Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can you use the Zoom Q2HD as an external mic for a camcorder?  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Ringside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Can you use the Zoom Q2HD as an external mic for a camcorder?
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
Hello all,

I recently got a Q2HD for recording live music and I find the audio to be excellent, problem is a lot of the shows I go to are in dimly lit bars...this is where the device lets me down.

So I was wondering if I could use the audio recording capabilities of the 2QHD and use the line out into a camcorder with mic in (which would otherwise have distorted audio at loud volume) thus getting good results for picture and sound.

I know I can connect the recorder up to my computer and use it this way but I just wanted to check in case there's anything that I'm not thinking of getting in my way.

Thanks!

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
Re: Can you use the Zoom Q2HD as an external mic for a camcorder?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »
Since the headphone output of the Q2HD has a level control you should be able to make the connection, but the audio circuitry in most camcorders is pretty marginal. There's almost always some sort of auto-level processing. There are often rolloffs high and low. The noise is prominent in many of them. And they often lack in headroom. I've been disappointed nearly every time I've fed audio into a camcorder mic input.

It's not really _that_ hard to sync audio and video in post, so parallel recording is something to explore.

And I wouldn't assume that any given camcorder will have better low light performance than the Zoom. Low light video costs $$$ in my experience.

Fran

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com