Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Team classical recording  (Read 106940 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Team classical recording
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
i picked up a used pair of yamaha HS80m's.   after i test them a bit, i will post my impessions.  my last monitors were tannoy active reveals, and have been using some alesis M1 actives for the past couple months while i was shopping.

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »
It varies but usually:

For stereo stuff not needing a full low end response *, ATC SCM20A-Pro or Dynaudio C2 with Bryston 4B
For stereo stuff needing more low end response, either SCM20ASL-Pro with SCM 0.1/15 Pro Sub or SCM100A/SL**
For surround stuff in 5.1, mix and match between 5 x SCM20A-Pro and 2 x SCM100A/SL with SCM 0.1/15Pro Sub

Or sometimes others.

Edited to add -
* Or in smaller 'control rooms'
**Choice mostly dictated by what I have available, tempered by how many stairs I have to carry things up to get into the venue/'control room'.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:30:39 AM by 0vu »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2010, 02:10:57 AM »
Finally got 4 new classical recordings edited, uploaded, and site's live performance section updated.  Selections of interest look as shown below, and can be found by clicking on this link: http://www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm#dvorak

Please enjoy these excellently performed and recorded selections.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2010, 12:09:11 PM »
i picked up a used pair of yamaha HS80m's.   after i test them a bit, i will post my impessions.  my last monitors were tannoy active reveals, and have been using some alesis M1 actives for the past couple months while i was shopping.

I think the Yamaha HS80M's are good value for the money. I would be interested in what you think about their suitability on the low end. Will you use a subwoofer with them?

Currently I am using some EV MS802 and I think they would be very similar in sound to the HS80M's. But they are getting old and the foam diffuser on the tweeter has deteriorated. EV may still have parts available but as they are old I am thinking that it's time to replace them.

I have been looking at B&W's for a while. I listened locally to the 805s and they held up pretty nicely on the highs and mids compared to the 802D's. The 802D's had more lower-end extension, but other than that I couldn't tell the difference. I'm leaning toward the 805s as my next speaker. Something with the diamond dome tweeter would be nice, but I can use 805s for now.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2010, 01:39:20 PM »
Hey guys.  I need help identifying a few tunes.  I believe they are both classical songs but not really sure.  I know I've heard both many times.  Any help appreciated.  They are both played on the saw.

The first song is here..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8o-KML6Usg

The second tune is like the first minute of this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EArjXWqhyQM

Thanks!

Offline notlance

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »
The second song is "Beautiful Dreamer" written by Stephen Foster (1826 – 1864), American popular/art song composer.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
Thanks!  Hopefully someone knows the first.  I've heard it a million times it seems.

jnorman34

« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
live - i am finding the HS80m's to be pretty good, and a fair improvement over my tannoy active reveals.  imaging is clean and precise, and freq pesonse is about average for an 8" two-way system.  yes, i am using a sub with them, and you can hear the difference...

i recorded a concert yesterday of "rising stars" which was fun.  it was held in the historic Elsinore Theater here in salem, oregon - a great sounding venue, and perhaps 300 people.  got a stunningly nice pull on a young cellist by using an ORTF pair of KM140s flanked by a pair od DPA 4061 omnis.  by blending the 140s at unity and adding in the omnis at about -20dB, the soundstage is clean and clear and i picked up the width and depth of the omnis along with just enough of the nice natural ambience of the hall - sounds purty good to me...

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »
Hey guys.  I need help identifying a few tunes.  I believe they are both classical songs but not really sure.  I know I've heard both many times.  Any help appreciated.  They are both played on the saw.

The first song is here..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8o-KML6Usg

"Sleepwalk" (originally by Santo & Johnny around 1959)

Shouldn't this have had it's own thread?
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2010, 06:16:47 PM »
Beat me to it.

Here's Santo & Johnny doing it back in '59- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogxTQXAgY3Q&feature=related
& Skunk Baxter working the pedal steel with the Ventures- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jkhs_1FBcE

Not classical... but certainly classic!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2010, 02:32:03 AM »
It does not seem that long ago, but it was: 50+ years.  I never saw S&J play the tune but I sure listened to it plenty.  Those closing chords are a part of my brain stem.  Such as it is.   ;o)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
live - i am finding the HS80m's to be pretty good, and a fair improvement over my tannoy active reveals.  imaging is clean and precise, and freq pesonse is about average for an 8" two-way system.  yes, i am using a sub with them, and you can hear the difference...

Thanks for the feedback on the speakers.

I'm glad someone knew the songs that were posted. I heard that song "Sleepwalk" a lot on the radio in the 60's, but never knew the name of it. I think it must have been the Santo & Johnny original, but I see that Ventures have a nice rendition of it.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2010, 02:37:57 PM »
Bette Anne Steele's version with string section and lyrics- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pCUR0gMXDc&feature=related

& one other version with lyrics, Gene & the Pearls (featuring a Roy Orbison'esque Bolero rhythm & 'verby vocal)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09XBlq95k0&feature=related

Back on topic, I picked up four B&W802 series 3's a while back which have worked quite well for my monitoring and general listening.  They were relatively inexpensive since they were superceeded by the 800 Nautilus series 10 years ago or so, then later by the D series which are well out of my price range. These aparently were somewhat of a classical monitoring standard back in the day, but certainly don't fit the self powered monitor description as floor standers and need space out in the room.  & the room is by far my weakest link currently.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2010, 04:01:01 PM »
Four? Do you listen to ambisonic decodes with them?
What do you use to power them?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
I've moved to doing surround recording and monitoring has been the retriction to post processing the recordings well. The motivation to pick up the second pair was primarily to have 3 identical speakers across the front (L,C,R).  Most of my surround recordings are 4 channel (Left,Right,Center,Back) with a single channel of surround information.  For now I just mult that Back channel to multiple speakers around the back and sides, which works suprisingly well for general hall ambience and audience applause.

Once I get into processing these recoringds I plan to look into ways of decorelating that single Back channel into 2 channels for typical 5 channel playback. For that work it would be great to have 5 so they would be identical all around. I don't think it's that important to have the same speakers around the sides & back for enjoyment listening, but for tweaking the raw multi-channel recordings into something finished that translates elsewhere well, I think it would be benefitial.

The room is setup on a diagonal and I've put the 4th 802 in the center back, between pairs of B&W surrounds and Klipsch KSB 3.1 bookshelfs wired in parallel as Ls & Rs.

I power them all with a 7-channel Panasonic SA-XR55 class D reciever for the time being, which sounds much better than it has any right to, and switches to a bi-amp mode for stereo.  I'd like to improve that, but I know the room will benifit more from some bass trapping.

Funny you mention the ambisonic decodes as I just picked up a Tetramic last month.  I've not decoded any surround playback from it yet, only realtime stereo decoding of the raw files directly out of the VVmic software (which is really ear-opening to play with).  Of course now I'm burning to hear a full ambisonic decode so I may shift things around.  I also have a few recordings I've made with 4 omnis spaced across the front of the stage that I'd like to playback with all four speakers in a row some time, just because.

I'm about to walk out the door to drive up to Merlefest in a little bit so appologies if I don't respond for a week!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com