Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is electrical tape advisable to use?  (Read 7027 times)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Is electrical tape advisable to use?
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »
I have a pair of church audio CAFS microphones. The issue I have with that is the wires for the left mic and the right mic get tangled sometimes. I was wondering if it will be okay if I used electrical tape around the two wires and taped it into one, not too tight but nicely. Would taping it have any effect or be dangerous? Also should the two small mics be very close to each other when taping or be apart by a few inches?

thank you

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Is electrical tape advisable to use?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:03:01 PM »
For best results, the mics should be at least ear-width apart, and omnidirectional mics like yours can also sound excellent with much larger spacing. Experiment to find out which width you like best. It will depend on the environment in which you are recording and how far you are from the sound source. Instead of tape, you could try using a velcro strap to keep the cables from getting tangled.

If you decide to go with tape, electrical tape will work, but it leaves a sticky residue behind when you remove it. This is by design to seal out moisture from electrical connections, especially when there is bare wire to be protected. Gaffer tape is superior because it can be removed without leaving a sticky residue.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:06:18 PM »
I have a pair of church audio CAFS microphones. The issue I have with that is the wires for the left mic and the right mic get tangled sometimes. I was wondering if it will be okay if I used electrical tape around the two wires and taped it into one, not too tight but nicely. Would taping it have any effect or be dangerous? Also should the two small mics be very close to each other when taping or be apart by a few inches?

thank you
My mics are designed for you to "use your head" :) and place them on ether side of your head for the best stereo image. Omni even more so than cardioid. Black tape is not good for cables it gets gluey and makes a mess of cables over time. Use a small elastic or you can use a small twist tie.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »
Techflex Flexo F6 self wrapping split braid would be good for pairing the cables together.

http://theelectricaldepot.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=90_92_94
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:10:15 AM »
Not sure the subject is mic spacing, rather the fact the cables aren't attached in any way except at the connector, so tend to get knotted.  I have done what you suggest - a little bit of electrical tape at 6" intervals works fine. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:35:38 AM »
Not sure the subject is mic spacing, rather the fact the cables aren't attached in any way except at the connector, so tend to get knotted.  I have done what you suggest - a little bit of electrical tape at 6" intervals works fine.
Well since he mentioned that he was only spacing  them an inch I thought I would tell him it's not a good idea. just like using black tape on my mics is not a good idea. use small bits of heat shrink if you must gather the cable together or tech flex but not tape. it leaves a sticky residue that can only be removed with though cleaning that can and will over time damage the cable. heat shrink leaves no residue and can be removed with a small heat source it's easy to put on. as a matter of fact I am going to offer it as an option on all my mics from now on.

Offline JonG

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:02:43 PM »
+1 against electrical (or any) tape. The slightly viscous adhesive will rub off onto the cables and away from the tape from fairly warm temperatures- definitely a concern when storing your gear for  >:D.

Heatshrink is a good option, or cable braiding with a small bit of heatshrink on the ends. If you don't have a heatgun and heatshrink already, however, a cheap alternative would be zip ties. Those are also easier to remove than heatshrink tubing and less expensive to waste should you want to separate the cables in the future.
------
https://etreedb.org/EnglishSkylarking
https://lcdb.org/user/EnglishSkylarking
https://archive.org/details/@englishskylarking
------
AT943 / CMC-8 > R-07
AT943 / CMC-8 > SP-ATEN-1 > SP-SAPM-1-USB-C > Moto X4 w/ LineageOS 21
ZS100

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 05:44:38 AM »
You can take things too far.  Keep the tape away from the electrical connectors and you'll be just fine.  I wouldn't want to take a blade to heatshrink or cable ties fitted to CAFS cables.  If you really must avoid tape, just use a small rubber band each time. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 06:46:51 AM »
You can take things too far.  Keep the tape away from the electrical connectors and you'll be just fine.  I wouldn't want to take a blade to heatshrink or cable ties fitted to CAFS cables.  If you really must avoid tape, just use a small rubber band each time.
Well since I am the guy that builds the mics we are talking about I can say for sure 100% do not use tape on my mics. it leaves a residue that attracts dirt and the only way to clean it is to use a solvent that actually degrades the cables over time. heat shrink is exactly what you use. you don't need to cut it off just make sure it's not super shrunk on then you can move it up and down on the cable.

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 01:42:16 AM »
There's your answer pdastoor.  Nip out and buy heatshrink with the correct shrink ratio, and tools.  Don't get the type with glue on the inside.  Get a flexible type.  Make sure you don't damage the cables when applying heat.  The mics are very well made but damage will be costly.  If this concerns you, try cold shrink tubing.  Or get some thread out of mum's sewing basket and tie the cables together!

Offline anode

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 07:53:41 AM »
My CAFS came with several sleeves of what looks like heat shrink around the two wires. They are just loose enough that I can adjust them along the length of wire, but tight enough that they kind of stay in place. I bought my CAFS second hand here in the yard sale, so it might be the previous owner who put that on. I like the adjustability the sliding pieces give.

I use medical tape on the bodies and wire quite a bit, and it does leave sticky residue, but much less of the gooey sticky mess that electrical tape can cause. I may have to reconsider my habits after reading Chris' reply. Love the mics though.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
My CAFS came with several sleeves of what looks like heat shrink around the two wires. They are just loose enough that I can adjust them along the length of wire, but tight enough that they kind of stay in place. I bought my CAFS second hand here in the yard sale, so it might be the previous owner who put that on. I like the adjustability the sliding pieces give.

I use medical tape on the bodies and wire quite a bit, and it does leave sticky residue, but much less of the gooey sticky mess that electrical tape can cause. I may have to reconsider my habits after reading Chris' reply. Love the mics though.
I did get a request from a fee people that purchased these mics for heatshrink so it's very likely they came that way from me.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »
I had electrical tape on my 853 for prob ten yrs and it was fine. It never came off, never needed to be taken off, never got that sticky mess that it can
If I had to do it over I would use gaff tape though because its easier to remove if need be
Heat shrink would be best as mentioned above
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »
Gaff adhesive dries into a dry powdery residue. You'll need a solvent to pull it off. (We use GooGone).

Note that the manufacturers in this discussion all recommend non-adhesive based solutions. They're right.

Here are the most used mechanical methods of joining cable pairs.

1. Shrink tubing
2. Zip tie
3. Tech Flex
4. Waxed thread.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »
Techflex Flexo F6 self wrapping split braid would be good for pairing the cables together.

http://theelectricaldepot.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=90_92_94

What split would you suggest?
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com