Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who's got a ROKU??  (Read 28321 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Who's got a ROKU??
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:46:11 PM »

Just picked up a Ruku HD (came in the mail today).

I got it mostly to watch MLB.TV on the HDTV, and I've got to say....FREAKIN' AWESOME!! Only downer is no way to automatically skip to an inning (which you can do on a normal computer).

Picture quality is pretty close to regular HD. Sort of like crappy Comcast HD (I'd give a slight edge to Comcast...not as good as Satellite HD). I have seen a slightly better picture on my laptop, but only when I'm at work.  It is much more reliable on the Roku than on my laptop (at least when I'm at home, at work I have a repulsively fast connection).

My sister has Netflix, so I'll add that when I can get her password (she isn't into the tech thing enough to bother with leaning anything new). I'll report back with picture quality for Netflix (unless someone else can comment about it).

This thing is TINY as well. It's about the same dimension as a CD case (but taller, obviously).

I have to say, best $99 I've spent on the entertainment center.

If you're into MLB I think you can get the Roku HD for $80 with a MLB.TV subscription. As a huge Mets fan living in Colorado, MLB.TV is great to have.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Who's got a ROKU??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:39:49 AM »
One time considered the Roku, but then refurbished Samsung Blueray disc players for just $89 at Tigerdirect.com having Netfilx, Blockbuster, Youtube, and Pandora ability, and from experience, the picture off netflix is excellent HD if having ~7 meg DSL or cable grade service and at least a monitor with component or HDMI connections.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline neumannkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 06:53:58 AM »
Ive had the Roku for over a year. I have it wired and use it for movies and the picture quality is very good. I just replaced it with a blueray that streams and will be using the box wireless in another room. 

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »
The only thing I need to add is Blu-Ray playback and streaming from my media server, so I'll have to look into one of those Blu-ray players with streaming.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:06:12 AM »
+ 1 for Roku.  Picked one up when they were first introduced & beta tested new features for them on a few occasions. 
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 11:57:03 AM »
Can these stream movie files from your computer? (m4v, etc.).

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 12:17:17 PM »
I have had the Roku HD-XR for about 5 months now. I absolutely love it. I mainly bought the HD-XR version because it is the only Roku which has a built in USB port on the back. It is currently inactive, but there are rumours that Roku will be activating the USB port to add different features that the other Roku boxes won't be able to do.

When I'm waiting on a new disc from Netflix to arrive in the mail it's nice to be able to watch all of the movies/shows that are available to watch instantly. Here is a link to a NetFlix "Instant Watch" Tracker. It is updated daily with any new titles that become available for "Instant Watch": http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix/
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »
Why did they limit HD playback to 720p?

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
Can these stream movie files from your computer? (m4v, etc.).

No. Not that I know of, at least.

Why did they limit HD playback to 720p?

So, they can sell you the 1080p version next year!  :P

Hopefully they come out with a version that does 1080p AND can stream music from a media server. I'd be all set then.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 12:44:50 PM »
Just discovered that you can add the Live Music Archive (and other goodies) to the Roku.

http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

The interface leaves a little to be desired...but it works. I haven't had a huge look around, but it seems that you can't access everything. I looked up Cracker and noticed that some of my recordings aren't available. Seems like a lot of them are missing.

Now they need to add a way to access your Subsonic server and it will just about be perfect.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »
Just discovered that you can add the Live Music Archive (and other goodies) to the Roku.

http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

The interface leaves a little to be desired...but it works. I haven't had a huge look around, but it seems that you can't access everything. I looked up Cracker and noticed that some of my recordings aren't available. Seems like a lot of them are missing.

Now they need to add a way to access your Subsonic server and it will just about be perfect.

Wow, didn't know this, just added Live Music Archive.  Thanks
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »
I'm looking at this one after looking at the Roku and WD TV Live Plus:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-TV-STAJ100/dp/B003IT6YFK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I'd appreciate any input. This thing lets you network to your computer to play ISO images too.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 01:17:22 AM »
What do you want to do with it, Chuck?

I don't think the Seagate has channels like Netflix, MLB, etc.

I'm pretty sure the new Roku's have the ability to stream media over your network, but I don't have one of the new ones.

There is a "channel" on my old one that says it will stream media, but I've never played with it yet.

My favorite parts of the Roku:

1. MLB.TV. Obviously only important if you like baseball, and it better not be the Rockies because local games are blacked out (at least until after the game is over).
2. Netflix. Works really well on the Roku.
3. LMA streaming. This needs work, but you can listen to pretty much the entire LMA. It's not super easy to navigate though.

All I need to do is figure out if I can stream TV shows that I've downloaded off my media server to the Roku and it will have everything I want. Well that and a NHL channel, but that doesn't seem to be coming this year.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 10:02:49 AM »
I first and foremost want to stream Netflix to my HD TV.
From what I've read, the Seagate box does do Netflix streaming in 1080p.

I already have a CAT5 cable run to the TV, so I don't need WiFi.

One question, how can I tell what the connection speed from Comcast is? My step-daughter uses her Samsung BD player to stream Netflix (via WiFi) and the picture quality isn't that great. I assume it's because the WiFi connection isn't very fast. ???
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »
Chuck...Unless you're Comcast is REALLY slow you shouldn't have any problems with streaming HD. WiFi could be an issue, especially if you're using a channel that others around you are using. I can stream HD to my Roku. I do use CAT5e though just to be on the safe side.

I believe HD is going to be around 5Mbps and my Comcast usually tests around 10Mbps. Actually just tested mine. Even with Wireless G I pin the needle at 10Mbps on my desktop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com