Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT II problems  (Read 47514 times)

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
Re: MT II problems
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2008, 12:09:37 PM »
did another living room test with a different card.  instead of the transcend 120x 8 gig card, i ran the 6 gig hitachi microdrive.  went 2.5 hours without freezing up. could be the transcend card. 
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2008, 12:44:30 PM »
did another living room test with a different card.  instead of the transcend 120x 8 gig card, i ran the 6 gig hitachi microdrive.  went 2.5 hours without freezing up. could be the transcend card. 
did you have trouble with the 120x card in your MT1?
i know some people had trouble with faster cards and found cards around 40x worked best
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2008, 01:06:15 PM »
I have a MT1 and I know how the battery died quickly.  I will be doing this test every so often to see.  I will still have my 5volt backup in the bag, just in case.  My MT1 never ran that long, even new. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »
did you have trouble with the 120x card in your MT1?
i know some people had trouble with faster cards and found cards around 40x worked best

I've been using the Kingston Elite Pro 45X cards (4GB & 8GB) with the MT1 without a hitch - I snagged a MT2 and will continue to use the Kingston cards with it...

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
I managed to get over 5 hours with the internal battery.  Lights off, digi in, and not using the pass through signal to listen while it was recording.  I will have an external ready but, for now I will just use the internal until I need to plug in an external. The battery meter goes down quick until about half way down.  Then it is slow till the end.  It will give you two different messages when it is running low.  First is a "battery is low" warning.  Then you get a "battery is out of power" and the recording stops and it writes the last file before shutting down.  You get about 2 minutes between the two messages. 

You should run it down a couple times and try it out. You might not need to run the external all the time.  ;D

I'll try again today just to verify that I can fill up a 4GB card at 24/48 on the internal battery.  My prediction is that there will be no problems.  I'm still building confidence to run this thing solo when it really matters.

I need to get a bigger card too, so I can run the thing completely down while recording at 24/48....and maybe get to over 5 hours, like you (that's awesome, btw).

--Michael

Following anhisr's lead, I confirmed that I the MT II can last long enough fill a 4GB card on the internal battery behind a V3 recording at 24/48 with time to spare. 

Still no lock ups.  I've done about 12 hours of tests this weekend...

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline anhisr

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2008, 10:45:13 PM »
ed, that is the same card I run.  So far no problems and I have run it up full many times.  Already on file 74
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »
damn i am only on about file 74 with my mt1 and that includes test files as well
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline anhisr

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2008, 10:53:32 PM »
Grace had me run a bunch of test and checking how the battery works.  It has added up quickly. 
Video Canon HF R30

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2008, 01:39:45 PM »
I managed to get over 5 hours with the internal battery.  Lights off, digi in, and not using the pass through signal to listen while it was recording.  I will have an external ready but, for now I will just use the internal until I need to plug in an external. The battery meter goes down quick until about half way down.  Then it is slow till the end.  It will give you two different messages when it is running low.  First is a "battery is low" warning.  Then you get a "battery is out of power" and the recording stops and it writes the last file before shutting down.  You get about 2 minutes between the two messages. 
You should run it down a couple times and try it out. You might not need to run the external all the time.  ;D

This is great useful info, +T and Thanks!!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2008, 01:46:59 PM »
Has the MTII digital in @ 24/96 been tested with anything other than a V3? Say, an Oade T+ mod UA-5? I'm thinking about selling both my JB3's and making the move to 24 bits.
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2008, 03:03:07 PM »
Has the MTII digital in @ 24/96 been tested with anything other than a V3? Say, an Oade T+ mod UA-5? I'm thinking about selling both my JB3's and making the move to 24 bits.
I'll test it w/ my W+ mod ua-5, I imagine it should be fine though. I've been putting my MTII through some cf card tests since it arrived yesterday, so far no problems w/ it freezing up from V3@24/96 using a transcend 8gb 133x card. I'll hook up the ua-5 @ 24/96 with my transcend 8gb 120x later and report back.

Edited to add:
No problems at all w/ the W+mod ua-5 @ 24/96 coax > MTII. Wrote 4/1.86gb files and 1/277MB file before the transcend 8gb 120x card filled up. I will be on the lookout for a card reader though, as it took ~45min to transfer the files, that just seems far too long for me. I'm going to keep testing the cards I have until a) I have a problem, or b) I feel confident that I won't have any issues out in the field.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:53:05 PM by busterr »

Offline davidaue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2008, 10:56:29 PM »
I bought a MT II a couple weeks ago and it had problems with locking up occasionally, mainly just after writing files when stopping recording, but also sometimes mid-recording.  I got two subsequent replacement units and had the same problem with both of them. I just got a fourth unit from a different vendor altogether and it has the same trouble.  I have 2 completely different CF cards (Transcend and SanDisk) and even tried a super expensive one at my local camera shop but I get the same problem no matter which card I use also.  Of course M-Audio support was no help at all.  I have been surprised to look around the web and not find any mention of this problem.  Do you guys really all have MT II units that don't lock up all the time?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:35:42 PM by davidaue »

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2008, 11:20:02 PM »
I bought a MT II a couple weeks ago and it had problems with locking up occasionally, mainly just after writing files when stopping recording, but also sometimes mid-recording.  I got two subsequent replacement units and had the same problem with both of them. I just got a fourth unit from a different vendor altogether and it has the same trouble.  I have 2 completely different CF cards (Transcend and SanDisk) and even tried a super expensive one at my local camera shop but I get the same problem no matter which card I use also.  Of course M-Audio support was no help at all.  I have been surprised to look around the web and not find any mention of this problem.  Do you guys really have MT II units that don't lock up all the time?

Yes, mine is fine.  I'm using the latest firmware and the S/PDIF in only, however.  I used it in the field both behind a V3 and a D8 several times now with no problems.

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline busterr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2008, 11:59:18 PM »
I bought a MT II a couple weeks ago and it had problems with locking up occasionally, mainly just after writing files when stopping recording, but also sometimes mid-recording.  I got two subsequent replacement units and had the same problem with both of them. I just got a fourth unit from a different vendor altogether and it has the same trouble.  I have 2 completely different CF cards (Transcend and SanDisk) and even tried a super expensive one at my local camera shop but I get the same problem no matter which card I use also.  Of course M-Audio support was no help at all.  I have been surprised to look around the web and not find any mention of this problem.  Do you guys really have MT II units that don't lock up all the time?

Yes, mine is fine.  I'm using the latest firmware and the S/PDIF in only, however.  I used it in the field both behind a V3 and a D8 several times now with no problems.

--Michael
Yeah I've been testing the hell out of mine in anticipation of some upcoming shows and have had zero problems, again only using the spdif in. Still not sure I fully trust it in a mission critical environment though :-\.
I've also filed an online "incident" with m-audio about that issue yourself and others have had w/ lockups(and the no backlight when on hold), just to try and push them to do something for you all. Not sure where the issue lies though, and have yet to hear anything new from them.

Offline davidaue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2008, 12:05:23 AM »

I've also filed an online "incident" with m-audio about that issue yourself and others have had w/ lockups(and the no backlight when on hold), just to try and push them to do something for you all. Not sure where the issue lies though, and have yet to hear anything new from them.

Ahh..so you have heard of this issue.  I don't seem to be finding other people discussing lockups and was beginning to think I was crazy. If anyone has any links to lockup issues being discussed I'd be greatfull.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com