Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: where can I find the smallest battery box for my DPA 4061?  (Read 8373 times)

Offline chrisv31

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
where can I find the smallest battery box for my DPA 4061?
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking for the smallest battery box able to powered my dpa 4061 !
Thanks in advance for your precious help :)
Chris
DPA 4061 + MPS 6030 + LS 10 Olympus
NEUMANN KM140 + Neumann BS48i-2

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: where can I find the smallest battery box for my DPA 4061?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
If they are terminated to a single stereo miniplug, the Church Audio CA-UBB is the smallest thing going.  The Sound Professionals battery boxes are no much bigger, though, and a bit sturdier since they encase the battery in plastic, whereas the Church one does not. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »
If they are terminated to a single stereo miniplug, the Church Audio CA-UBB is the smallest thing going.  The Sound Professionals battery boxes are no much bigger, though, and a bit sturdier since they encase the battery in plastic, whereas the Church one does not.

+1.  Also, make sure you have a BB that isn't supplying more than 9v to the mics... anything higher than 9v can potentially fry them.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:29:26 PM »
I am guessing that your mics are terminated in microdots, given the MPS6030 in your signature.  So the first question would be: what's wrong with the 6030?  Sure, there are smaller battery boxes, but it's not that large either.  About the size of a pack of cigarettes.  If you really need to go smaller, I guess there are a few options.  You could get one of the cable makers to make you a microdot to 1/8" Y-cable and use that with any battery box.  You could also see if Church or Sound Professionals will build you a battery box with microdots.  Either of those options might require you to buy the microdots yourself and then forward them to the cable/battery box maker.  Or you could have your mics re-terminated with an 1/8"...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
I am guessing that your mics are terminated in microdots, given the MPS6030 in your signature.  So the first question would be: what's wrong with the 6030?  Sure, there are smaller battery boxes, but it's not that large either.  About the size of a pack of cigarettes.  If you really need to go smaller, I guess there are a few options.  You could get one of the cable makers to make you a microdot to 1/8" Y-cable and use that with any battery box.  You could also see if Church or Sound Professionals will build you a battery box with microdots.  Either of those options might require you to buy the microdots yourself and then forward them to the cable/battery box maker.  Or you could have your mics re-terminated with an 1/8"...

Excellent point. I never had the option of using DPA's own gear with mine since they came as a used Coresound set. If I had started with the DPA gear, I sure as hell wouldn't have chopped it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:44:14 AM »

Chris Church can build you a jumber cable form microdot to 1/8 male and I ordered a CA 9200 with microdot connectors lately...I hope to receive it by Sunday...since a friend of mine brought it over from Canada....field test at the 26 August

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »
Excellent point. I never had the option of using DPA's own gear with mine since they came as a used Coresound set. If I had started with the DPA gear, I sure as hell wouldn't have chopped it.

No doubt!  I don't see a reason to chop the microdots either.  They have a couple of advantages, in my opinion (locking, use with DPA accessories).  I have thought about getting a Y-cable made, though, as it's a relatively cheap and easy way to use the mics with non-microdot gear...

I am still not sure why the OP wouldn't just go with the 6030.  It's easily pocketable, if that's the concern, and I think it's nice to be able to secure the connections between the mics and the battery box.

Offline chrisv31

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »
yes, they are terminated to a single stereo miniplug :)

where can I found a picture at this Church Audio CA-UBB?
Thanks !

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 04:43:56 PM »
yes, they are terminated to a single stereo miniplug :)

So why the MPS6030?

Ugly pic here:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152523.msg1931404#msg1931404.

Offline chrisv31

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
thank you for the link :)
When I bought my DPAs (2001) , I bought  a mps6030 in the same time and now I'm looking for something very tiny and I think that the ugly must be a good solution.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »
^^^ Did you already chop and re-terminate the 4061s?  The reason I ask is that I know someone that might be willing to trade his 1/8" 4061s plus some cash for a pair with microdots and a 6030...

Personally, I am a bit wary of the ugly battery box.  Nothing to hold the battery in place other than the contacts.  There are others that are only a little larger that seem more secure (never tried the ugly, mind you).

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »
^^^ Did you already chop and re-terminate the 4061s?  The reason I ask is that I know someone that might be willing to trade his 1/8" 4061s plus some cash for a pair with microdots and a 6030...

Personally, I am a bit wary of the ugly battery box.  Nothing to hold the battery in place other than the contacts.  There are others that are only a little larger that seem more secure (never tried the ugly, mind you).
Never been an issue because the ugly bb is so tiny and the contacts I use are the very best available. Especially the newer ugly bb. As with anything if you feel you need more security you can always use an elastic band and wrap it around the bb and battery. But I dont think its necessary.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

adrianf74

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

I've had both the current build and one done about two years of the ugly battery box.  The connection to the 9V battery is/was very secure on both.  Trying to remove a dying battery is a b*tch so I don't think this is truly valid.   I usually keep the 9V "velcroed" to the back of the recorder (have velcro for when I use the 9100 preamp) but even without the velcro, I'm *never* worried.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 07:08:24 AM »
^^^ These things are never a problem - until they are.  I have had to apply some gentle plier pressure to tighten up the connectors on a lot of devices that took 9V batteries over the years, and I prefer not to have the additional point of potential failure if it's not absolutely necessary.  The size difference is negligible, in my opinion (who can't get a 9V battery box into a venue?)...And, personally, I would rather deal with a company that has fast delivery and efficient, non-churlish customer service...YMMV and all that...

ilduclo

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »
2nd vote for SP batt boxes, mine lasted 5 years and was then repaired FOR FREE and sent back within 5 days of my sending it in. Great service from Sound Pros!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com