Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: shockmount options  (Read 27112 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
shockmount options
« on: April 29, 2003, 05:07:25 PM »

SHOCKMOUNTS

Audio Technica (http://www.audiotechnica.com)

8410a  |  Very popular shockmounts.  (16.8mm - 28.8mm diameter mics)
8415   |  Not as popular as the 8410a, but great shockmounts IMO.  (12.7mm - 54.1mm diameter mics)

Sabrasom (http://www.sabrasom.com.br)

SSM-1  |  Some folks like 'em, some say they stink.  Pack up very compact/flat if that's important to you.

Schoeps  (http://www.schoeps.de)

A20   |  Pretty low profile.  (~20mm diameter mics)
A20S  |  The -S model just has stiffer elastic.

Tensimount  (http://www.tensimount.com)

Tensimount | Inexpensive, flexible for a variety of mic sizes.

Shure  (www.shure.com)

A53M  |  Nice shockmount.  (~18.75mm mics)

Superlux  (http://www.superlux.us/smalldiaphragm.html)

HM-30 | elastic sleeve instead of bands
HM-32 | elastic bands instead of sleeve, offers greater isolation than above

Cheap...$6 per!

Universal Microphone Shock Mount  (http://www.shockmount.com/)

Shock Mount | uses 4 elastic bands to secure virtually any diameter microphone
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 03:48:53 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:shockmount options
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 04:54:46 PM »
the schoeps a20 will accept the neumann x-y/ortf bar just fine.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: shockmount options
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »
The Rycote InVision Broadcast a.k.a. INV Series shocks are awesome.  IMHO: These seem to be the best designed and most durable shocks per dollar.

http://www.rycote.com/products/invision_broadcast/

edit to add:-->Rycote InVision Brochure and Sizing Guide PDF

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:48:19 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »
and most durable shocks per dollar.

Are they durable? I have not had one in my hands.
To me, it looks like it would be easy to break the clips or the support structure under them easily.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
It'd be interesting (and easy?) to do some shock mount testing....  Setup stand and mics at specific gain in a quiet room, drop object from known height next to stand, record thump, compare to other mounts, etc.

Though that wouldn't cover the case where the sound pressure vibrates the stand more directly.

A lot depends on whether you're recording loud material with 20dB of gain, or classical guitar at 55dB..

In photography, carbon fibre tripods are far more effective at dampening vibrations than aluminum.  Wood is also much better than aluminum.  Additionaly, each system has resonant frequencies that may make them better or worse than others.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:08:45 PM by it-goes-to-eleven »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »

To me, it looks like it would be easy to break the clips or the support structure under them easily.

I wouldn't be worried about the clips (they are replaceable too). Its where they screw in that I'd have some worries on, and the hinge where the clip plate joins the threaded hole and tie off.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »

The Rycote are the best and most durable around.

I have now ditched all my shock mounts and gone over to Rycote for everything.

You can put a Rycote on the floor, jump up and down on it, turn the Lyre inside out and tie it in knots.

No harm is done and it all returns to its normal shape.

They are perfect - and much much cheaper - and much better than the manufacturer originals.

I would use nothing else, whatever the mic.

(And, yes, I use the Rycote on my Neumanns as they are better than the Neumann suspensions).

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 11:31:22 PM »

The Rycote are the best and most durable around.

I have now ditched all my shock mounts and gone over to Rycote for everything.

You can put a Rycote on the floor, jump up and down on it, turn the Lyre inside out and tie it in knots.

No harm is done and it all returns to its normal shape.

They are perfect - and much much cheaper - and much better than the manufacturer originals.

I would use nothing else, whatever the mic.

(And, yes, I use the Rycote on my Neumanns as they are better than the Neumann suspensions).

Really? I might have to check them out then, John! They def look sweet.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Rockinman59

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:26:11 PM »
What's the difference between the INV-6 and INV-7?   Also both mention having a 3/8" thread adapter, so will that screw onto my Shure A27M vert bar and can these Rycotes adjust in different directions.  I just can't picture where the thread adapter is positioned on the shockmounts.

Thanks!
AKG460 JW Mods>UA5 (Wmod)>Marantz PMD661

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:01:22 PM »
What's the difference between the INV-6 and INV-7?   Also both mention having a 3/8" thread adapter, so will that screw onto my Shure A27M vert bar and can these Rycotes adjust in different directions.  I just can't picture where the thread adapter is positioned on the shockmounts.

Thanks!

The INV-7 has a longer bar length which can be set up as either the same length of a INV-6 or furthur apart as supplied to accommodate longer mics.

Basically, unless you need lowest profile the INV-7 is more versatile.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »
thanks for the info DigiGal.  I appreciate it.   The akg 460's are kinda long so I should probably go with the INV-7, but then will the 3/8 thread adapter allow me to position the mounts the way I want after attaching to the Shure vert bar?   

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
thanks for the info DigiGal.  I appreciate it.   The akg 460's are kinda long so I should probably go with the INV-7, but then will the 3/8 thread adapter allow me to position the mounts the way I want after attaching to the Shure vert bar?

You'd definitely need to use the thread adapters for attaching Rycote INV lyres on the Shure vert bar but it wouldn't impose a positioning problem.

Here is a photo of the supplied thread adapter which should help you visualize your setup... 

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 09:37:05 PM »
The Shure vert bar has 5/8" threads coming out of it, the shock mount would have to have the 3/8 opening on the end to fit.  I can't see a full pic of the INV-6 or 7 anywhere.  By what you're showing me the Rycote wouldn't work to attach to the vert bar.  Unless I'm still misunderstanding.   A full pic of the Rycotes would help me see how it would fit on the Shure bar

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:00:34 PM »
The Shure vert bar has 5/8" threads coming out of it, the shock mount would have to have the 3/8 opening on the end to fit.  I can't see a full pic of the INV-6 or 7 anywhere.  By what you're showing me the Rycote wouldn't work to attach to the vert bar.  Unless I'm still misunderstanding.   A full pic of the Rycotes would help me see how it would fit on the Shure bar

If you look at the top of the thread adapter those are 3/8" threads that are protruding, they will thread into the base of the Rycote INV Lyre mount.  Then the base base of the thread adapter is a female 5/8" 27 (mic) thread that attaches to the male 5/8" 27 (mic) thread on the Shure vert bar.  The thread adapter adds maybe only about a quarter of an inch of height to the Rycote INV Lyre.  It is an over site by Rycote that none of their stock photos show the thread adapters but it is really quite simple and fairly transparent when utilized.  Rycote are made in UK where 3/8" mic thread is standard unlike US where 5/8" 27 is the norm.

Here is an angled view of a thread adapter that may better represent what is happening...
<-- Thread Adapter     <-- Shure A27M Vert Bar

**Rycote INV-7 (Linked Image is Copyright All rights reserved by Rycote.com)**
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:40:54 PM by DigiGal »

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 10:21:43 PM »
That's a perfect illustration so now I see that it would work.  It looks bigger in the illustration than it really is so I "think" it would be consider low pro to have these.  I currently have the Shure donuts which are too tight to fit the akg's.  I'm not about to grease up or talc up the akg bodies just to fit them in those donuts lol.

I was at a show last night with JD (I think it was him, his name is John) and he was clamped to me and I asked him about these but didn't ask him after the show when he took them down to demonstrate how they attach to the vert bar.

Thanks so much for the info!  So you think I should go with the INV-7's instead of the INV-6?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com