Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RØDE NT-SF1  (Read 10199 times)

Offline chk

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: RØDE NT-SF1
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 08:26:23 PM »
I’m looking forward to checking this mic out. I’ve never used an ambisonic before, and am wondering from anyone that has, specifically with respect to decoding from A format to B format via software. How involved is post-production for what we do (generally mixing to stereo)?  I presume it’s sort of like anything else, you get the hang of it and it becomes routine?  Curious as this seems to be a pretty compelling, modern application of the Soundfield expertise in an affordable package.  I’ve done a couple blumlein onstage recordings with the LSD2 and I am really impressed with what that mic can do, and have listened to a ton of Soundfield st-250 recordings and love those, the ability to manipulate the height, etc.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 10:14:08 PM »
A format to B format is easy.  In fact, some recorders will pretty much record directly to B format, but that may depend on the specific mic.  I know the Zoom F8 (and I believe also the F4) will save to B format with the Sennheiser Ambeo.

I use a Core Sound TetraMic, and the post production is definitely more intensive than with a pair of mics, but it's also not all that daunting.

What makes you interested in the Rode mic in particular?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline chk

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 08:23:12 AM »
The Rode mic interests me for a couple main reasons: the Soundfield pedigree and price point of $999 w/ all accessories including software (thanks to Rode’s scale and ability to produce quality at reasonable cost, of course TBD how well they’ll execute).  I know there are others out there but this seems pretty attractive and worth checking out.

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2023, 03:30:28 PM »
Still curious about this one.  Doesn't look like much ambisonics talk around here recently at all.  I keep building horizontal only B format arrays out of 3 mics, but it'd be nice to get up/down if the quality drop is minimal.
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2023, 06:27:57 PM »
In my experience with the Tetramic I found up/down tilt control quite nice to have as a form of fine-tuning, using it to home in on the best angle for clarity or timbre, yet found that the degree of vertical angle adjustment needed for doing that was generally not overly large and remained about the same regardless of polar pattern and horizontal angle between the virtual stereo pair for most taper situations.  Exception is on-stage close to a drum-kit, with the microphone positioned low in front, in which case vertical angle adjustment can change sound radically - point up for focus on cymbal shimmer, down for kick and tom whump.

In contrast, typical adjustment of horizontal angle ranges much more widely, because in addition to horizontal angle controlling general orientation of the virtual pair, it also controls the angle between the virtual mics, which tends to correlate quite strongly with choice of polar pattern.  That is to say, for any particular polar pattern, a rather narrow range of adjustment of inclusive angle between the pair tends to be optimal.. switch to a different pattern and a different narrow range becomes appropriate.  Working the other way, if a significantly wider or narrower inclusive angle is desired, then virtual polar pattern needs to be modified to accommodate.

^ Does this description of the horizontal aspect ring true with regards to your experience building and using native 3-mic ambisonic arrays?

The convenience factor of a single microphone able to achieve a virtual coincident stereo pair that can be optimized later is pretty compelling.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2023, 09:26:45 PM »
Yes, that all makes perfect sense.  The one application in which I might go more severely up/down would be in multitrack situations where I'm using it for pure ambience intended to mix with other sources.  There've been a couple of times I had an array in the middle of a group who were rehearsing, and used multiple copies of the WXY to make multiple virtual mics.  The Z would definitely come in handy there.   A few times close on a solo singer/guitarist I've turned it sideways so it was WXZ instead. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com