Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Usbpre 2 users? how compares to, Zoom H6, Dav Bg1+ Mytek  (Read 4147 times)

Offline lagoausente

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Usbpre 2 users? how compares to, Zoom H6, Dav Bg1+ Mytek
« on: December 27, 2014, 11:42:18 AM »

First of all, I have used the search funtion, but my question here is quite specific, and I asked it here because probably are more users of portable devices like the H6 and the Usbpre 2.

I bought a Zoom H6 on earlier on this year, but I sold it after summer because need the money for other gear. I missed it for quick recording classic guitar, so I bought is a second hand one again.
 I´m half satisfied. Its outstanding quality for it´s size, but is not as good as my studio setup.  A Dav Bg1 (Diy clone, upgraded to a That1512) throught a Mytek stereo 196 ADC.

I tried conecting the Bg1 clone to the H6, through the jack inputs (bypasing the preamps), and it sounds sweeter, but even not as that pure clean detail of the Mytek setup.

I´m guessing if the Usbpre 2 could be a middle step, maybe better more detailed than the H6? I should need to sacrify portability and instant recording of the H6, but shoud worth.

I have a pair or Rode Nt5 mics, even I know they are not the very best scd mics out there, they sound pretty clean, natural and transparent with the studio seutp, but the H6 can´t get that 3D image with that mics.
  For portability (still thinking of dpa 4060), I toke a lavalier Sony Ecm-cs3,  and made a Diy transformation. Bought a pair or chinnese skype-type mics and used it´s flexo and attached them to the original Ecm sujection.  Now the capsules are outside of the sujection on the extreme of the flexo.   They a separate 10-14cm , and can separate them from the surface of the guitar, till about 10cm or so. Since they are onmi capsules they get all around and still get stereo.
 Ok, with the studio setup, Bg1+Mytek,  it sounds totally different than with the Nt5 cardioid, but a lot of detail of strings and guitar wood.
 With the H6 it sounds nice, but again no that 3D quality that feels you like you have the instrument in from of your face.
 Forgot to mention that I have a external plugin-power box for these, when not connected to the stereo front pluing power of the H6.

I discard to add a preamp to the H6 since already have tried it.
 My estudio setup is in a 2U unit, (the Mytek is inside the rack), it has enough depth, 38cm or so, so is weighty. I should put it on a transport case, or....

what I´m after looking for is,  maybe the Usbpre 2?  I see this one have the advantage of can be powered to a laptop, and not as big and no so power dependent.

So my finally question is, considering my studio setup, and the H6 quality,  where could sit the Usbpre 2 regarding quality, detail? between both? More like the studio? More like the H6 so such improvement?
 Hope any of you have experience with differnt gear and can give me a directly opinion based on direct experience, at least with the usbpre and the H6.

Thanks in advance.

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Usbpre 2 users? how compares to, Zoom H6, Dav Bg1+ Mytek
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
The sound devices usbpre2 is a stand alone mic pre amp. It is not a recorder. If you couple it with a recorder like an m10 or a pmd 661 (which has spdif in) you will have quite the nice rig .

Offline lagoausente

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Usbpre 2 users? how compares to,Audient Id22?, Dav Bg1+ Mytek
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »

Obvious, I´m just considering going with a laptop, so sacrify the hand recording to get better quality.

I´m considering the Audient Id22,  but this one need 12V external power 1.5amp, while the Usbpre runs on usb power.
  They have other differences, of course, like adat and so on,
 Here in Europe, the usbpre 2 cost double than the Audient.
 Sonically superior one to other?
 Thanks in advance.

Offline lagoausente

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:20:15 AM »
Anyone have a reference between Usbpre2 and Audient ID22 regarding sound quality?
 I know Id22 need power but I don't need aboslute portability,  from the samples.I could hear seems Id22 sounds brighter? Any experiences?
Thanks in advance.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »

I´m half satisfied. Its outstanding quality for it´s size, but is not as good as my studio setup.  A Dav Bg1 (Diy clone, upgraded to a That1512) throught a Mytek stereo 196 ADC.

I tried conecting the Bg1 clone to the H6, through the jack inputs (bypasing the preamps), and it sounds sweeter, but even not as that pure clean detail of the Mytek setup.

I have a pair or Rode Nt5 mics, even I know they are not the very best scd mics out there, they sound pretty clean, natural and transparent with the studio seutp, but the H6 can´t get that 3D image with that mics.

With the H6 it sounds nice, but again no that 3D quality that feels you like you have the instrument in from of your face.
 Forgot to mention that I have a external plugin-power box for these, when not connected to the stereo front pluing power of the H6.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a DAV BG1 preamp running into your H6 and are not satisfied, my question is whether the H6 really allows you to bypass its internal preamps by running line in.  If not, it would be a waste of money to buy another preamp if the H6 preamp is all you are going to hear in the end.

I have Rode NT5s.  IMO, you should also be looking at a microphone upgrade to get you where you want to be instead of looking at the preamp since you already have a BG1 which is a very nice preamp. 

Offline lagoausente

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 12:13:53 PM »
  Forgot to say, the H6 is nearly sold, just waiting fot the money transfer and tomorrow will be shipped to the new owner.
 Having that said, the H6 is really good sounding for it´s compact and instant recording, but to my like still a little "dry", boring sounding.
 You have reason that really preamps can´t be bypassed. Adding the Bg1 it sounded better (decreasing the onboard H6 to 2), but still lifeless compared to the Mytek. I was asking too much to the H6 comparing it to the Mytek.
  Already have a Babyface, that is also nearly sold. It has a round, fat nice sound for vocal, but I have better preamps, but recording flamenco guitar (like classic guitar, more bright), it sounds "big" "round" but transients missing, low detail too colored.

I agree I need a mic upgrade for this, will sell the Nt5 as soon as can afford the upgrade. I consider the Oktava, the set with the onmi capsules, or a stereo pair or Dpa 4060. This last ones are much more expensive, but I can´t plan to fix them to the guitar with two flexo, so no totally glued to the guitar, that should allow me to record anywhere, without mic stand, but opinions are wellcome about Oktavas, I think they also are great for the money, and much cheaper.

My doubt now is foccused on two options:  Audient Id22, or Usbpre 2.  Both have great opinions. Owners of the Audient and some samples I have heard, seems it blows away the Babyface,Duet etc,   regarding Usbpre, there is a comparison on soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/portable-interfaces
 Here I like better the Usbpre 2 than Babyface, but I can´t have direct comparisons to Id22 and Usbpre 2.
 I think that the Audient sounds brighter, but I don´t know what to do. Audient in EU is half price, on the other hand it needs external power.
 The Usbpre 2 is very attractive, and usb powered, but have read that there is no such difference from Babyface from some guy.
 If I just follow what I read, seems that the Audient is superior by now, more detail, even its less portable (power dependent).
  Any other opinion about this two units? No one have tried both even no at same time?

Thanks for your feedback.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »
Mytek makes a 192 and an 096 ADC and DAC, but I am unaware of a 196. Also  they are not preamps, you still need a pre in front of the Mytek as far as I know. Just thought I'd throw that in there because I find the thread somewhat confusing.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

kirk97132

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
Before you consider a pre I would try different mics.  If you say that it's not bright enough with NT-5's then I don't think any preamp will help.  I found the NT-5's to be way too bright and brittle sound, IMHO.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com