Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In need of advice & equipment  (Read 1114 times)

Offline krakle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • ECM-719>MD MZ-R700 (all sony stealth)
In need of advice & equipment
« on: January 26, 2006, 10:19:15 AM »
I have the possibility to become the 'house taper' of a weekly jazzsession near my place. But I would need some new equipment (and therefore your advice) since I only have a clip-on stealth mic (+MD) right now. I've pulled some nice tapes with the clip-on mic but it's not suitable for a 4 hours long gig where I wanna drink & chat some.

The stage is in a corner of the bar on (almost) floor level. The stage is too small to carry many musicians so sometimes saxophone or guitar players are standing in between the stage and the tables/chairs, walking around a bit next to the stage. There's a small soundboard onstage, for piano, bass & guitar mainly..sometimes the soundboard is not used at all. My intention is to get 2 (omni?) mics of some kind to cover everything (and leave the soundboard unused). I might (or might not) get a 2 channel mixing unit via a friend. So I would be equipted with the 2 mics, the mixing unit and an old MD-recorder or notebook. Both recorders aren't really desireable (md=compression and notebook=beer spillage/ao damage risk). I was toying with the idea of getting a Hi-MD.

What would be your thoughts on this? I don't really want to use more mics than just two. The recordings will be used for personal use only, maybe to provide the bar's website with a few soundsamples...to begin with. Where should be my priorities on buying new stuff, what could be really useful, etc.? I would love to buy all the fancy stuff so I could tape everything wherever I go but the budget is, of course, limited...I'm still a student. I could save up to 800 euros (that's like 900 dollars or something?) or a little more til summer, hopefully. Though I'd love to buy something just right now to start recording and experimenting.

If anyone can help/advice me in any way, please do so.

Thank you
"I think it's wonderful when someone records the shows and listens to it and passes it on as a keepsake and a friendship thing."       -Stephen Perkins

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com