Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maggie love fest?  (Read 7653 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Maggie love fest?
« on: July 02, 2004, 12:50:28 PM »
Just curious as to why the Maggies are so loved on this forum?  I've heard nearly all in the linupe except the MMG's and I will say they are an amazing speaker paired with a nice tight sub.  I say this if you are the only one listening.  Too narrow a sweet spot, need a good 3' or more away from the back wall, and lack HT slam.  If it is strictly a 2-channel system and only one wil listen at a time they are great.  When anyone asks which speakers they should buy, it turns into a Maggie thread.  If HT is a requirement I wouldn't even consider them to be perfectly honest.  I'm not sure why they choose to make a center.  So many other great speakers to listen to at every price point and delivery method (B&M, Internet, Audiogon).  To get it right, I think you must look to Genesis or VMPS that seem to do it right.  Nothing wrong with ribbon tweets!  Also, what studios use these to master movies or recordings?  Unlike Revel, Eggelston, and Wilson I've yet to see any...... but would like to.  Point me there.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 12:53:49 PM by scervin »

jpschust

Re: Maggie love fest?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 12:58:50 PM »
Interesting notes Scott,

I agree completely.  Well kind of.  The sweet spot for the lower priced maggies is very small, however as you move up in the line the sweet spot gets a bit bigger.  IMHO you can make the sweet spot about as big as a regular sized couch, maybe a touch smaller.  I've decided to move away from my maggies for more reason than one and they will be going up for sale very soon.

J

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 01:21:21 PM »
Reading my post it comes off with a rather negative vibe which is not the intent.  They sure have their pros, but in a multi purpose environment I don't see them being the best option.  My problem is the distance from the back wall that they need to experience full potential.  My friend and I played around one afternoon working on placement with the 3.6's.  They ended up coming way out into the room.  If you have a large room that will allow you to bring them out a good 3' or more you have it made.  This room would most likely have to be a basement as a significant other would not allow this in the living room and the extra bed room will be too small. This brings me to my next point WAF (GAF) is very very low with these.   When these show up so should a little teal box.   

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 01:30:15 PM »
maggies certainly aren't the best option for all listening needs but for my listening needs they're wonderful.  my playback isn't integrated into a home theater so i don't need surround sound options and the small sweet spot isn't a problem because i just have one chair in the spot.  i love mine because to my ears they have a detailed sound without being fatiguing, the highs are sweet, and vocals (especially females) are smooth and rich.  the low end is a bit lacking but i'm not a bass nut so i can deal with that until i get around to adding a sub to my setup.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 01:35:18 PM »
Just curious as to why the Maggies are so loved on this forum?

Most posts I've seen here talk about the MMGs.  For many of us, they're the first speaker that really makes us say "Oh, wooowwwwww...", with their detail, imaging, and soundstage.  I think they get a lot of posts primarily because they're such a tremendous value at $550 shipped.

Too narrow a sweet spot, need a good 3' or more away from the back wall, and lack HT slam.  If it is strictly a 2-channel system and only one wil listen at a time they are great.

Agreed.  Pretty darn small sweet spot.  Jen and I listen enjoyably together in the sweet spot, but if we added a third...wouldn't work out very well.  Doesn't sound bad, just not as stellar as within the sweet spot and not really sufficient for critical listening.

When anyone asks which speakers they should buy, it turns into a Maggie thread.  If HT is a requirement I wouldn't even consider them to be perfectly honest.  I'm not sure why they choose to make a center.  So many other great speakers to listen to at every price point and delivery method (B&M, Internet, Audiogon).

I'm not very familiar with HT, but I will say I agree with your previous statement about lacking HT slam.  Based on the little experience I have using my MMGs for fronts in a 5.1 surround HT setup, they definitely lack the slam I like for HT.  But my listening focuses mainly on 2-channel music.  So while I'm considering adding the center and rears to my MMGs for HT so I have better matching across my HT setup, the real reason I keep the MMGs is for music.  I only watch one movie, maybe two a month, tops, on my raggedly put together HT setup.  When I eventually separate my HT and 2-track audio systems, I'll stick with my Maggies (hopefully upgraded!) for 2-track and pick up something new for HT.

Also, what studios use these to master movies or recordings?  Unlike Revel, Eggelston, and Wilson I've yet to see any...... but would like to.  Point me there.

Not a clue.

All in all, I think you bring up some good points, Scott, that anyone considering Maggie's should evaluate.  It all depends on the listening needs and personal preferences of the individual.  For me, for the moment, I love my MMGs.  I have grand plans for changes to my playback system (don't we all), both 2-track and HT, but they'll have to wait a while as I have other priorities presently.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 01:36:00 PM »
another of my big problems is that there is NO bass to these whatsoever.  really gotta have a nice tight sub (read velodyne :-)) to cover 40 and below

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 01:41:52 PM »
another of my big problems is that there is NO bass to these whatsoever.  really gotta have a nice tight sub (read velodyne :-)) to cover 40 and below

Or Rel!   It is important to mention that a sub is needed with these which adds a good $300-500 to the cost.  Lush highs can be found in soft domes.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 01:48:16 PM by scervin »

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 01:43:22 PM »
so, scott, you know of anyone who would be interested in a pair of magnepan 10.1 qrs?

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 01:45:23 PM »
Not at the moment, I'm currently looking into Aerial, Pro AC, and Von Schweikert. 

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 01:47:14 PM »
what is your price range?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 01:59:47 PM »
An option for maggies close to the wall is to put a diffuser behind them like a room lens.  That will break up the rear reflections that kill the soundstage.

