Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need clean, cheap gain  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Need clean, cheap gain
« on: March 17, 2004, 01:47:08 PM »
    I'm currently running AT853rx > UA-5 (p-mod) and think I may have trouble getting decent levels at some acoustic performances at a festival this summer.
    Does anyone know the total gain output of the UA-5 in db? Stock, p- or w-mod?  A search didn't turn up any measurement in db, and the Edirol manual had no info at all.
    I know some say the UA-5 starts to get noisy past 1:00 or so, so I'm wondering what my options are.  Get a MV-100 and run into the RCA inputs?  A used V2 would be nice, but the two pieces combined would be almost as much as a used V3 or MMe.  Am I overlooking something?

Ragan
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re:Need clean, cheap gain
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 02:35:14 PM »
instead of spending $650 for a v2, you may want to consider upgrading your mics

just my opinion
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 02:43:43 PM »
I think the "noisy at >1:00" comments have come from stock UA5's.  The preamp mods definitely lower the noise and you should be able to crank it up past 1:00.  Try recording something off your playback system that causes you to crank up the gain on the UA5 to see if you hear any noise.

If you need more gain, don't add a preamp.  Sell the UA5 and get something different.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 02:51:02 PM »
Try recording something off your playback system that causes you to crank up the gain on the UA5 to see if you hear any noise.

Oh, and don't confuse the hum of your refrigerator or HVAC system for preamp noise.  I've done that before - they sound so loud recorded through mics.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 04:58:04 PM »
Thanks, Craig, I'll try to run some tests at home.  Fortunately, my listening room has a door to separate it from the rest of the house.  And a mic upgrade is in the planning stages already.

FWIW, I ran more sensitive mics (14 mV/Pa) with my UA-5 at last year's fest and had to push the gain to 3-3:30 to get decent levels at a couple of stages.  Seemed to be a lot of background noise, though.  It was at a quasi-outdoor stage, so maybe the mics were just picking up the sounds of people moving around, etc., and it wasn't the preamp at all.

Ragan
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 07:20:51 PM »
Oh, and don't confuse the hum of your refrigerator or HVAC system for preamp noise.  I've done that before - they sound so loud recorded through mics.

Funny related story ... when I first got my ULN-2, I was curious to what 72 dB of gain would do. So I set it up in my living room, cranked it up and put on headphones so I could have "super hearing." I heard stuff outside, the fridge, HVAC, neighbors, etc. all as if they were in the room with me. Then I sneezed and damn near blew my ears off!

Lesson learned.
Out of the game … for now?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com