Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: rakgear backpack vs  (Read 4266 times)

Offline haftodo

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
rakgear backpack vs
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:49:30 PM »
I would like to move into a backpack.    (sd702, mics, lg. windscreens, cables...someday a preamp)
Do any of the newer, available, backpacks work well, and do they have shelves similar to the old rakgear backpacks? 

I found these:
Ivar core 10 ...has some sort of shelves....are these shelves deep enough?
targus rg0322 ...looks like it fan folds open...does it work?
Taylor Musician's Gear Bag ....has some compartments..and backpack straps.

-haf
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:02:08 PM by haftodo »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: rakgear backpack vs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:31:35 AM »
The only issue with backpacks[and this could be isolated incidents], but some venues around Pittsburgh DO NOT ALLOW BACKPACKS, no matter what the reason ;) I would go with a larger style LowePro, etc camera bag. Plus, everything is on the same plane, versus having each piece of gear on one shelf ;)

As always, YMMV 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline haftodo

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
I recall seeing some other discussions about backpacks being denied access.    I use a travel bag with some pockets and it works okay but gets heavy because I keep cramming everything in it.  Building a backpack would let me just pack what I need and leave the rest behind in the other bag. 

A lot of the lowepro camera bags look good and they also have backpacks.  But, are the inside pockets or compartments adjustable and at the right depth?  I 'll go by rei or someplace and see some of these.
-haf

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »
I suggest you make custom racks for your gear.  It really isn't that difficult. And it's dirt cheap.  It's amazing the custom rack you can build for about $10.

It was a popular topic here years ago. Plenty of threads and pics.  You use those plastic covered wire dish racks sold at places like Target, held together with zip ties and maybe stainless steel wire.  Hence the name "target rack".

The backpack mostly ends up being a cover, or outer shell.  High density foam can be added to the rack to provide protection in case of drops or other impacts.

Backpacks... I use both a $10 wally world pack and a Cairn.  The WW pack had a lifetime warranty and I am on my second one.  The zippers are light, the bag is light.  Good size though. I still use it a lot.  The Cairn is really well built. Heavy duty everything.  They had sales on them years ago when they introduced the Cairn II.

If you do your rack correctly, you could take your rig in without a backpack.  Or the backpack could be in a pocket.  Or you could put your rack in a clear bag.  Etc.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 09:56:59 AM »
Not that i agree, but i can somewhat see venues having a problem with backpacks since lots of people carry packs and they can carry lots of stuff, so they don't want to allow some but not all of them.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »
I have an older rakgear pack I would like to get rid of :)
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:03:41 PM »
I've been using a rakgear backpack for years, and I like it because if I have to walk a long ways I can slip in on both shoulders like a real backpack, and my V3/R4/batteries just fit in there nicely, and I can carry every connector/adapter I want in the pockets.  But surprisingly I can't seem to fit any more stuff in it than I can my green Sonic Case.  It looks like it has a lot more cubic inches, but the frame takes up quite a bit of it.

I got hassled about "no backpacks" once at HOB, but they let me in with a firm warning.

The Rakgear sucks when it comes to seated shows... it takes up the whole foot room area and the front of the gear isn't visible.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »
Had a Rakgear and HATED it. One of the three "raks" immediately broke off so I was left with two for my gear. The major problem was how large the thing was. It was like dragging a medicine ball with me to every show. Inconvenient in virtually all taping situations because of its sheer size.

I got a Sonicase and love it. So much easier to manage and only around one cubic foot.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 03:09:09 PM »

me, too. I have a black rakgear deluxe sitting in the attic

Offline hubbachild

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »

me, too. I have a black rakgear deluxe sitting in the attic

How much for those old dusty rakpacks that aren't getting used? I'll take them if the price right :)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »
no idea. tell me what you want to pay :)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
I would like to move into a backpack.    (sd702, mics, lg. windscreens, cables...someday a preamp)
Do any of the newer, available, backpacks work well, and do they have shelves similar to the old rakgear backpacks? 

I found these:
Ivar core 10 ...has some sort of shelves....are these shelves deep enough?
targus rg0322 ...looks like it fan folds open...does it work?
Taylor Musician's Gear Bag ....has some compartments..and backpack straps.

-haf

The absolute best bag for the 702 and mics is a sonicase...  I have a friend who also uses a lowpro bag that works great too.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline scb

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
again, I have a rakgear deluxe i'll basically give away.  just pay for shipping. 

who wants it?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.28 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com