Edit:  for got to mention, if you really want a tight sub, expect to pay in the 700-1000 range used.  The rels and vandys are in this range. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 02:02:37 PM by teabag »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 02:01:36 PM »
An option for maggies close to the wall is to put a diffuser behind them like a room lens.  That will break up the rear reflections that kill the soundstage.

This is true and we have tried this.  As soon as the wife entered the room it wasn't an option....

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 02:04:52 PM »

This is true and we have tried this.  As soon as the wife entered the room it wasn't an option....

;-);-);-) I had the same problem! 

My current tactic is to say "these are just here for an experiment".  I'm moving them back and forth between the listening room and garage, but the time they stay inside grows longer each time ;-).
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 02:10:40 PM »

;-);-);-) I had the same problem! 

My current tactic is to say "these are just here for an experiment".  I'm moving them back and forth between the listening room and garage, but the time they stay inside grows longer each time ;-).

I forgot to mention the nice 55" 16:9 tv.... one nice reflective surface there!  This is my main reason for leaving it behind and moving to front projection.  Yes, those are reflective as well, but I'll be treating the front wall with linacoustic and wood diffusor wrapped in GOM.  Wife signed off on this.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 02:56:05 PM »
funny you don't think MMG's can do HT.  The first time my inlaws were over they wanted to know where the surround speakers were.  They were amazed when I said it was a simple 2-channel stereo system.  They had just built a house with a professionally installed HT system and they thought mine was more "surround" sounding than theirs.  Its all about the imaging.

in the end I did get rid of the MMG's because I didn't have the time to sit and listen from the sweet spot.  I was too busy and was always moving around and anyone who's had MMG's knows as soon as you stand up the image collapses and the HF just don't sound right.

No other $550 speaker will give you the amount of WOW factor the MMG's do, though.  The imaging and natural timber/tone of instruments are incredible at that price.  They are a great intro to audiophile sound.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline jjjewett

• Taperssection Regular
  • brown trout
    • my website
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2004, 05:48:35 PM »
They are a great intro to audiophile sound.

exactly

jpschust

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2004, 05:55:57 PM »

No other $550 speaker will give you the amount of WOW factor the MMG's do, though.  The imaging and natural timber/tone of instruments are incredible at that price.  They are a great intro to audiophile sound.

Craig, I don't know that I'd agree with that.  I think there are a lot of speakers +/- 50 bucks from 550 that will give you just as good of sound, even some with better sound.  one of the things that newbies to the audiophile game love about them is how different they look than other sorts of speakers.  im not dissing the sound of them all- i think they sound great, especially at the price point, but my point is that there are a lot of other speakers at that price point that sound great as well.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2004, 06:17:54 PM »
I think there are a lot of speakers +/- 50 bucks from 550 that will give you just as good of sound, even some with better sound.

Do tell.  In researching my speakers, I didn't find any speakers in the price range with the broad-based positive feedback of the MMGs.  I spent a good chunk of time reading reviews on audioasylum, audiogon, etc., not so much places like audioreview.com.  I didn't have the time, inclination, or the dealer relationship to test-listen a whole range of speakers, so I read up quite a bit.  I'm sure others here would love to hear of speakers in the same price range with as good or better imaging, detail, soundstaging, and...whatever other sonic characteristics you find especially positive in comparably priced speakers.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

jpschust

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2004, 06:40:09 PM »
well it depends on what exactly you are going for.  the swans diva 4.1 is right in that price range, especially used.  the b&w 700 series bookshelf speakers are in that range (i believe), there are some paradigms in that range, there is a lot out there. 

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2004, 07:10:43 AM »

and therein lies the answer as to why the Maggies are such a love fest.
they can't be beat for the money.  Yes, there are limitations, but there are far more advanteges to outweigh them.

i am still dreaming of that magnepan sound, and i'm very certain that I'll own another pair someday.  I could easily see a set of 3.2r or 3.3r (or 3.6 if i'm lucky) in my living room with a nice sub. 

If I ever have an HT system, it will be maggie based.  I can't immagine one of their surround packages sounding anything less than completely realistic and holographic just based on what I've heard out of two speakers.  And,their starter surround kit is only $900 new!  daaammmmmnnnnnn!!!

I love my VR4's, they give me everything that the maggies ever did, except a certain "magical somethng" that I got very used to and is now gone.
Maybe it was just a really, really strong first impression that they made on me.  I'm sure that has a lot to do w/it.  One thing I know is that i'll *never* own another pair of Martin Logans any time soon.  Having heard both, i'll go Maggie any day if I go back to flat speakers.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 12:40:01 AM »

exactly

"that's fucking interesting; that's fucking interesting..." - the dude
good, clear, concise info in this thread. +T all
armen

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2004, 03:32:05 AM »

exactly

"that's fucking interesting; that's fucking interesting..." - the dude
good, clear, concise info in this thread. +T all
armen

lol

no really, I am laughing my ass off at that quote

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2004, 06:04:55 PM »
well it depends on what exactly you are going for.  the swans diva 4.1 is right in that price range, especially used.  the b&w 700 series bookshelf speakers are in that range (i believe), there are some paradigms in that range, there is a lot out there. 

Agreed, there are many speakers at that price point using conventional drivers. However Maggies seem like the cheapest way to get the unique sound of planar speakers in your house.

BC

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

jpschust

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2004, 07:13:40 PM »
i agree that for that "planar sound" in the lower end of the price range maggies are the way to go.  btw, im kind of curious about b&w's planar speaker.  ive heard they are a bit boomy.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com