Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Preamp Chip LM833N  (Read 8236 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Mic Preamp Chip LM833N
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 06:48:10 PM »
it is because of the clip light circuit they are using one side of each chip to drive the clip led. IMO

Ok, here's the photo..
Hope I don't get sued... By right, any joker can easily dissect it..  ;)

And yes, its a dead simple circuit.

Thanks!  It looks simple, but I'm curious why there are two LM833's there.  Each one has two opamps.  Do you have any ideas?  Is one used for the level/overload detector?  Or is it some kind of multistage/instrumentation amplifier?

Richard

Aha!  Thanks for the info, Chris...  I didn't think of this.

+T

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 11:12:20 PM »

You could install a couple of dip sockets and plug and play with various compatable opamps to see which you like best.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 12:14:36 AM »

You could install a couple of dip sockets and plug and play with various compatable opamps to see which you like best.
dB-

Been there... done that!  It turns out, to my ears anyway, not to make that much difference.  I haven't done a systematic test, but just listening informally.  LM833 is a bit low-end, but NE5532, or any of the OPA opamps that Chris uses should be fine.  A more important issue (for me at least) was power consumption.  I've used an LT6234, and that uses about 1/3 less power than the others and sounds just as good.  Unfortunately this only comes in surface mount, so soldering is very hard.  If I was building these for sale, though, I would have a PC board made.  That is a very nice chip.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 02:33:04 AM »
I will have to check that chip out what is the max gain of the chip? and power consumption.

Chris

dB-

Been there... done that!  It turns out, to my ears anyway, not to make that much difference.  I haven't done a systematic test, but just listening informally.  LM833 is a bit low-end, but NE5532, or any of the OPA opamps that Chris uses should be fine.  A more important issue (for me at least) was power consumption.  I've used an LT6234, and that uses about 1/3 less power than the others and sounds just as good.  Unfortunately this only comes in surface mount, so soldering is very hard.  If I was building these for sale, though, I would have a PC board made.  That is a very nice chip.

Richard

I'm not sure the gain specs, but it is 1.1mA consumption per channel.  Check out the LT website (linear.com), and order some samples.  Hey, at least you might really be using them in a real product :).

You can PM me if you have any specific questions about the circuit, but I think we're all using pretty much the same design (aside from the clip light you added).

Richard

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com