Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendations for a system upgrade  (Read 2662 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
Recommendations for a system upgrade
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:59:03 PM »
Mind you, this is strictly for entertainment value (but maybe more of a serious idea in six months).

I just picked up a pair of Klipsch KG4 speakers.  Currently, I'm running them into a Sony STR-DE945 receiver (which is fed a signal from my modified Xbox).

Now, say I had 300-400 dollars to spend to upgrade or introduce a new piece of equipment to my setup, what would you recommend?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Recommendations for a system upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 08:49:22 AM »
I spent $425 on a used Musical Fidelity A220 integrated amp, and I love it.   If you're running the XBox using a digital connection to your amp, you're probably going to want to find an amp w/ digital inputs... the amp I listed above doesn't have digital inputs, and my former tube amp didn't either....  would need to add a DAC.... DAC is going to cost some scratch...   or you could rely on the analog output from the xbox.

at any rate, the way I see it is that you just bought new speakers, so you don't want to replace that.  The XBox is quite unique in its abilities, so you probably don't want to replace that... which leaves amp.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 04:15:11 PM »
I spent $425 on a used Musical Fidelity A220 integrated amp, and I love it.   If you're running the XBox using a digital connection to your amp, you're probably going to want to find an amp w/ digital inputs... the amp I listed above doesn't have digital inputs, and my former tube amp didn't either....  would need to add a DAC.... DAC is going to cost some scratch...   or you could rely on the analog output from the xbox.

at any rate, the way I see it is that you just bought new speakers, so you don't want to replace that.  The XBox is quite unique in its abilities, so you probably don't want to replace that... which leaves amp.

The guy I bought the speakers from was running them through a solid state amp that really made the speakers sound great.  How does an amp integrate with a receiver? Obviously I need to upgrade my receiver at some point, but would my current receiver interface with an outboard amplifier properly?  I'm just wondering because the receiver already amplifies the signal so how would it deal with being amplified twice?

In regards to an outboard DAC... yeah, I'll have to wait to drop some cash on that.  I do plan on buying one at some point (Are they single input/output? I only have one device anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter all that much).

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 04:36:08 PM »

The guy I bought the speakers from was running them through a solid state amp that really made the speakers sound great.  How does an amp integrate with a receiver? Obviously I need to upgrade my receiver at some point, but would my current receiver interface with an outboard amplifier properly?  I'm just wondering because the receiver already amplifies the signal so how would it deal with being amplified twice?

When I suggested it, I was talking about replacing your current receiver.   If you look on the back of your current receiver, look for a pre out.  If it has a pre out, then you can run that into a power amp, and the speakers from the power amp.   If you were going to replace the reciever, you'd do one of the following:

a) a preamp + poweramp setup (which would probably be out of your budget)

or

b) an integrated - which is within your price range, and is a preamp and poweramp integrated into one unit - its basically exactly like a receiver, except I *think* a receiver is different solely because it has the ability to receive AM/FM radio.  An integrated amp is basically a reciever minus the tuner part.

In regards to an outboard DAC... yeah, I'll have to wait to drop some cash on that.  I do plan on buying one at some point (Are they single input/output? I only have one device anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter all that much).

they have a variety of different ones.  I have seen ones that have a coax and optical input with a switch to switch between the inputs.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 05:56:06 PM »
I don't know what the KG4's are like, but Klipsches in general seem to be fairly sensitive speakers and not too hard to drive due to the horn tweeters, so I would guess a power amp upgrade would not yield that much of a sonic difference.  ???

I think a subwoofer or room treatment would have the most sonic impact.

I recently got an infinity CSW-10, which I like because it has a built in bass equalization and comes with measurement equipment, so you can minimize the effect of your most dominant room mode.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:59:54 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 01:43:21 AM »
i agree in the idea of treating the room- making the room better is something that will allow you to keep upgrading your stereo and get noticable improvements.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

RebelRebel

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 05:58:24 AM »
as far as a DAC, the Mytek sounds very nice. Not a bad price either. If you want to look into getting one later on(or if anyone does, for that matter) shoot me a PM. Pricing is very good... ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com