithiums?

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2005, 08:51:16 AM »
I've been thinking about doing this but with a couple of NiMh 9.6v I have. Than I was talking to the guys at my local battery shop, one thought for some reason the capacity of the lower would limit that of the higher. Like if one of the batteries was only half charged. I was thinking you could just add the MAh together. ??? What do you know?

not really sure, some one who knows batterys better should know though...

And another NiMh queastion on this Lithium thread...
batteryspace.com has a battery on their site under the DVD secion, it is labeled 9.6 v. But, it only has seven 1.2v cells. So, this battery has to be only 8.4v. This is the best deal I've found for my ua5 power. It is 4000mah for $40 and each one you buy comes with a fast smart charger. My question is if the ua5 will run off the 8.4v? caymanreview said that it can, just wondering if there have been any tests with one of these 7.2v lithiums?

ua-5 should be fine one 7.2 - 12(?) volts is what ive heard, but ive only ran it on 9.6...there are better deals on batteries than what you mentioned. i got a li-ion, the memorex one, for $25 shipped...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2005, 07:21:02 PM »
and im not 100% sure, but i believe you can add mah's together no matter what size they are, or if they are diff mah's :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com