Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3  (Read 95674 times)

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
Wow that's quite the price reduction
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2018, 10:12:04 PM »
Need to compete with SD now that they are no longer the new shiny item.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2018, 10:03:23 AM »
There's also the possibility that Zoom is coming out with a new recorder...possibly to compete with the MixPre-10T?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2018, 03:31:48 AM »
Need to compete with SD now that they are no longer the new shiny item.

F4 is much much cheaper than the MixPre6, and the F8 is heaps and heaps cheaper than the MixPre10T.

So Zoom had a clear lead with pricing even before the price drops, guess Zoom just really wants to hammer home hard that advantage.

But yes, I hope this indicates a new product is coming from Zoom, perhaps in a few weeks more at NAB?

A Zoom F8n or F10 would be nice to see, with some kinds of updates/improvements.

Hopefully not something like the F1 however :-/  Heh, although I suppose a "F2" is a possibility too with say 2x XLR inputs plus a 3.5mm stereo input, if in an ultra small form factor (like the MixPre3 is! :-o ) then that would be a welcome arrival for some.

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2018, 08:45:57 PM »
Hey All,
I just made the jump from a DR-70D to the F8. My main power source in the field is the RAVPower 23,000 mAh Li-Po pack https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFMUBYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, connected to the DC in jack on the rear of the F8. I've noticed that if I charge the battery and leave it connected to the deck, the battery loses 25% of its charge overnight. This is with the F8 turned OFF and no internal AA's installed. The battery continues to drain at gradually slowing rate. After 24 hours it is down to less than 20% capacity. This drainage doesn't happen if I leave the battery disconnected. Has anyone else experienced this? Is someone willing to give this a try using any LiPo pack connected to the rear power jack?

My first time out with the deck I ran 6 mics @P48. After three hours the battery was down to 75% capacity- is this normal or is my deck drawing too much current?
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2018, 11:04:33 PM »
Could it make a difference if you use the hirose connection on the side? 
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2018, 03:19:52 PM »
Could it make a difference if you use the hirose connection on the side?
I just ordered a cable so we'll see.

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2018, 10:35:35 PM »
> This drainage doesn't happen if I leave the battery disconnected.

Why would you want to leave it connected? While it's good to know how things perform, doesn't seem like good practice in general.

> My first time out with the deck I ran 6 mics @P48. After three hours the battery was down to 75% capacity- is this normal or is my deck drawing too much current?

Six mics for three hours and only using 25 percent, if I'm reading this correct, is remarkably good.

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2018, 08:32:11 PM »
> This drainage doesn't happen if I leave the battery disconnected.

Why would you want to leave it connected? While it's good to know how things perform, doesn't seem like good practice in general.

I never had a reason to disconnect it (until now). I had to resolder the USB jack on my DR-70 after less than a year of use. I can only assume that the repetitive connection/disconnection of the USB battery pack contributed to the problem so I just got in the practice of leaving it connected. With both decks, I've attached the battery to the deck with Handi-Tak so I treat it as one unit and just leave them connected.

I think I got to the bottom of this yesterday. Before, I disconnected the DC output cable from the battery and saw no drain on the battery overnight. But if I leave the output cable connected to the battery only (no deck at the other end), the battery loses 25% overnight. Anytime the output cable is connected, the battery's display and backlight turn on and stay on. I wouldn't have thought the little display was much of a load but apparently, that's what draws the battery down. I'm sure I'll have the same issue using the Hirose jack, I'll just have to get in the habit of pulling the cable from the battery when I'm not using it. I can find no way to turn the display off and it's disappointing to think that this unnecessary additional drain is happening whenever I'm running the deck.

> My first time out with the deck I ran 6 mics @P48. After three hours the battery was down to 75% capacity- is this normal or is my deck drawing too much current?

Six mics for three hours and only using 25 percent, if I'm reading this correct, is remarkably good.

You read it right but I misspoke. It was 4 mics @P48, 2 @PiP.  So long as it gets me through a full festival day...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:35:00 PM by Perry »

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2018, 09:53:01 AM »
4 Mics with PP is still very good on going down 25%.
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2018, 10:43:51 PM »
I wrote up my hopes, dreams, and wishes for the Zoom F8n:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/what-id-like-to-see-in-the-new-zoom-f8n/

(and hopefully even some firmware updates we might see for the original F8/F4)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
has anyone had any experience with zoom service? Im sending in my F8 to have them look at it.

They told Doug Oade, who currently has my unit, that they would attempt to fix my unit and then if they could not they would offer some sort of discount toward another piece of gear or another f8 from them, even when its out of warranty...

Doug was originally under the impression full compass did service for zoom, but they told him that Zoom had also denied them the schematics and everything the same way they did Doug, and that it had to be sent to Zoom themselves.

I was wondering if anyone has had service work done that was unable to be repaired and already out of warranty, how much of a price break on another piece of gear they might be offering. Ive never dealt with a company who did such a thing.

Im fairly confident in the fact that it is dead, even without schematics or anything from zoom, im confident that if anyone is capable of fixing it, Doug is the one. He had already tore it down completely previously, and put it back together attempting to see if anything on the unit could be modified that would benefit me, which there wasnt. The unit was damaged afterwards, in the hands of someone else.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:40:58 PM by caymanreview »

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2018, 10:56:21 PM »
When an original F8 is worth maybe six hundred bucks at most on the secondhand market, then it is hard to justify repairing it in many instances.

However when the problem is Zoom's fault (like with a few early models of the F8 and their white screen of death) then Zoom has been excellent in replacing them from what I've seen.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2018, 09:20:46 AM »
Wow, I just found out that the Zoom F8 made up TWENTY FIVE PERCENT of Zoom's sales! :-o 
Good grief, no wonder they followed it up with an F4 and now a F8n!

That must be a tonne of F8 recorders that they sold over the years.  Zillions of them. 

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2018, 07:10:25 AM »
I finally got around to calling the Zoom Service number. It was answered on the second ring by a knowledgeable and courteous guy who immediatly said they would replace my unit at no cost, and even pay shipping for mine to come to them.

I was sure he misunderstood me when i said it was way out of warranty coverage and i had to interupt him because i was positive he hadnt heard me correctly. He kind of chuckled a bit and shocked me by saying that my issue isnt a constantly seen issue it is however one they have had issues with, and they would treat my unit as if it were under full warranty with my proof of purchase from a authorized Zoom Sales retailer.

Mine was purchased 2/16/16 from b&h amd a screenshot of the order history on my b&h account of the purchase info was more than enough to satisfy him.

I was offered a new unit up front for a temp 500$ hold to a cc til my unit arrived, or they could ship a new one right out as soon as they receive mine.

I spaced on asking if i could chip in the addition 200$ the F8n retail price is appearing to be set at, and get a f8n instead. I hope they will allow that, as i will def be doing that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com