Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD video to DVD using vegas settings?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
HD video to DVD using vegas settings?
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
Hi I use a Canon HF S200 camcorder and I was wondering what is the best settings to use because when I render my mts files to mpeg2 they don't look so great. I think there is something wrong with my settings. Is mpeg2 the best file format for DVDs?

Also would I need to use a different setting if I give my DVD to someone who has a standard 4:3 TV? I gave someone my DVD before and they said they look as if they were stretched. So what do I do to make my movies keep the correct image without stretching it?

Thanks a lot.

Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: HD video to DVD using vegas settings?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:17:07 AM »
For DVD you have to use MPEG-2.  That is DVD standard so you have no choice there. 

From what I've read if you are using AVHCD video like yours you need to use an intermediate codec and render to an AVI file and encode that to MPEG-2 because of the pixel aspect ratio.  With HDV video the PAR is close enough that that of SD video that you can get good results going straight from Vegas to MPEG-2. 

I've rendered 24p and 30p HDV from my Canon HV40 straight from Vegas and it looks great.  I've seen others who had the same quality results.

I'd say go register at DV Info forums (www.dvinfo.net/forums) and read up on the threads there in the Vegas sub forum.

I can tell you a couple things about your settings there you may need to look at though.  Your bitrate  is too high for one.  9,800,000 is the max bitrate for audio and video combined.  Take your audio bitrate and subtract it from that number and what is left should be your video bitrate.  If you are using PCM WAV audio use 8Mbps video.

Also under the Advanced tab set your DV coefficient tab to 10 bit.  That doesn't make a huge difference but doesn't hurt either.  Also under Project tab make sure you set video rendering quality to best.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:40:21 AM »
hi thanks for ur reply. So u r saying i should render my mts video files to avi first and then to mpeg2? I went straight to mpeg2 frm mts - mayb that was my mistake? Thanks a lot.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline sabre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 02:40:04 AM »
No, there's no need to convert your MTS file to AVI first. As long as your video editor/encoder can handle MTS files then keep it in the original format.

I convert straight from MTS to MPEG-2 with no issues whatsoever.

Regarding producing DVDs that work on a 4:3 tv. Make sure you encode your video in a 16:9 aspect ratio. When you author your DVD (create menu, chapter points etc) you can specify how you want your video to be displayed on 4:3 televisions. I'm not sure what authoring software you're using, but there should be an option to "pan and scan" or "letterbox" the display. I would make sure both options are ticked so the DVD player can play it properly.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:38:14 PM »
Ideally you should be able to go straight from the Vegas timeline to MPEG-2 but from what I've read on the DV Info message board about the issue numerous people who worked with AVCHD said the pixel aspect ratio of HDV is close enough to SD video that you can convert to MPEG-2 and get nice results but the PAR of AVCHD is further off and they got better results using an intermediate codec. 

Personally I have only worked with HDV so I can't say for sure about the other.  I go straight to MPEG-2 from Vegas and it looks great.

Offline exxile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 04:32:36 AM »
Your settings seem ok. I always import the mts files straight into Vegas then render out to mpeg2, albeit in PAL format (thus, aspect ratio is different from NTSC, 1:457 as opposed to 1:212). The only other setting I change from yours is the Field Order, which I leave at Progressive. Either way, the results for DVD playback are good for me.

As previously mentioned, no need to change your settings for playback on a 4:3 TV, letterboxing or pan/scan would be normal, depending on settings used when authoring the DVD. There can sometimes be override options on the TV/DVD player, although I've never had any problems with this.

When you say your mpeg2 exports don't look so great, how do you mean?

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »
Do you mean when there is motion it looks bad?that would be an interlacing problem and is fixed by deinterlacing your footage.why not just stay in high definition?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com