Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Other mic config resources..  (Read 5723 times)

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Other mic config resources..
« on: June 26, 2003, 03:39:25 PM »
Are there any other sources for pictures and descriptions for stereo mic configurations?

I've visited the Oade and DPA sites and found both to be a little lacking for me, I could use better pictures w/more then one angle...

Thanks!  :coolguy:
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Tim

Re:Other mic config resources..
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 03:46:12 PM »
what are you looking for? I'm sure someone here can help and post some pics. Any specific configurations or angles?

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 03:55:52 PM »
Nothing specific I guess...  I've been a patcher geek for probably two years now, and always had an AT822 handy for those local shows no one else went to but I have my first stereo pair now and not sure how I want to run them...

The pic's mention numbers and angles but fail to indicate where to take the measurements or are too small for me to really read.

It'd also be nice to know what is suggested by you guys with the ADK SC-T's (small diagphram cards).  I'm guessing I'll start off with XY prolly, as it seems to be pretty forgiving and probably or ORTF ...  

will be taping a show at a local bar on Friday, my virgin run :D..  Sadly it's usually pretty dead crowd wise.  GREAT sound too, best in town, large stacks that are probably 12' or 15' feet apart on each side of the stage.  I've had great results at about 15' back with my AT822.  Can run from pretty much anywhere, the band is called Stratospheerius and are very "Ponty like" if you know who Jean-Luc Ponty is.. virtuoso violin player (Joe Denizon) doing like prog-jazz stuff with a full band.

Tim

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 04:01:54 PM »
I know nothing about those mics but you might want try DIN. Kind of a nice mid-point between x/y and ortf.

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 04:25:17 PM »
I have my first stereo pair now and not sure how I want to run them...

The pic's mention numbers and angles but fail to indicate where to take the measurements or are too small for me to really read.

It'd also be nice to know what is suggested by you guys with the ADK SC-T's (small diagphram cards).  I'm guessing I'll start off with XY prolly, as it seems to be pretty forgiving and probably or ORTF ...  

will be taping a show at a local bar on Friday, my virgin run :D..  Sadly it's usually pretty dead crowd wise.  GREAT sound too, best in town, large stacks that are probably 12' or 15' feet apart on each side of the stage.  I've had great results at about 15' back with my AT822.  Can run from pretty much anywhere, the band is called Stratospheerius and are very "Ponty like" if you know who Jean-Luc Ponty is.. virtuoso violin player (Joe Denizon) doing like prog-jazz stuff with a full band.
Jean-Luc Ponty  use to play w/ Zappa way back in the day.  At least that's the lie I was once told. ;)

As for running your mics, try XY for one set and DIN for another (if the room is not too boomy, in which case you may not want anything but xy). hell if  not many people there try all sorts of things so you know first hand.

As for measuring the cap distance (same w/ angles), I use the center of the diaphram.  When going xy center the diaphrams over each other.

hope this helps
peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 04:33:39 PM »
Ya, Ponty played with Zappa..  :)  I got turned onto him by a security guard here at work of all things!  I was here coding late after most drones had gone home just blaring a Zappa show on my Grado's.. he was doing his rounds and proceeded to scare the hell out of me by tapping on the shoulder and asking what I was listening to.

He proceeded to bring in ponty albums over the next few weeks and I've loved it ever since.  They sorta call him the hendrix of the electric violin :P  Imaginary Voyage, Enigmatic Ocean, Cosmic Messenger, and Civilized Evil are all great albums of his.. He's also on Hot Rats, King Kong, Apostrophe, and Shut up and Play yer guitar, FWIW..  This Joe Deninzon guy reminds me of him a lot..

Thanks for the advice, keep'em coming if you have any more!
Nick

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 12:01:50 PM »
I pretty much use either DIN or ORTF (XY with the schoeps hurts my ears), DIN with the hypers and ORTF with the Cards. Have also run DIN with the cards with good results, tightens things up a bit
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2003, 01:53:39 AM »
DIN....courtesy of dan..... ;) 8)

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2003, 09:57:10 AM »
here's another view...

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2003, 01:47:51 PM »
I ran DIN last night but I'm thinking I might've had the caps spread too far apart.. it was 20cm but it just looks a lot wider then with the vert bar.  But these ADK's are teeny mic's, so that might be it too :)

The results are currently being transferred..  My first impressions are that I love the JB3!  Last night was a breeze, was nice having so much "tape" so I didn't have to worry about anything.  Already about 80% done w/the opener, probably take me 15-30 minutes to have 2+ hours of music put to my HD... which is ultra sweet.

The show sounded good last night on the way home on my grado's although the bass was a little soft...?  Could this be a result of DIN or perhaps of the possible exaggerated spacing between caps?

Need to find something to tape tonight :)  Wish I was still going to Vernon :(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com