Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-2D vs. other tiny decks—Sound Quality  (Read 6913 times)

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Tascam DR-2D vs. other tiny decks—Sound Quality
« on: June 10, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »
How is the sound quality of the Tascam DR-2D, using both inputs from Line feeds? — in Dual Record Function
I'm familiar with the sound quality of the Sony PCM-M10 and older Edirol models. Due to its tiny size, is the DR-2D quality compromised in any way, particular when using the "Mic In" as a Line input?
Thank you.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Tascam DR-2D vs. other tiny decks—Sound Quality
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:36:40 PM »
is this the thread where we compare tiny decks?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »
No, I'm interested in the opinion on the Tascam DR-2D quality, compared to other portable recorders. I expect the DR-2D to sound inferior to the multitrack Sound Devices, Zoom, and others in that range, however I'd like to know in advance if the DR-2D has any shortcomings for Dual Recording mode (Stereo x 2) in terms of audio quality; I expect some tradeoff for the size. Thanks again.

is this the thread where we compare tiny decks?

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 12:13:36 AM »
This model has been discontinued. It has been replaced with the DR-22WL.
http://tascam.com/product/dr-2d/

Why not get something newer?
(I have the DR22WL btw)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 01:53:04 AM »

(I have the DR22WL btw)

DR2d can do 4 tracks, for one.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 07:55:23 AM »
The DR2d was a little bright sounding IMHO when I used one for quite a while. It made very clear recordings.

About 4 channels - you may find it problematic as I did. The mic in cannot handle a loud line source and is prone to brickwalling even with line sources that aren't that loud.

If you want to record 4 channels of line level sources I suggest getting something like a used DR70d that is capable of doing just that and more. Not much more expensive used than a DR2d.

edit : removed inaccurate data
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:43:03 AM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »
I have had very good results although with this deck recording 2 sets of mics and 4 channels requires some practice. I do like the deck much more than I like the DR22L. Form factor and capabilities of the DR2d make it a deck with more options. It is very important thoughto stick to the message below:

Run the preamp into the line-input.  Set the line input level to about 95, any lower won't help with a hot signal- your levels will look lower on the display, but you will be overloading the input stage.  At level 95 at least the peak indicator will indicate overload properly.  If too hot, turn down the external preamp or use attenuators.  You can add gain with the external preamp without a problem if you need to.

Run the other pair of mics into the mic-input, with mic power turned on.  Mic input level 67 (menu set to low gain) is about the same level as line-in level 100.  I wouldn't go below something like mic input level 62 for the same reason mentioned above, but you can add as much gain as neccessary for good levels by raising the input level as required without fear.

How much gain you need depends on the sensitivity of the mics and the SPL of the music so I can't help there.  If the mics have the same sensitivity (I dunno if they do) then the omnis probably output a somewhat higher level signal since the're more sensitive in the lower bass and produce more ouput down there.   So if it's loud and you have the recorder set to those minimum gains already (line=95, mic=62) and are peaking on mic input with the omnis, you might swap them with the card to put the omnis through the preamp>line-in chain if the preamp lets you attenuate gain as well as add it (I'm not sure what the minimum gain on the 9100 is).

There are a few variables, you might try it both ways and see which works better, just keep the gains on the recorder at line=95/mic=62(set to low gain) or above.

Hope that helps.

I stick to those gain levels and never have issues. If the recording is lower than I like, I boost it in post which is easy to do and will not ruin my original copy.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 11:54:54 AM »
Also the Dual record function you mention is not what you think. The Dual record function creates a safety track at a lower volume when you are using the deck to record 2 channels and creates the safety track on the other two. Terminology.

It is capable of doing what he thinks.  Its that function which is the primary attraction of this recorder IMO.  It can either record a lower level safety track OR record two separate stereo files- one for the mic-input (or internal mics) and a second for the line-input.  That's referred to as DUAL_LINE mode.  And its that mode which makes it uniquely attractive as the only pocket sized recorder made to date which has offered 4 channel external input recording functionality.

It doesn't provide the same functionality as other multitrack recorders, but it is able to record four separate signals. The main thing is that you will need to manage levels prior to the recorder.  I keep it at input level 100 on the line-in and 67 on the mic-in and have no qualms about the audio quality at all.  I really have only two primary wishes with regards to the DR2d- That Tascam continue production, and that Tascam produce a follow up model capable of recording 3 pairs of external stereo inputs rather than just two, in the same size device.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:11:38 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »

(I have the DR22WL btw)

DR2d can do 4 tracks, for one.

4 tracks?  If that's your criteria, try out big brother DR-44WL

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 03:24:15 PM »

The only way the DR-44WL deck can do 4 tracks is 2 external mics and 2 internal mics. There is no flexibility to use 4 external mics and that means the unit always needs to be placed where it can get a good clean signal.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 10:51:49 PM »

The only way the DR-44WL deck can do 4 tracks is 2 external mics and 2 internal mics. There is no flexibility to use 4 external mics and that means the unit always needs to be placed where it can get a good clean signal.

Doh, I thought that round indent on the right side panel was a 1/8" TRS input.  It is not, thanks dallman.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:13:02 AM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 02:22:23 AM »

Doh, I thought that round indent on the right side pannel was a 1/8" TRS input.  It is not, thanks dallman.

It would have been nice had they made it that way ;-)

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 02:16:47 PM »
Thank you for replying; as I understand from the responses, the DR-2D sounds just as good as the Sony PCM-M10, or at least the M10 doesn't sound any better (Line In or Mic In); true?
I'm familiar with the PCM-M10, but never used the DR-2D, so do not know its quality.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
I'd say that's true.  Its features and functions and the built in mics where they differ primarily, rather than sound quality.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 06:44:38 AM »
as much as i dislike the microtrack for line-in i wish there were more options without unnecessary built in mics
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com