Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5  (Read 124510 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2018, 05:42:22 PM »
Last night I had the opportunity to utilize the Wingman app. I was at the Arvada Center in Arvada, CO. The best place to put my stand was on a ledge that was on top of the soundboard area. I was able to monitor my levels and recorder status from about 9 yards away at my lawn seat. It was pretty cool to see that everything was well by viewing my phone without having my bag right in-front of me. I love this thing! Its my favorite recorder ever. ;D
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Online checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2018, 11:43:32 AM »
Update on the headphone preset editing issue. From SD:

'Thank you for contacting us. This issue only appears in Custom mode when setting Gain: Basic and Headphone: Advanced. Upon further testing, Basic and Advanced Mode does not have this issue. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.'
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline borjam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2018, 03:14:03 PM »
I received exactly the same answer.

So now they know. The custom/basic/advanced options create quite a complicated entanglement of options ;)
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline lovebuzz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »
I haven't been keeping up this thread at all, I haven't logged in much lately.  Can someone tell me how to disable ch 1 and 2?  At one point i read something about a firmware update that included the option to disable recording the overall mix (ch 1 and 2).

Thanks.  These are long threads.

Online checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2018, 03:23:24 PM »
Record:Rec L,R:Off
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »
Hi, everyone. I'm in New Jersey and I'd like to check out a MixPre-6 in person. I was offered to check one out in Washington, DC but I haven't had the chance to drive down to do it.
Is anyone in NJ / NYC / Philadelphia willing to let me see the MixPre-6 in person? I'm debating on MixPre-3 (and using Sony M10 for extra channels), or getting the MixPre-6. Need to determine if the 6 is small enough for stealth. Can meet at a show or to just to get a drink. Thank you.

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »
Gotham Sound in NY have them. They're cool folk. They'll help you out.
https://www.gothamsound.com/product/mixpre-3-recorder

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2018, 05:39:57 PM »
I'm debating on MixPre-3 (and using Sony M10 for extra channels), or getting the MixPre-6. Need to determine if the 6 is small enough for stealth.

what type of situation are you referring to by stealth, exactly? i just got a mixpre-6 recently, and i certainly consider it to be stealthable in terms of shows where open taping isn't allowed at small clubs that have no security -- the types of shows where there's a ticket taker and ID checker and otherwise you just walk right in. if, however, you're referring to being able to get the mixpre-6 (or 3) into arenas and other venues that use walkthrough detectors, wands and thorough patdowns, probably not. without getting into stealth talk too much, as that's frowned upon around here, you'd definitely have to be really creative and go above and beyond the norm to make the mixpres work in that scenario. i'm not planning on using it in those types of scenarios. and furthermore, i'm not sure the size difference between the 3 and 6 would be big enough to make a difference in this regard, as they both contain quite a bit of metal i think, and both would be easily found by any semi-competent door search.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2018, 06:36:15 PM »
Any type of stealthing, including the latter type you recommended. Metal isn't the problem; it's the size, and it's a good point you made that their size is almost the same.
Without the battery, we're talking 1.3" and .3" additional, which isn't much. It's the square shape that makes it challenging to walk in.
5.68” x 4.35” versus 6.53” x 4.65”

For reference, a Sony M10 is 4.5" x 2.5" area, and I find that easy to bring in anywhere.
A Sonosax SX-M2 preamp's area is 5.75″ x 3.4″.

I'm debating on MixPre-3 (and using Sony M10 for extra channels), or getting the MixPre-6. Need to determine if the 6 is small enough for stealth.

what type of situation are you referring to by stealth, exactly? i just got a mixpre-6 recently, and i certainly consider it to be stealthable in terms of shows where open taping isn't allowed at small clubs that have no security -- the types of shows where there's a ticket taker and ID checker and otherwise you just walk right in. if, however, you're referring to being able to get the mixpre-6 (or 3) into arenas and other venues that use walkthrough detectors, wands and thorough patdowns, probably not. without getting into stealth talk too much, as that's frowned upon around here, you'd definitely have to be really creative and go above and beyond the norm to make the mixpres work in that scenario. i'm not planning on using it in those types of scenarios. and furthermore, i'm not sure the size difference between the 3 and 6 would be big enough to make a difference in this regard, as they both contain quite a bit of metal i think, and both would be easily found by any semi-competent door search.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2018, 06:37:35 PM »
Thank you; I'll contact them about checking one out before buying.
Are there preferred retailers out there?

Gotham Sound in NY have them. They're cool folk. They'll help you out.
https://www.gothamsound.com/product/mixpre-3-recorder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2018, 06:55:48 PM »
I just discovered the 3M and 6M models. I read the Comparison on sounddevices.com and the 3M and 6M are for recording concerts, whereas the 3 and 6 are for Video use. Is that correct?

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2018, 07:22:04 PM »
I just discovered the 3M and 6M models. I read the Comparison on sounddevices.com and the 3M and 6M are for recording concerts, whereas the 3 and 6 are for Video use. Is that correct?

I believe you will find that the non M versions are better for our purposes.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #192 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:22 PM »

My understanding is that the M versions are more geared to M-usicians recording their own music and/or using a DAW. Why they are $100 less and yet it costs $100 extra for the software to be added to a regular MixPre6 is what I can’t figure out. Not that I’ve tried very hard to find out.

To the person who asked if there are any preferred retailers, I couldn’t find any difference in price anywhere, and no difference in any accessories. I just yesterday ordered one from Sweetwater who have treated me well in the past and are relatively close to me (although the factory is closer).

AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2018, 02:28:01 AM »

Not quite.

The M versions are suited to musicians who wish to record multiple tracks and mix them in box without using a DAW, doing overdubs, etc. They are great to record rehearsals without lunging a computer, audio interface, etc.

For field recording (including concerts) features such as MS decoding (which is absent from the M versions) are really important, while overdub, reverb and such are useless.

So: the best option is the non M version.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2018, 03:13:50 AM »
M versions lack the bluetooth hardware and the USB-A port for a keyboard to type in track info. I don't find either all that useful, since the Wingman app is crashy, but it is hardware that they don't have to include on the M series. Software to them doesn't cost extra, but if we bought the boxes without it, it would be natural to assume that they'd charge for it.

Speaking of software, I hope they release some sort of freebie to let us check it out. Or maybe open it up so we could write out own plugins?! Third Party party??  :tomato: :smash: :wink2: :yack: :yahoo: 
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.147 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com