Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for the right recorder: microtrack 2496, r-09, iriver 120/140?  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Nicola Fankhauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
hello

I am looking for a good entry-level recorder that is not too expensive, offers a good ADC, can be used to do stealth recordings (possibly with core sound cardioids or so), provides easy transfer of recorded music. I looked into the sony hi-md recorders, but I think buying new MD hardware is beating a dead horse. for positioning my needs: I won't transform in a über-serious taper, buying dozens of microphones or using an external ADC... :)

currently, I am a bit torn between the Edirol R-09, the M-Audio Microtrack 2496 and the iRiver IHP-120/140 (used). I like the 24/96 approach of the microtrack, the integrated mics and the normal batteries of the R-09. the iriver could be a cheap entry alternative, I guess, however I don't know how long already used ones would last before dying. price-wise these three alternatives are almost the same (with the iriver being cheaper, though maybe needing battery replacement etc. right away).

is there somewhere on the net a useful comparison of recorders in this class? or can you give me any hints

thanks & regards
nicola

• Taperssection Regular
hi

sorry, picked the wrong section. could a moderator please move this post to the "recording gear" section?

thanks
nicola

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
I will pass on the advice that others passed on to me.

Search the Archive for recordings made with each of the recorders (and different mic combos) and listen to see what you like. You will find that every recorder has its fans and haters, so it is very much a matter of personal tastes.

Also check out the Team Boards, for more info on each of the recorders, including any problems etc.

I run an iRiver and have been very happy with the results, but don't count on not spending more as you get invoved.

Regarding mics, there are other options to look at, I don't use the core sounds so I can't comment, but I have been very happy with the performance and support from myChurch Audio mics and preamp. Chris Church is a member here and will answer any questions you have.

I am sure your post will get moved as soon as the Americans wake up.

Dave.
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

• Taperssection Regular
hi dave

hm, maybe my post was really too early. :)

regarding the subject I took the plunge and ordered an edirol r-09. reasons behind is that I actually did use the FAQ and other resources here (posts, and reviews linked to from them) to find out that a lot of people have problems with dying iriver 1xx's, so it occurred to me buying a new, supported product would make more sense. like my argument about hi-md: don't beat an already dead horse. iriver 1xx's may surely been great devices and if they still work they certainly still are today.

thanks & regards
nicola

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
I'd also recommend the Church Cardioids and either Batt-box or pre-amp depending on what you're hoping to record.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

• Taperssection Regular
hi

for the mic decision, I need to hear some tapings done with the r-09 and different microphones. how can I find some of them? I am a member of TTD and lossless legs, however searching for "r-09" etc. only delivers shows where "r-09" appears in the name... any ideas?

regards
nicola

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
hi nicola,
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,87375.0.html
here you can listen to 2 samples I recorded 10 days ago with my R-09+12V battery box and my used "DPA 4061" mics(on MIC-IN of the R09) which I bought here in the YARD SALE from redbook.
greets from Vienna
Arni ;)
I can also mail you other samples tonight when you send me your email via PM.
I use 4GB SD(HC) cards from SANDISK.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

• Taperssection Regular
hey arni

I listened to some other sample of yours yesterday evening. judging from that, the sample you wrote about now will be some of the hardest rock again, won't it? :)

thanks
nicola

• Taperssection Regular
hi moke

search for dpa 4060's, 4061's, and, DPA MMA6000 (matching mic preamp/power for mics). these are a great match for the r09, but slightly more spendy, compared to other combos.

hrrm, a BIT more spendy they seem to be indeed. :)

thanks for the tip though.

nicola

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Go for the Church cards and either a pre-amp or battery box.

I've seen set-ups like this before and it'll produce the goods, thats for sure.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Aaron41

• Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
I really liked my Iriver h120... until it started messing up on me. Had it a year. I like it more than the JB3 (which died in about the same amount of time). I'd imagine it is better than the 2496 and the r-09 is probably the best little recorder but it is going to run you more than the other ones.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

• Taperssection Regular
hi all

I have my R-09 now for not even a week and already taped four shows. I am impressed by the very usable internal mics. I still have to find suitable external, stealthy cardioids that sound even better. not an easy task it seems... :)

thanks again for all the support so far.

regards
nicola

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
For anybody looking for entry-level gear to get started, I have a Microtrack 2496, external battery, sound Profesionals dongle, and 4GB CF card for sale over in the Yard Sale forum.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com