Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity (osx): How to mix two AUD sources?  (Read 73317 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Audacity (osx): How to mix two AUD sources?
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »
I have a slightly off topic question. I have two audio sources for the same show. Instead of performing a matrix, I'd like to use Audacity to track both recordings at the same time. I believe I can take the instructions from the original post to do this? Here's what I'm thinking:
Import both recordings into Audacity, align the beginning.
Label the tracks.
Save the project.
Delete the first track.
Export multiple.
Reopen the project, delete the second track, export multiple.

Does anyone have an easier way to handle this? I tried to mute the unwanted source, but it still includes it in the export.

Thanks.

I see - you're basically trying to track 2 shows at once.
Open 1 show and track it...Export Multiple - ok that show is done.
Next close that tracks you just worked with - but leave the marker track.
Open the next show - use the time align tool to make sure the markers still match the music.
Export multiple again.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 06:50:34 AM »
I have a slightly off topic question.(snip)
Export multiple.
Reopen the project, delete the second track, export multiple.

Does anyone have an easier way to handle this?
Thanks.
The UNDO feature is your friend. But essentially, you have found an easy way to do it.

I would probably track with one muted, and right before the "export multiple" simply delete one track. Then after the export, UNDO the delete, and trash the one you just successfully exported. Export the other version, Undo the second delete, and save the file for later in case you screwed up.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline cunger

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2011, 09:43:56 AM »
^^^ That's what I was thinking, just thought there might have been a better way. Thanks all!

Offline ovtaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 04:26:22 PM »
i have a couple of off topic audacity questions that might possibly get answered amongst you all....
1. i have  a recording where the levels from one side to the other drop out completely. is there a way to take levels from one side to the other?
2 i have a recording that appears to have a low squeal most likely from connections in line in front of me. is there a way to eliminate this from the recording?

thanks + happy new year!!

Offline GNRrockslife

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »

* oh shoot, now I gotta figure out how to tell you the math part! My apologies for the half-assed nature of this part of my method.  :-[ Go to VIEW>SET SELECTION FORMAT > SAMPLES (SNAP TO SAMPLES) so you can measure the length of your program in samples. Measure the total length from your sync points early in the file to the desired sync points late in the file. You will get different numbers for each file since they are probably not lined up perfectly due to slight variances in the clock chips of the two recorders. Make a note of each of these numbers. Subtract one from the other to find out the number of samples of drift at the end, and write this number down. Divide the length of the longer one by the length of the shorter source and you will get a number close to but greater than 1.0000000. Let's use an example where you have exactly one second of drift at the end of exactly one hour at 48KHz. The longer file is now 172,848,000 samples and the shorter one is 172,800,000 samples. Divide the long one by the short one and you will get 1.0002788. (If I am getting this right, then) this tells you that you that you need to speed change the longer file by -.02788%

Damn I hope I got that right. Please won't someone troubleshoot my math and let me know the best way to do this???  :o

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but has this process changed in more recent versions of Audacity over the past 4 years? I can't seem to find "set selection format" under "View" in my current version of Audacity. I'm running version 1.3.14 for Mac. Again, sorry for a stupid question.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 02:33:04 AM »

* oh shoot, now I gotta figure out how to tell you the math part! My apologies for the half-assed nature of this part of my method.  :-[ Go to VIEW>SET SELECTION FORMAT > SAMPLES (SNAP TO SAMPLES) so you can measure the length of your program in samples. Measure the total length from your sync points early in the file to the desired sync points late in the file. You will get different numbers for each file since they are probably not lined up perfectly due to slight variances in the clock chips of the two recorders. Make a note of each of these numbers. Subtract one from the other to find out the number of samples of drift at the end, and write this number down. Divide the length of the longer one by the length of the shorter source and you will get a number close to but greater than 1.0000000. Let's use an example where you have exactly one second of drift at the end of exactly one hour at 48KHz. The longer file is now 172,848,000 samples and the shorter one is 172,800,000 samples. Divide the long one by the short one and you will get 1.0002788. (If I am getting this right, then) this tells you that you that you need to speed change the longer file by -.02788%

Damn I hope I got that right. Please won't someone troubleshoot my math and let me know the best way to do this???  :o

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but has this process changed in more recent versions of Audacity over the past 4 years? I can't seem to find "set selection format" under "View" in my current version of Audacity. I'm running version 1.3.14 for Mac. Again, sorry for a stupid question.

no worries

on the bottom left there are a couple of things. (left to right)

