Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omnis for outdoor back ups  (Read 9684 times)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Omnis for outdoor back ups
« on: August 07, 2015, 12:13:49 PM »
I got wind-hosed at Rockygrass this year.  The wind was horrible and I had not recorded outdoors in a while so I forgot my big ass DPAs and dead wooks.  I haven't had the juevos to listen to any of it yet since I am pretty sure what I walked away with.  (rumble-rumble!)

With that said I am considering a pair of omni's to run into channels 3 & 4 as "back ups" in a CYA effort.  When I say "no budget" please take it with a grain of salt.  It means that I'm cool with some OM1's but might also be willing to part with my CCM4 pair to get some CCM5's.

I am interested in opinions.  I also have a pair of KM100 bodies so AK30's are not totally out of the picture.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Omnis for outdoor back ups
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »
An omni you are able to run in the optimal configuration is going to be far better than one you can only run in a compromised configuration. 

I'm partial to DPA 4060/4061.  For me they represent an omni price/performance sweet spot.  But in addition, and for the reason stated above, their super small size and minimal weight is crucial because I could not otherwise achieve an appropriate spacing configuration supported by a single stand when open recording outdoors, at least not easily in a visually unobtrusive way.  For two-channel use alone outdoors, I'd space omnis no less than 3'.  If they are to be mixed with a center microphone or microphone pair, better to space them 5 or 6' (basically double the spacing used alone).

A higher quality omni, used in a compromised setup with less A-B spacing, will be a step backwards rather than upwards in the quality of the resulting recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »
An omni you are able to run in the optimal configuration is going to be far better than one you can only run in a compromised configuration. 

A higher quality omni, used in a compromised setup with less A-B spacing, will be a step backwards rather than upwards in the quality of the resulting recording.

true, but even a lower quality omni used in a less than optimal configuration will probably produce a recording that is at least listenable vs rumble-rumble from un or under protected cards

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 02:32:34 PM »
Yes, that's the basic truth of it of course as long as something listenable is good enough.  I just figured that was assumed.  Since he's considering using high-quality omnis, I was attempting to make a finer distinction of noting a correlation between the ability of achieving an optimal configuration verses mic quality, and the effects of that relationship on the resulting recording.  With the goal being best possible recording rather than just getting something listenable which isn't swamped in wind rumble.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 04:21:55 PM »
http://avensonaudio.com/sto2/

Best I've heard or owned.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:10:53 PM »
http://avensonaudio.com/sto2/

Best I've heard or owned.

And ~$550 a pair they don't break the bank!

I should pull out my Schoeps MK2s>RBox recordings from Rockygrass 2006.  (Yes, MK2s not MK2)  The omnis were split about 25' and I feel confident that Davery and I walked away from the festival that year with some of the best sounding ambient recordings.

Please keep the suggestions coming!
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 07:00:45 PM »
Richard Skaggs has pulled a lot of nice mk2s recordings at telluride bluegrass for several years, check etree.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »
I'd get the ccm5s. I like the hf bump and if you needed to run omnis last minute due to wind, you're set.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 08:10:17 PM »
Your Grace V3 is meant for the STO-2's...that would be a awesome goto rig for outdoors (I run a V2 with my STO-2's)...also real sweet on stage source when not outdoors.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 12:38:51 PM »
There are a lot of great sounding omni microphones available so the field is pretty open for you. 

On the mini/micro front, I'd second Gutbucket's DPA 4061 recommendation, and add the Countryman B3 as well.  I've made recordings with both that surpass what I was expecting. 

The Earthworks TC series sound really nice, too, and matched pairs can be had.  The caveat with them is that they draw quite a bit of power (close to 10mA, IIRC). 

Good luck with your hunt! 

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 03:25:07 PM »
X2 Best omni out there for what we do. I'll also vouch for the B3s.

Your Grace V3 is meant for the STO-2's...that would be a awesome goto rig for outdoors (I run a V2 with my STO-2's)...also real sweet on stage source when not outdoors.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 02:37:44 AM »
There are a lot of great sounding omni microphones available so the field is pretty open for you. 

On the mini/micro front, I'd second Gutbucket's DPA 4061 recommendation, and add the Countryman B3 as well.  I've made recordings with both that surpass what I was expecting. 

The Earthworks TC series sound really nice, too, and matched pairs can be had.  The caveat with them is that they draw quite a bit of power (close to 10mA, IIRC). 

Good luck with your hunt!

boom.  got my TC25's here in the YS brand new for $600/pair if i recall.  freaking LOVE them!  although they don't get nearly as much use as they should.  i need to change that.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »
Having run MK5 in omni mode alongside MK4Vs, I continue to be of the belief that for stereo recording at a distance (such as at a music festival), omnis are an inferior option. Meaning, maybe the CCM5 makes the most sense -- you get the nice HF bump, and you can run omnis in a pinch or in whatever other situations (up very close) they might be preferable. I wouldn't delve into a completely different mic system just to have a CYA option.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
Speaking of being hosed by wind in the OP...There are advantages in the wind if you run a TRUE omni...not sure if the variable pattern MK5 would qualify...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
^ The MK5/CCM5 is a single diaphragm microphone and operates as a "true pressure transducer" in the omni setting. The capsule setting differences are purely mechanical, unlike the dual diaphragm mics out there.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com