Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices New MixPre Series  (Read 107027 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices New MixPre Series
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »
Some MixPre audio samples uploaded here ...

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-3/audio-samples

Very impressive samples!  Fellow pianist here, and I'm curious to know if you are playing on any or all of the C7 piano samples.  Excellent playing for the opening the Mephisto Waltz, but the Rachmaninov was a better recording with these mics in this space at the closer distance.  Would love to hear what the MixPre can do with a top quality set of omnis (Gefell M296, Josephson C617 or such) on a concert grand in a good hall.

Extremely low self-noise on these preamps also.  Very well done!

Yes - all the C7 samples were me - a bit ragged but thats what you get when you're unrehearsed and focussing on preamp recording. These were intentionally recorded raw and dry so you can easily hear preamps. I very much agree that it would be great to hear some top quality omnis on a grand in a concert hall -  I'll see if we can arrange something.

You're being very humble.  Speaking as a mainly classical guy, your Rachmaninov and Liszt performances were not at all ragged - really very nice playing.  I'm not as qualified to critique your jazz examples, but they sounded great also.

I completely understand the decision to record these tracks in a dry home acoustic, and it really does make the quality of the preamps very apparent.  I downloaded the tracks and the spectrograms confirmed the very quiet background.  This is how I record myself at home also (albeit on a Yamaha U1) so I was especially interested to hear these.

Thanks for posting these, and for all of the great info you've shared here.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2017, 06:55:35 PM »

Thanks for posting these, and for all of the great info you've shared here.

You're welcome

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2017, 02:37:25 AM »
Second that ... Thanks, Paul, for dropping in and answering questions. Ordered the MP6 on Thursday.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »
Paul, the Beethoven Medley is my favourite. I thought you managed to put a lot of heart into your playing, despite the session's focus on demonstrating the preamps.

Also, I liked the mic position on that one and on "Ethereal". They made the C7 sound like a totally different/better instrument than on "Dark Sustain" or "JazzyThang" where the piano sounded harsh and closed in. (I assume the mics were placed nearer on those than on the first two I mentioned.)

And let me add my thanks for all your patient replies to all the questions.

I had already placed my order for a MixPre-6 before hearing these samples, but they confirmed for me that it was the right decision -- regardless of the sad state of the Canuck buck!

And here's a mouth-watering picture from jwsoundgroup.net for those of us awaiting delivery...

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #289 on: May 21, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »
B+H has the current availability at:

Expected availability: Jun 7, 2017

I'm assuming that is if I order today (as opposed to when I ordered a few weeks ago and it said "End of May."

...really hoping to get this thing in my hands by TAB on 5/31, but I know it's likely I won't have it until Panic at Red Rocks (which at least leaves plenty of time to play with it...not that I expect it to be hard to figure out.

Anyone that ordered the first day get a shipping notification yet?
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #290 on: May 21, 2017, 04:28:25 PM »
Not yet and I would be shocked if I did.  Gotham sales told me they are only getting 4 in the first batch

B+H has the current availability at:

Expected availability: Jun 7, 2017

I'm assuming that is if I order today (as opposed to when I ordered a few weeks ago and it said "End of May."

...really hoping to get this thing in my hands by TAB on 5/31, but I know it's likely I won't have it until Panic at Red Rocks (which at least leaves plenty of time to play with it...not that I expect it to be hard to figure out.

Anyone that ordered the first day get a shipping notification yet?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:44:42 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #291 on: May 21, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »
I am quite interested to hear how good the Mixpre's preamps are compared to other SD devices and to the F8.  I am currently using a USBPre2 to feed the main pair of my F8, and using the stock F8 pres for other mics and board feeds.  I am awaiting the new portable Pueblo pre as well.  While I expect that the Mixpre's preamps will be better than those in the F8, it will be interesting if there is a significant audible difference compared to using a good outboard pre with the F8.  Of course, purely in the interest of portability, I may just need to pick up a Mixpre 6 as well. ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:49:32 PM by pohaku »
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #292 on: May 21, 2017, 08:15:44 PM »
Not yet and I would be shocked if I did.  Gotham sales told me they are only getting 4 in the first batch

I would assume SD will ship higher quantities based on the stores volume of sales...so B+H should get more than Gotham.

That being said, I would also expect that B+H really had no idea how many they would get in the first batch so they really didn't have an accurate way of pushing back the delivery date. I am planning on NOT getting mine when they said I would. :D
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #293 on: May 21, 2017, 09:22:55 PM »
i want a mixpre-6.  i know it's loaded with features (mostly that i don't need/use). 

but really, for what we/i do...  it's not much of an improvement over my Oade CM R-44.  I'm looking for eight powered XLR/TRS inputs for eight ISO channels.  I would totally buy a mixpre-6 if it had six.  those extra two (almost afterthought) channels aren't upping the ante for me.  i guess i can use those channels for a dedicated soundboard patch.  can you JUST use those two side channels only? 

that said, the convoluted way of distributing and controlling gain across those six channels also has me worried.  i'd like dedicated knobs for each channel as well.  if the unit is bigger because of it, so be it.

anyone care to sell me on the mixpre-6?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:24:45 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #294 on: May 22, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »
good news my mixpre3 is on its way. they are not expecting the 8aa sled for another 2 wks but at least ill have the 4aa sled . plus i bought a usbc to usba cable .Location sound just called about 10 min ago and  gave me the good news.say they will ship it out today.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #295 on: May 22, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »
^ great news, congrats.

Looks like Gotham got 4 of each:

https://twitter.com/GothamSound/status/866667614101221377/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gothamsound.com%2F

Unfortunately, I haven't been called yet so I probably wasn't one of them.

Offline stuartprovine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #296 on: May 22, 2017, 04:11:09 PM »
Really hoping that in a future firmware update that these recorders will be able to synchronize in a master / slave kind of fashion.  I imagine that one master unit could send sample clock and transport commands over the HDMI cable.  I know there's no TC generator, but even having sync'd clocks and transport would be great for my needs.  Fingers crossed.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #297 on: May 22, 2017, 05:12:00 PM »
Trew said they are getting enough to cover their earliest orders and mine should ship this week (Mixpre-6) ...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #298 on: May 22, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »
Got my tracking notice from Gotham!
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #299 on: May 22, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
Me too!  Thanks Ted

Got my tracking notice from Gotham!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com