Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Intro playback  (Read 5752 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Intro playback
« on: January 18, 2005, 11:04:19 AM »
I've never had a good playback system.  And it seems like it is going to be my next step in musical gear enjoyment.  I want to do 2 channels right now, with an option to go to 5.  If I have $500 to throw around what would be some good recomendations?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: Intro playback
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:54:03 PM »
Oade has some Tannoy 5.1 speakers advertised on his site...I did not see a price, but found the same set new on ebay for roughly 300$..which would leave you about 200$ for a decent reciever....

I think that would be an excellent place to start.  I'm sure that others have posted recievers, or CAN post recommendations on recievers in that price range...I assume you already have a cd player?

edit:  or you could look into these speakers for starters..i just noticed you said start on 2.1 setup...  http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33764.0

that would leave you close to 400$ for a reciever..maybe one of the lower strX000es sonys used somehwere?  im not exactly sure of their prices...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 02:56:14 PM by razorback »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »
cambridge soundworks has great deals in their b stock and open box department

they have cclearance on line as well
the show is over go home please.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 03:41:04 PM »
Antique, but really nice.  I have one, and it rocks...  Sony TA-E1000ESD

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B5231244A

Also, B&K amp.  I use the ST-140, a 2x70 job.  But this is nicer:  B&K ST-202+

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B5731344A

I have the 2 pieces above and paid $350 for them together.  You can find nice starter speakers at about $200/pari methinks...

Terry

PS, couldn't find either on AudioGon...

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 07:33:46 PM »
What do you already have for your playback system?  If you're starting from scratch with a $500 budget I'd suggest that you look into buying a source, headphones and a headphone amp and then add speakers, preamp and later when you've got a little more to spend.  For around $300 - $350 you should be able to get a cheap source (Toshiba 3900 would be great), nice headphones (AKG, Sennheiser, Grado, etc) and a headphone amp.  IMHO you'll get way more bang for your buck this way.

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 09:09:46 PM »
I got zip.  Is this the right order of buying.
1. cd player
2. reciever
3. speakers

I listen to a lot of my music on my computer.  I have a soundblaster audigy soundcard.  Would I need to replace that, and buy everything else?  Does anyone have any recomendations for that?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 09:22:38 PM »
1. cd player
2. reciever
3. speakers

I listen to a lot of my music on my computer.  I have a soundblaster audigy soundcard.  Would I need to replace that, and buy everything else?  Does anyone have any recomendations for that?

bags;

there are several cd/dvd/dvd-a/sacd combo players for under $200. that would be my first purchase.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 09:23:56 PM »
1. cd player
2. reciever
3. speakers

Like Marc said my first step would be to purchase a source and move on from there.  Given your budget I'd look for a Toshiba 3900 which can be found for around $60, great sound for the price.  I'm sure others can recommend some speaker / reciever suggestions, also keep in mind you need to reserve part of your buget for cables which can make a pretty dramatic difference in sound.  Good luck with your search, if you think the taping upgrade but is addictive just wait until the hifi upgrade bug kicks in.   :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 09:30:20 PM by nmculbreth »

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 09:43:41 PM »
toshiba 3960 is cd/dvd only and is $60 or so

the 4960 is cd/dvd/dvda/sacd and is a little more but still *very* reasonable...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 09:49:36 PM »

the 4960 is cd/dvd/dvda/sacd and is a little more but still *very* reasonable...

How does the transport compare?  If memory serves correct the 3900 was manufactured by Toshiba and the 4900 was an OEM with a very different transport and such.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 10:04:53 PM »
I have the Samsung HD841 which is either an OEM of the 4960 or vice versa, but on audio circle...there is a long thread about the same type of mods that the 3960 has and that the unit is also a great unit for the price....I have no personal opinions yet, as I am waiting for my receiver to show back up so I can test it :P

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=12613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 10:12:09 PM »

How does the transport compare? If memory serves correct the 3900 was manufactured by Toshiba and the 4900 was an OEM with a very different transport and such.

I haven't heard the 4960 at all... 3960 is a steal, sounds great... I can hardly listen to my dat's this thing sounds so good
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 10:14:43 PM »
I have the Samsung HD841 which is either an OEM of the 4960 or vice versa, but on audio circle...there is a long thread about the same type of mods that the 3960 has and that the unit is also a great unit for the price....I have no personal opinions yet, as I am waiting for my receiver to show back up so I can test it :P

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=12613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Great info Nick.  It seems like a great deal for around $100.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 10:18:04 PM »

How does the transport compare? If memory serves correct the 3900 was manufactured by Toshiba and the 4900 was an OEM with a very different transport and such.

I haven't heard the 4960 at all... 3960 is a steal, sounds great... I can hardly listen to my dat's this thing sounds so good

I agree, I had a 3960 for a little bit and was very impressed by the sound quality line out.  I eventually moved to a Pioneer DV-563a so I could have SACD and DVD-A support, but the 3960 was a great bargain.

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 10:21:50 PM »
Thanks.  I think I'll pick up the 4960, its on newegg for $119.  Does anyone have any reciever/speakers recomendation.  I have gift cards to circuit city.  But I don't know if they would have anything decent.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 10:36:31 PM »
Thanks.  I think I'll pick up the 4960, its on newegg for $119.  Does anyone have any reciever/speakers recomendation.  I have gift cards to circuit city.  But I don't know if they would have anything decent.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homevdeo&1110665965

Audiogon is your friend.   :)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005, 10:52:16 PM »
Depending on your listening goals, consider a nice set of headphones and possibly a headphone amp.  I do much of my listening in my home office, a tiny room, with only me listening.  Given that situation, headphones are a great option.  If you want to entertain groups of people, of course they won't work.  Just wanted to say consider your playback needs before deciding on your gear.

FWIW, I run Waveterminal 2496 digi-out > smART D/IO DAC > AKG K501s
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com