Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendation for a recorder for practice sessions, lessons, and recitals  (Read 7991 times)

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Recommendation for a recorder for practice sessions, lessons, and recitals
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 01:45:10 PM »
It's a really tough call, I'm going to continue searching and watching videos.

Another thing to consider that most folks on this board don't need to worry about is how quiet the internal preamp is (most here are recording PAs in noisy spaces). For what you want to do, you'll want to pay attention to the recorder's self noise. This page (geared toward nature recordists) has many of the recorder's test numbers (EIN). Since that community also values low self noise, the best recorders are at the top of the list:

http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

You might also ask in the Team Classical sub forum.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »
Another thing to consider that most folks on this board don't need to worry about is how quiet the internal preamp is (most here are recording PAs in noisy spaces).

They may not need to worry - but I bet they do!   The thing about recording (and sound reproduction) is that there's a terrible urge to buy absolutely the best, regardless of requirement and sometimes regardless of ability to pay...

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Another thing to consider that most folks on this board don't need to worry about is how quiet the internal preamp is (most here are recording PAs in noisy spaces).

They may not need to worry - but I bet they do!   The thing about recording (and sound reproduction) is that there's a terrible urge to buy absolutely the best, regardless of requirement and sometimes regardless of ability to pay...

Truth! I have to admit that I often follow that path, but I've gotten better about it over time. But, it's good for the economy, right?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 10:57:07 AM »
It might help a particular company's profits, but I doubt all the gear spending by everyone on this board would have any measurable impact on the overall economy. 

One thing that makes it difficult to offer suggestions to the OP is that product pricing in France appears to be substantially different than in the US.  I suggested looking at the DR100mkii vs. the Zoom, and it turns out the DR is something like $100 more in France right now. 

I came across a thread here asking about recorders for classical recording that I started to post, but using the search feature it appears there are several more that might be worth reading.  http://taperssection.com/index.php?action=search2

The  Tascam DR44wl has just been out a few months and therefore wasn't mentioned in the older threads.  If it has better battery life and improved preamps, it might be worth the extra money not to mention the built in mics with shock protection. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »
The  Tascam DR44wl has just been out a few months and therefore wasn't mentioned in the older threads.  If it has better battery life and improved preamps, it might be worth the extra money not to mention the built in mics with shock protection. 
Also not to mention is the wifi remote feature which seems to be its chief recommendation (pending someone discovering whether the internal mic system is amazing, average, or bad).  So I won't mention it.  (The Android remote now has a built in remote player which I hope to test today on my DR-22WL - as I understand it, the app works with the two track and four track models similarly).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com