Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best way to record to an ipod classic?  (Read 2229 times)

audiothings

• Trade Count: (0)
best way to record to an ipod classic?
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:49:38 AM »
is there any effective way of getting high quality audio into an ipod classic? @ 44.1/16... is there any way to interface it with, say, a church audio preamp or some such? is there a significant noise factor even if the mics are powered and amplified externally...

i have seen some cheap solutions from griffin and suchlike, but none of them seem to be built for high quality music capture.

thanks,

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Re: best way to record to an ipod classic?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:02:36 AM »
this has been covered many times and the answer is always : do not use an ipod for recording, the rockbox software is extremely unstable with ipods and in fact i don't know of one recording with them, i tried this a couple years ago and it crashed the hard drive and everything i ever tried to find out basically said it did the same thing to other people trying it, just get a h320 or h120 and be done with it, those things are like a tank.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »
YOu may have luck with a device like this:  http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/belkin-makes-ipod-into-recording-studio-226614.php

Or this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MultiPort

But for that money, you can just buy another recorder that already does what you want and is much smaller.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:40:07 AM »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:50:25 AM »
this has been covered many times and the answer is always : do not use an ipod for recording, the rockbox software is extremely unstable with ipods and in fact i don't know of one recording with them, i tried this a couple years ago and it crashed the hard drive and everything i ever tried to find out basically said it did the same thing to other people trying it, just get a h320 or h120 and be done with it, those things are like a tank.

Apart from that, the ipod classic isn't even supported by rockbox  :P

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:55:32 PM »
The 4 channel Belkin Tune Studio is coming in June, $250.  It works with the Classic and 5th generation iPod, and with the second and third generation Nano.   http://www.belkin.com/tunestudio/

The Belkin Podcast Studio is supposed to be available this Summer for $100.  This item doesn't appear on the Belkin web pages yet.

Both address the major problem of other iPod recording gadgets, namely that controls for preamp gain, mic sensitivity and so on are all buried in menus.  It's inconvenient to record using menu selections as controls.  Regardless of the tpe of iPod used, the top digitizing rate is 16/44.1.

Flintstone

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:01:39 PM »
The fact remains that the iPod wasn't originally designed as a recording device so any secondary device is trying to make it do something it wasn't designed for.  So the results you get may not be ideal.  The irivers and other devices were made with the ability to record as a main feature.  That's why they do so well at the task.  For the amount of money you'd spend to get even halfway decent results with an iPod it would be best to buy a new recorder.

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 03:02:10 PM »
Unless you get that Tune Studio, it's going to record in mono anyway.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com