Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A question regarding watt hours  (Read 9239 times)

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
A question regarding watt hours
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
I bought an external battery to use with a SD MixPre-D. The battery is rated at 98 watt hours (26400 mAh). I was told that the MixPre-D draws about .09mA (without P48) and my mics (Josephson C42mp) are rated 48mA (I would assume each) and the battery and MixPre-D are both 12 volt.

So my question is how long should I expect the battery to last?

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: A question regarding watt hours
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
48mA would be a huge draw for a mic. This: http://www.josephson.com/pdf/srs4.pdf says 4.5 mA.

Is it this battery?
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=161651.0

I think it's going to last more hours than you can tape....
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
48mA would be a huge draw for a mic. This: http://www.josephson.com/pdf/srs4.pdf says 4.5 mA.

Is it this battery?
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=161651.0

I think it's going to last more hours than you can tape....

My mistake on the mic I just looked again and it is 4.5 mA (I saw the 48v for phantom) and yes that is the battery I ordered. I might also use the battery to run my PMD661 since it puts out 5v and I already have the cable. If it works as a festie battery I will be very happy.

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:54:11 PM »
I suspect the Mixpre uses more than 0.09mA, which is 90 *micro*amps.  Maybe 90mA, or 0.09A?  At 12V, that's 1W.

According to this spec:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixpred/specs/

2x AA is about 5Wh, so that's around 1W without phantom.

With phantom, probably between 1.5W and 2W, depending on the mics.

You are correct the tech at Sound Devices said 0.09 A with no phantom but if I can get between 1.5W and 2.0 W with my mics I will be able to use it for festies. I have 3 ext. batteries for my PMD661 that give about 11 hours each so hopefully with what I have and rechargeable AA's I should be set.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
i strongly suggest doing a series of "dry runs" with the setup recording ambient noise to see how much time you get out of the battery.  with a solid state recorder, it should be as simple as hitting record and seeing how long the saved recording is when the recorder shuts down.  Do a few tests to confirm consistency and you'll have a good yardstick for how long your specific gear combo can run on your specific battery :)

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »
i strongly suggest doing a series of "dry runs" with the setup recording ambient noise to see how much time you get out of the battery.  with a solid state recorder, it should be as simple as hitting record and seeing how long the saved recording is when the recorder shuts down.  Do a few tests to confirm consistency and you'll have a good yardstick for how long your specific gear combo can run on your specific battery :)

I plan to do that. That is how I measured one of my external batteries for my PMD661.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »
I suspect the Mixpre uses more than 0.09mA, which is 90 *micro*amps.  Maybe 90mA, or 0.09A?  At 12V, that's 1W.

According to this spec:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixpred/specs/

2x AA is about 5Wh, so that's around 1W without phantom.

With phantom, probably between 1.5W and 2W, depending on the mics.

You are correct the tech at Sound Devices said 0.09 A with no phantom but if I can get between 1.5W and 2.0 W with my mics I will be able to use it for festies. I have 3 ext. batteries for my PMD661 that give about 11 hours each so hopefully with what I have and rechargeable AA's I should be set.

You've answered your own question:  if you MixPre-D w/ 48vPP draws 2W of power, a 98WH battery will last (98/2) 49hours...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »
I was looking for a simple formula so the way I figured it out is. 4.5ma x 2 for the mics=0.009A plus 0.09A for the MixPre-D = 0.099A x 12 volts for the battery = 1.188 W then I took the 98W and divided it by 1.188 and got 82.4915... I then figured about 80% efficiency  which means I should get about 66 hours. This is about what I was hoping for when I got it.
My mistake was plugging in the wrong values which threw my calculations way off.
I am going to have a cable made to go from the battery to the MixPre-D so I will have to wait until I get that to try the dry run. I will try a dry run with my Sanyo Eneloops and Energizer Lithium Ultimate (I know this will waste a set) to get an idea.
I will post my results when I get done.

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:10:49 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Trying to come up with a simple formula does not seem that simple.

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 10:32:07 PM »
Bummer. Thought this was a thread about the number of hours Mike Watt has rocked so far. It's a big number.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com