1) Project rate
2) Snap to Grid
3) Selection counter

on the right side of the selection counter is a little black triangle, click that once and then a menu comes up for what you what the display as. Set that to Samples.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline GNRrockslife

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »

no worries

on the bottom left there are a couple of things. (left to right)

1) Project rate
2) Snap to Grid
3) Selection counter

on the right side of the selection counter is a little black triangle, click that once and then a menu comes up for what you what the display as. Set that to Samples.
Thanks, that helped me get the sample numbers I need, but it seems to fall out of sync even worse I apply the "change speed". Could someone verify that I'm doing this process correctly? Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, this is my first time attempting a matrix. Here's my numbers:
- Longer recording is 292,879,639 samples (From the first sample to the sample that the last beat of music occurs on, with both sources synced up at the beginning)
- Shorter recording is 290,252,451 samples (Under the same circumstances)
- The quotient is 1.0090514
- The percentage change in speed for the longer recording should be -.90514% (Audacity rounds to -.905%)

Am I doing something wrong in this process?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2012, 12:37:30 AM »
Thanks, that helped me get the sample numbers I need, but it seems to fall out of sync even worse I apply the "change speed". Could someone verify that I'm doing this process correctly? Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, this is my first time attempting a matrix. Here's my numbers:
- Longer recording is 292,879,639 samples (From the first sample to the sample that the last beat of music occurs on, with both sources synced up at the beginning)
- Shorter recording is 290,252,451 samples (Under the same circumstances)
- The quotient is 1.0090514
- The percentage change in speed for the longer recording should be -.90514% (Audacity rounds to -.905%)

Am I doing something wrong in this process?

If it goes from being out of sync by 3 seconds at the end to being out of sync by 6, then you went the wrong way (duh, but stating it to build upon). What you're telling it is to expand a track. If you did 0.905xxxxx (and type all of that stuff in, don't cheap out) then it should shrink the track selected. A change of 1.00000 does nothing, that's your base line, not 0.

I used to squirrel around for a good 15 minutes trying to remember how to do this every time as I rarely got it on the first try.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
The original directions I wrote were for version 1.2.6 I think. Version 1.3x is much better, as you can change sample rates whenever you like, for export.

If the (+ or -) sign is wrong, you can either reverse it, or do the process on the other of the two tracks. (shrink one or stretch the other)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »
the newest version of Audacity seems to have a sync option (sync/lock tracks - the little clock at the top).  has anyone tried using this/know how it works?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

runonce

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »
the newest version of Audacity seems to have a sync option (sync/lock tracks - the little clock at the top).  has anyone tried using this/know how it works?

I think...it keeps the tracks in sync if you happen to edit one trackset. (perhaps some processes can cause a lapse in sync?)

I know you need to turn it off before you import your second trackset - otherwise, it will start at the end of the first trackset.

Once you have your tracks imported - click it back on...

I dont think it has anything to do with fixing clock drift...

Chimney Top

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2012, 01:34:57 AM »
Final Cut Pro X has a sync clips function for video and/or audio tracks... it's instant, but still not 100%... if you sync individual tracks it's probably ok... clips 60 minutes plus... not so much, but decent (then you can drag/zoom to align).  FCPX only exports at 48 khZ, but you might able to send to compressor then export at other sample rates.

FCPX also has a 31 band eq, panning, surround panning, etc.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:01:27 AM by Chimney Top »

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2013, 03:48:27 PM »
Marking thread.  :)
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
Using my DR70-d, I took the 2 channels of soundboard and 2 channels of split omnis (outside gig), exported each separately as 16/44 stereo files. Then opened one in audacity and pasted the other into that project, I used mix and render and got a very nice matrix.

My question: can I create a matrix using 60 or 70% of the soundboard. (I'm assuming my first effort was a 50/50 mix.

Thanks!
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2016, 11:02:39 PM »
Definitely.  Though your first mix was most likely not "50/50."

The levels were probably somewhat different for each source and just loading them into Audacity and combining into one stereo track won't give you an even mix.

But to your question: at the very basic level, when you open files in audacity there is a gain slider for each file on the left side of the screen.  Its the one that just has the '+' and '-' symbols on both ends.  Above the 'L' and 'R' slider.

When listening to the show in Audacity just play with turning one source up or down and see how it sounds and what you like best.  Make sure the animated green bars in the top tool bar never show red.

ALL THAT SAID, have you been following the rules outlined in the beginning of this thread to align both sources?  The soundboard source and the omnis will almost certainly not be totally in sync and could cause an echo effect by the end of the set.  Thats a whole other can of worms that needs to be opened before you can get the right sound mix done.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com