Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3  (Read 95646 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2018, 02:08:50 PM »
If you want to do your mid/side decoding in post, don't use the mid/side function in the F8.  Just record the two tracks like any two-channel stereo (making note, of course, of which track is the side).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ricola

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »
If you want to do your mid/side decoding in post, don't use the mid/side function in the F8.  Just record the two tracks like any two-channel stereo (making note, of course, of which track is the side).

a simple solution, thanks for the quick help! Btw, I love the result of M/S Stereo for a Room Micro. Beside other spot mics for the instruments it gives a nice addition for the whole Mix.
Yesterday I taped a Jazz Quintet and used a Sennheiser MKH40 for Mid and Haun 603/KA800 for Side Mic.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »
Just record the two tracks like any two-channel stereo (making note, of course, of which track is the side).

The conventional wisdom is to always record the MID to track 1/LEFT and the Side to track 2/RIGHT.

Most MS decoder plugins work with this format.

Personally I never use MS decoding while recording - I always want to be able to process at home later when I can hear what I'm doing.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2018, 10:40:33 AM »
The Mid/Side decoder in the recorder can be employed either at the input stage (in which case you are recording Left/Right signals instead of Mid/Side), or the monitor matrix (record as M/S, yet provide L/R out to headphones) and/or main and sub out matrixes (record as M/S, yet provide L/R out to main and/or sub outs).

If you've already recorded the matrixed Left/Right, you can convert it back to Mid/Side again.  You can do so either via direct playback from the machine using the Mid/Side decoder in the machine on the playback side (M/S > M/S decoder > L/R) [edit- that does not work], or in your DAW (sum L+ R to create Mid; sum L - R, inverting polarity of R to create Side.  Sum/Difference = Mid/Side).

That way you can "re-tweak" the Mid/Side ratio slightly if necessary when converting back to L/R again via another pass through a M/S decoder.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 09:38:45 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2018, 04:53:19 PM »
Invoked the new firmware last night (v5.0), the process was glitch-free and all settings were left untouched. I'll be testing the "advanced" limiters Thursday. I was hoping to get the F8n's vertical display but I'm not going to complain, Zoom practically handed us an F8n with this firmware update:

• Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters
  • Zoom AutoMix™ function
  • Improved TC accuracy when powered off
  • Digital Boost for headphone monitor (up to +24dB)
  • Selectable headphone Volume Curve
  • New "Fader Mode" view for home screen
  • Maximum fader level increased from +12dB to +24dB
  • F8 Control iOS app can now work together with FRC-8
  • Ability to record to SD card and USB Audio Interface simultaneously
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »
I'm not going to complain, Zoom [/font]practically handed us an F8n with this firmware update:

Yeah I'm left wondering what the hell did I pay extra for to get the F8n.....  ah well, I guess I'll wait and see?

Offline JoShmo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »
Invoked the new firmware last night (v5.0), the process was glitch-free and all settings were left untouched. I'll be testing the "advanced" limiters Thursday. I was hoping to get the F8n's vertical display but I'm not going to complain, Zoom practically handed us an F8n with this firmware update:
If by "vertical display" you mean the new look "Fader Mode" for the home screen its there - option is just a bit buried!
Or perhaps you meant something else.
I can't remember the last time I was treated so well by a company after buying a tech product. v5.0 is an embarrassment of riches. They've got me for life now!
One other thing that's changed that I haven't seen mentioned - and its a biggy for me - shortcuts that previously relied on pressing "STOP" and [Key] (eg clear overs) now don't need the "STOP" whilst recording! So happy about that!

Offline efksound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2018, 07:00:37 AM »
Invoked the new firmware last night (v5.0), the process was glitch-free and all settings were left untouched. I'll be testing the "advanced" limiters Thursday. I was hoping to get the F8n's vertical display but I'm not going to complain, Zoom [font=arial

You can have the vertical display as well

Menu >System >Track Knob óption> Fader

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »
If by "vertical display" you mean the new look "Fader Mode" for the home screen its there - option is just a bit buried!
Or perhaps you meant something else.
I can't remember the last time I was treated so well by a company after buying a tech product. v5.0 is an embarrassment of riches. They've got me for life now!
One other thing that's changed that I haven't seen mentioned - and its a biggy for me - shortcuts that previously relied on pressing "STOP" and [Key] (eg clear overs) now don't need the "STOP" whilst recording! So happy about that!

BEST. NEWS. EVER.

it always made me super super nervous to press "stop" during a recording.

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2018, 03:15:23 PM »
Man I need to get on this. Gotta love that Zoom is still cranking out this many new features for a deck that is 4 years old, especially with a new model out....love it!
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2018, 03:18:39 PM »
Man I need to get on this. Gotta love that Zoom is still cranking out this many new features for a deck that is 4 years old, especially with a new model out....love it!

3 years
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline heathen

« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2018, 03:54:28 PM »
I'm not going to complain, Zoom [/font]practically handed us an F8n with this firmware update:

Yeah I'm left wondering what the hell did I pay extra for to get the F8n.....  ah well, I guess I'll wait and see?

I'm just going off memory, but doesn't the F8n have actual physical improvements to the headphone amp?  I know the headphone amp is a common complaint about the F8.  I'm guessing the new F8 firmware won't be as good an improvement as having an actual physical improvement like the F8n has...?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »

I'm just going off memory, but doesn't the F8n have actual physical improvements to the headphone amp?  I know the headphone amp is a common complaint about the F8.  I'm guessing the new F8 firmware won't be as good an improvement as having an actual physical improvement like the F8n has...?

From the F8 FB group:

Update 8/1/18* Contacted Zoom and they said there is no difference between the headphone outputs after v.5.0.

AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline heathen

« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2018, 04:46:17 PM »
Well I guess if nothing else it's good to see a company not "holding back" capabilities just to try to push people into buying a newer product  :shrug:

Offline JoShmo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »

From the F8 FB group:

Update 8/1/18* Contacted Zoom and they said there is no difference between the headphone outputs after v.5.0.
Just astonishing. I know early F8n owners who frantically traded up might feel aggrieved, but the idea of eaking out the very best from hardware already released is a very welcome move

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com