Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM  (Read 99457 times)

Offline Drgiggles1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: TASCAM DR-2d - announced at NAMM
« Reply #360 on: March 14, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
Hmmm, anyone use microSD cards in SD adapters in the DR-2D? I have 32GB of microSD memory for my M10 that I would like to use if I were to switch recorders.
I don't see why it wouldn't work, just seems there can be room for error though compared to a single SDHC. However you will most likely have to format the card for the Tascam usage and same goes for going back to the M10.
Mics: CA-14 (o,c,o)
Remote Power: CA-9100 pre-amp, CA-UBB battery box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d
Cable/s: custom 6" GAKables Mini Starquad
Batteries: Maha 9.6V Imedion, Maha Powerex 2700 mAh
Chargers: Maha MH-C9000, MAHA MH-C490F 9 Volt

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #361 on: March 15, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »
Anyone use their DR-2d with a Naiant preamp? I'm thinking of having Jon build me a Tinybox 2.0 with pads to compensate for the hot inputs of the DR-2d.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
Anyone use their DR-2d with a Naiant preamp? I'm thinking of having Jon build me a Tinybox 2.0 with pads to compensate for the hot inputs of the DR-2d.

Jmbell ran LB>DR-2d Saturday night.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #363 on: March 15, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »

I've used my a few times with my Littlebox, and just ran it a couple nights ago with a borrowed tinybox v1.

It's worked fine -- nice combo.  I've run external attenuator cables (pads) from the LB to the DR2d, and have run without, just with lower gain.  I ran with the attenuators so I could boost up the gain of the LB more to get more saturation out of the output transformers, but the combo works fine without pads if you just keep the gain lower on the LB.

Similar with the TB. I ran the borrowed TB at medium gain (18db??) for Radiohead and got peaks of about -2dbFS on the DR2d with no distortion.  They weren't super loud, but you could always run the TB at low gain.

Talk about it with Jon, but I wouldn't think you'd need pads on the TB.  Just get custom gain settings that are lower than the standard -- maybe 6db - 12db - 24db
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #364 on: March 15, 2012, 05:12:49 PM »
I ran mine last Saturday MK4>KCY>Littlebox>DR-2d line in and SBD Mic in and didn't have a pad or attenuator cable on either input.  The recording turn out great  I did buy an Attenuator cable in case I get a hot SBD feed, but when running line in with the LB I keep my levels about 11:00.  I would skip getting built in pads it will cost extra money and isn't needed.  I'd get an attenuator cable and you'll be fine. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:15:06 PM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #365 on: March 17, 2012, 02:43:09 AM »

I've used my a few times with my Littlebox, and just ran it a couple nights ago with a borrowed tinybox v1.

It's worked fine -- nice combo.  I've run external attenuator cables (pads) from the LB to the DR2d, and have run without, just with lower gain.  I ran with the attenuators so I could boost up the gain of the LB more to get more saturation out of the output transformers, but the combo works fine without pads if you just keep the gain lower on the LB.

Similar with the TB. I ran the borrowed TB at medium gain (18db??) for Radiohead and got peaks of about -2dbFS on the DR2d with no distortion.  They weren't super loud, but you could always run the TB at low gain.

Talk about it with Jon, but I wouldn't think you'd need pads on the TB.  Just get custom gain settings that are lower than the standard -- maybe 6db - 12db - 24db

I absolutely LOVE the saturation im getting when running my Custom LB>M10. That LB sounds really warm and gooey. Still havent ran mk41>custom LB, but want to really badly :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Drgiggles1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #366 on: March 27, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
I used the DR-2d for the first time last night and fortunately had a warmup band to work with and was hoping for the best. Anyways I remember reading somewhere in this thread about the recorder stopping. Some speculated heating and others the SD card. I had the recorder resting on my leg face down while holding it in my hand so it wouldn't fall. I didn't apply any pressure, but the recorder shutoff 3 times in a 40 minute set and basically left me saying WTF. For the main attraction once i confirmed levels were correct on the dual recordings I locked the unit with the hold switch in the back. No issues over the 2 hours of recording. I did not lock the unit for the warmup band. I guess this is just a recommendation to anyone using one or thinking of buying one.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #367 on: March 27, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
Lock the hold and use the IR remote.  Update your firmware to the latest if you have not yet.

Ran one as a SBD deck all last weekend and shifted it between a couple stages.  With a big card and an Energizer external LIion battery all I needed to do was plug in and walk by with the remote occassionally between sets. Didn't think about power or cards all weekend.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Drgiggles1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #368 on: March 27, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »
Lock the hold and use the IR remote.  Update your firmware to the latest if you have not yet.

Ran one as a SBD deck all last weekend and shifted it between a couple stages.  With a big card and an Energizer external LIion battery all I needed to do was plug in and walk by with the remote occassionally between sets. Didn't think about power or cards all weekend.
I didn't necessarily have an issue with power output, just that the device would shutdown prematurely without it being locked. Anyways a lesson learned and at least not on a critical recording. I will heed that advise for sure on always locking in case there is an issue with sensitivity to the button functions when not locked.  ;D

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #369 on: March 27, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
It shouldn't shut down easily without locking since doing so requires holding the 'stop' button for a while. I can't remember hearing reports of shutdown issues from other users so I don't think that's a known problem. The inital power appetite issues were solved with the firmware update, which was the root of my suggestion to check which firmware it is currently running. I'm not sure what else the update addressed (such as other bugs or possibly shutdown issues), but its always a good idea to run the latest update as a general rule. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Drgiggles1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #370 on: March 27, 2012, 08:31:24 PM »
firmware is definitely up to date. it was the first thing I did when I received the DR-2d. The second thing I did was order Powerex and Imedion batteries. I'll have to do some home tests doing the same as i did @ the show. Hopefully I don't have a defective product.

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #371 on: March 29, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
just bought one of these after four years using an edirol, excited to run some board/aud matrixes
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #372 on: April 04, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
Just got mine, came pre-loaded with 1.03.  Looks neat, looking forward to giving this a whirl in a few weeks.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #373 on: April 04, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
Right on, and welcome to the party!

We've filled 25 pages.  Sunjan or Brian- can you lock this thread.
Just made a new thread to continue the discussion here.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com