Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transport vs Player  (Read 3648 times)

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Transport vs Player
« on: March 31, 2004, 11:18:23 AM »
OK, Still working on building my home system and looking at some upgrades in the coming months.  What is the difference between a transport and a player?  

Is it that the transport has no d/a in it and you are going external for that?  Is there osmething more?

Jonny

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re:Transport vs Player
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 12:06:13 PM »
OK, Still working on building my home system and looking at some upgrades in the coming months.  What is the difference between a transport and a player?  

Is it that the transport has no d/a in it and you are going external for that?  Is there osmething more?

Jonny

correct, with a transport you will need an external D/A converter.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 12:09:01 PM »
ok then the next question- are cd or sacd transports any different from eachother?  i mean they are all passing 0/1's

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 12:14:38 PM »
i believe they are widely different in the amount of jitter they produce.

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 12:19:19 PM »
ok so then next question, im debating buying a bel canto d/a or the benchmark d/a, is a 300 dollar transport gonna really crimp my system (ie the idea of running oktavas into a v3)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 12:21:34 PM »
i can't answer that as i do not have an external D/A...check out this oade thread

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 12:24:19 PM »
cool, thanks damon!

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 12:26:33 PM »
I'm a Bel Canto fan!,..... though sadly, at present, I listen through the onboard dacs :-X  Gonna be that way for a while too, 'cuz sarge has done shut me down on spending.
(anyone wanna buy a boat? ;D )

you spent your allowance too quickly and now you've been shut down!

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 12:27:01 PM »
the two happiest days of a boat owner- the day he buys it and the day he sells it

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 01:20:15 PM »
Good one Mike!

as to transports and such....

One thing to be *warry* of is older transports may not like a lot of CD-Rs.  Carl can only play about 1/3rd of his CDs due to his old parasound not liking them.

I have been VERY happy with the Musical Fidelity CD-PRE24, which is an SS preamp, transport and DAC right out of the tri-vista CD player (which is sweet, and sells for around $5k).  I paid $1290 for it brand new.   Replaced my tube pre, philips 963sa that I used as transport, and my smART DIO DAC, all in one box.  Got to sell all that gear, two pairs of ICs and a digi cable.  Paid for itself, and BLOWS my old setup AWAY !!

Cant stress enough the importance of a good front end.  Its where the "crap in , crap out" rule starts.
actualy I guess it starts w/the listening material, but this is 2nd in line.

fwiw, I really like the Benchmark...but think it may be a tad bright sounding???

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 06:02:55 AM »
It "may" be a little bright but in my system used as a pre-amp mated to a big tube amp it is just the right amount of detail vs. brightness. I think it is the best bang for the buck I have in my system. Nick's MF set up is really sweet as well & not any more than a Benchmark &  transport. The transport made a huge difference in my system, it is smoother sounding, closer to what I would call analog. Mine is older & won't play any discs that are not silver but man it's worth it!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com