Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fave budget mixers  (Read 10191 times)

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Fave budget mixers
« on: July 24, 2006, 04:31:47 PM »
I was wondering what people's recommendations would be to do a board/mic matrix mix. I know I could get a UA-5 for this but as this event I'm working on recording is only for a few days I was hoping to find something more economical. Battery power and phantom power would be nice but not a requirements. I see all sorts of things out there from Mackie, Samson, etc., but I know very little about mixers. I only need something simple to mix a line off the board with two mics.

Thanks.
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: Fave budget mixers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:55:08 PM »
sampson mixpad. can be had for < $100 used and the mic pres sound really good (yeah, i meant it), at least with 110v power.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:10:32 PM »
sampson mixpad. can be had for < $100 used and the mic pres sound really good (yeah, i meant it), at least with 110v power.
only problems with the mixpads IMHO are that they have no metering, and the mixpad4 has only 24v phantom. I had a mixpad9 and the phantom was 48v but one switch for all channels.  It is nice to have at least a clip light on each channel (actual meters on each is best), a pair of main out meters, and a volume adjustment for the headphone outs.  Mixpads don't have any of that.  Other than that they are nice for the $$$.  I ran a Behringer MXB1002 for my first mixer and I made some great tapes with that  here is a sample (actually my very first matrix and other than 2 board patches my first tape)  http://www.archive.org/details/jacc2004-03-18.flac16
     I then moved to a Mackie ONYX 122O which I really like a lot and still have.  It is bulky for a 12chan mixer but the pre's and electronics in general are very nice.  You can also add a firewire card to it so you can multitrack straight to a laptop down the road.  The metering on the Mackie is spectacular including full meters on each channel and solo buttons so you can monitor each chanel individually.  This feature is nice if you have noise on one of your lines but aren't sure where it is.
     I've also used  an allen/heath mixwiz and a mackie vlz mixer and I think they both sound like complete ass.  I may be getting one of the newer Sampson MDR mixers  http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=60&brandID=2  for webcasting without the Mackie because they have better metering than the mixpad line, and they are pretty tiny.  I assume the pre's are same or better than the mixpad pre's but I haven't played with one to find out.

matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline batchain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:48:51 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'm leaning towards a Tapco Blend 60 or a Mackie DFX-6. It looks like for the money the Tapco may be hard to beat.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 01:50:57 PM »
I found the samson mixpad to be noisy..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Roving Sign

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 04:24:08 PM »
Key feature: Peak light on each channel trimmer...

I've been using the Yamaha MG10/2 for a while...nice meters...

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mixers/mg10_2/

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 06:35:09 PM »
I just went through this. I got the SoundCraft Spirit E6. It's great, with sweepable mid eq, pre and post sends and the most useful feature, solo on all input channels. I've seen them go for $150 on eBay.

I just found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soundcraft-Spirit-E8-Mixer-Mint_W0QQitemZ260012251806QQihZ016QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 06:39:19 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 06:44:12 PM »
got a question, you alll are refering to the pre in the mixer. I assume this means if i want  to use my pre (m148) it gets over riden by the mixer???
i've been thinking of picking one of these up myself.
thanks
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline Chuck

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 08:34:24 PM »
You can always run line in after your outboard pre-amp into a mixer.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 08:39:39 PM »
I just went through this. I got the SoundCraft Spirit E6. It's great, with sweepable mid eq, pre and post sends and the most useful feature, solo on all input channels. I've seen them go for $150 on eBay.

I just found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soundcraft-Spirit-E8-Mixer-Mint_W0QQitemZ260012251806QQihZ016QQcategoryZ23785QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This seems like a nice unit! I'll 2nd the usefulness of the solo feature.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 09:13:44 PM »
What do you think of the Soundcraft "compact4".  This has four mic inputs with 48V phantom, and runs from 12VDC.  Approx. $100 street.

It is a bit large (very thin, but quite wide), but seems like a good bet for field use.

Any comments on the pres?

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Chuck

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 09:41:35 PM »
I haven't cracked open the case on the E6 (yet) to see what's in there, but the pre-amps sound OK to me. I haven't given them a real good workout. They are quiet.

I haven't used the compact4, but I'm generally leery of those smaller mixers. I listened to a lot of them, the Yamaha, the Peavey, Behringer, Mackie, Alesis... I liked the features and sound of the SoundCraft best. Of course when I was looking, my price point was $150, so that limited me.

The SoundCraft has long throw faders, vs small knobs on the other units. I do think the compact4 has solo buttons, which is a huge plus in my book.

Roving Sign

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 10:26:44 PM »
I'll second the usefulness of solo buttons...the one thing my mixer lacks...a huge plus if you matrix...

Wish someone would come up with a "solo" mod for the UA5...

The Spirit looks like the best unit...But - What is the word on faders?...I always thought they would be more prone to dirt and gunk getting in them...Knobs were actually something I was looking for...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 10:30:18 PM by Roving Sign »

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 08:19:17 AM »
I'll second the usefulness of solo buttons...the one thing my mixer lacks...a huge plus if you matrix...

Wish someone would come up with a "solo" mod for the UA5...

The Spirit looks like the best unit...But - What is the word on faders?...I always thought they would be more prone to dirt and gunk getting in them...Knobs were actually something I was looking for...
faders are just so much easier to manipulate than knobs.  Eventually dirt and dust will find there way into either.

Matt

Offline batchain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 10:00:08 AM »
Hey folks. Thanks for all the info here. That Soundcraft Compac4 appears to be exactly what I was looking for, and size wise it appears to be not that much bigger than most other 4-6 channel mixers. Thanks all for the advice on the solo monitors. I can see where that could help a lot with doing a matrix. I believe I'm gonna snatch up one of these. And it's around $100...even sweeter.

Offline batchain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 10:46:00 PM »
Anyone ever used a Soundcraft Spirit Notepad? They look pretty nice. Maybe not the monitor capabilities of the Compact4 but it's amazingly small for all they cram into it. http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=1

Offline ~~~>

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 07:24:37 PM »
Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro.  Can't be beat!

Offline Chuck

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 10:49:34 PM »

I use those Mackie mixers all day at work but wouldn't recommend them. My SoundCraft Spirit E6 (in the same price range) not only beats the Mackie, it kicks it's ass and rolls it into the gutter, broken, bleeding, soaked in beer and urine and crying out for it's mommy...

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 11:08:28 PM »

I use those Mackie mixers all day at work but wouldn't recommend them. My SoundCraft Spirit E6 (in the same price range) not only beats the Mackie, it kicks it's ass and rolls it into the gutter, broken, bleeding, soaked in beer and urine and crying out for it's mommy...

Now that folks is a description!!!
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 09:05:11 AM »

he's a troll and he was kidding.  Probably one of thoes pompas assholes from team multitrack.  ;)

Matt

Offline Chuck

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 11:50:29 AM »
Yeah, atribute that post to being in a fiesty mood and drinking GIN  ;)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 12:09:58 PM »
Yeah, atribute that post to being in a fiesty mood and drinking GIN  ;)
I was sucking down some bombay safire last night myself.  Quality gin is a real nice buzzzzzzz.

matt

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 10:35:47 AM »
i use a korg D12 myself
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 10:58:01 AM »
i use a korg D12 myself
is that an english gin?

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 01:07:06 PM »
Mackie? Soundcraft?

Eff that crap....THIS is what you need - http://www.midasconsoles.com/h4000.html
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 01:36:54 PM »
Mackie? Soundcraft?

Eff that crap....THIS is what you need - http://www.midasconsoles.com/h4000.html

midas mixer are the shit but I don't see a venice fitting in a backpack.

matt

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 08:58:12 AM »
Mackie? Soundcraft?

matt

all you need is a bigger backpack.

and screw the venice, i'm talkin' 'bout the heritage 4000.

how big of a backpack would you need for the 56 channel version?
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 10:48:37 AM »
Mackie? Soundcraft?

matt

all you need is a bigger backpack.

and screw the venice, i'm talkin' 'bout the heritage 4000.

how big of a backpack would you need for the 56 channel version?

;D

RebelRebel

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 01:08:02 PM »
I know a couple of big time location guys that could use anything they want to use for preamps, but use the mackie VLZs. One of which is Marc Aubort, who is a legendary classical location guy..

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2006, 01:27:15 PM »
I know a couple of big time location guys that could use anything they want to use for preamps, but use the mackie VLZs. One of which is Marc Aubort, who is a legendary classical location guy..
next time you see him tell him to lay off the crack.   ;D

matt

RebelRebel

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2006, 01:29:09 PM »
next time you see him tell him to lay off the crack.   ;D

matt
:D

Offline Chuck

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2006, 02:18:30 PM »
That sounds very strange to me. Someone that, I assume, has access to most anything he wants would pick the Mackie VLZ.

RebelRebel

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2006, 02:51:14 PM »
That sounds very strange to me. Someone that, I assume, has access to most anything he wants would pick the Mackie VLZ.

Yep. One of the guys is a head engineer at DENON, and Marc Aubort is the other. The denon guy says they sound good, are portable, and cheap. A good engineer can get great results out of most gear. I found it strange too, but also smiled a little at the fact that some people think that gear upgrades will automatically make everything better.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »
maybe he does a rebuild on the preamps, or has a pair of Grace 801's in front of the sucker, or has a severe earwax problem... or like you say, maybe he gets off on making things sound good with minimal help from gear.  Kinda like the pleasure of riding a $50 moped around the world or something.   ;D

matt

RebelRebel

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2006, 04:32:20 PM »
maybe he does a rebuild on the preamps, or has a pair of Grace 801's in front of the sucker, or has a severe earwax problem... or like you say, maybe he gets off on making things sound good with minimal help from gear.  Kinda like the pleasure of riding a $50 moped around the world or something.   ;D

matt

Yep, that reminds me of Kavi Alexander. He has abandoned all his tube recording gear, and now runs a considerably cheaper true systems pre>>>sd 722. His recordings have lost nothing. Great gear is just the icing on the cake when you are those guys.

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 02:25:41 AM »
Anyone ever used a Soundcraft Spirit Notepad? They look pretty nice. Maybe not the monitor capabilities of the Compact4 but it's amazingly small for all they cram into it. http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=1

i used its predessor the Spirit Folio Lite for a long time. then moved to a Shure FP33 (3ch), and then 6 mo's later to the Sony DMX-P01 (4ch). the only drawback to the Folio is that the wall wart is a bi-polar supply, ie +/- 15v. back when i bought mine, there were few DC-DC convertors available unlike today. so i used a Zapco PX power supply (i was big into car audio back then, well much bigger than now) and i mounted a Switchcraft miniGQ connector to the mixer and an On/Off switch right next to the factory input connector. Wired the +15v to the pos rail right after rectifier and the -15v to the neg rail after the rect.and the ground to the board's bipolar ground. ran the whole thing off a 10AH 12v SLA and never ran out at a show.

i liked it a lot and made some great tapes with it. it did not have true +48v phantom but it did have a nice loud headphones out. looks like the Compact4 is pretty cool and if they did actually step up to a true +48pp, then maybe the unit has a fully bipolar power supply as well - that would make a difference to me - +/-15 = 30v peak-to-peak swing vs only 12volts from a single ended 12v supply... bummer that it is only 2mic in...

anyway...
my two cents
nism
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 61 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com