Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre-amp for Sonic Studios DSM Mics  (Read 3765 times)

Offline systemerror

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Pre-amp for Sonic Studios DSM Mics
« on: May 17, 2005, 11:05:22 PM »
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience with Sonic Studios DSM Mics?

I bought some from eBay recently and I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations re a Pre-amp.

Sonic Studios say they can only really be powered by their own brand of preamp but is this strictly true?

Yes they can work off plug-in power but i wanna go line in on my Minidisc and JB3.

I would love to buy one of the Sonic Studios pre-amps but cannot aford it at present...

Any suggestions would be cool :-)

PS... I mainly tape natural ambiences/environments so low self noise is a must in any preamp.

Thanks,

Dean

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Pre-amp for Sonic Studios DSM Mics
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 12:19:07 AM »

Sonic Studios say they can only really be powered by their own brand of preamp but is this strictly true?

oh would I love to hear why.  Does he specially align the electrons as the flow thru the cable?  That's a load of crap.  The only place for things to be different is in the powering scheme.  If he says standard plugin power is fine then you can use any preamp with the SS battery box.  If you want to use a preamp that also provides plugin power, you might want to find out the limits on bias voltage.  I thought those mics were based on Panasonic capsules - any confirmation?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 11:17:20 AM »

oh would I love to hear why.  Does he specially align the electrons as the flow thru the cable?  That's a load of crap.  The only place for things to be different is in the powering scheme.  If he says standard plugin power is fine then you can use any preamp with the SS battery box.  If you want to use a preamp that also provides plugin power, you might want to find out the limits on bias voltage.  I thought those mics were based on Panasonic capsules - any confirmation?

They are based on the Panasonic capsules, the wm-61's I believe. The mics aren't modified (rev polarity) to the best of my knowledge IE: Core-Sound CSB. Leonard (SS) designs the mics to run on 1.5v, they sound great, but as for his SPL handling specs I'd say ignore those, I highly doubt they are accurate at all.

He has battery power supplies and his preamp, I'm not sure specifically which we're talking about. The pre looks nifty, but at $1k, hell no. You could get dpa406x with one of their mma units for damn near the same as SS mics and th SS pre.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline systemerror

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 06:37:17 AM »
Hey thanks for the info guys :-)

And Brian... Sorry I accidently posted in the wrong forum! Glad you could see where I went wrong.

So I guess I just need some advice regarding recommended pre-amps for my ststem... Sonic Studois DSM6-JB3 optical in and poss with a phantom supply for when I'm using my shotgun... mic that is.. That reminds me of a funny story...

I work in  a recording studio mainly doing post production for TV... I supervise our sound effects library as part of my job. One morning last week one of the other engineers told me excitedly " Hey  a huge Cicada flew into my lounge last night.... so I pulled out the shotgun and got him"

I thought wow that's kind of an over-reaction to a little Cicada... imagining John blasting this insect with a 12 guage, but... then I realised he meant he got a nice clean recording of a single Cicada!

It's often hard to isolate a single insect as there are normally hundreds of the things chirping away when we are recording in the field so he was pleased at getting the chance of a single insect in a quiet(ish) location.

Anyway it made me laugh.. but ooops I digress!

So any recommended pre's for my system?

Thanks,

Dean

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 08:42:48 AM »
what studio are you at?  I have always wanted to work with effects/sound design, but I'm stuck here doing transfers and remasters  ;)
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 09:20:33 AM »

So any recommended pre's for my system?

do you have a battery box to provide bias?  If not, then you'll need one or you'll have to use a pre that provides it, which really limits your options.
What's your budget?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline systemerror

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 11:57:53 PM »
Hey again,

Thanks for replies :-)

Ok...

I work for a studio in Auckland New zealand. liquidstudios.co.nz

Second point....

I don't have a budget at present and no I don't have a batt box either.

I have been using a DA-P1 and Sennheiser 416 shotgun but now wanna get these DSM's up and running with the JB3.

Thanks,

Dean

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 01:25:54 AM »
Dean-

I have owned a pair of DSM's and from my experience you either need to use a Sonic Studio battery box (PA-6XX) -or- you would have to be using a modified plug-in  power connection as found in most Sony DAT portables. These plug-in power connections only put out a minimal voltage which needs to be increased by internal modification in order to run the DSM's to there full potential.
dB-

http://www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 01:37:29 AM »
Dean-

I have owned a pair of DSM's and from my experience you either need to use a Sonic Studio battery box (PA-6XX) -or- you would have to be using a modified plug-in  power connection as found in most Sony DAT portables. These plug-in power connections only put out a minimal voltage which needs to be increased by internal modification in order to run the DSM's to there full potential.
dB-

http://www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm

Wow!  I've never seen such a messy or confusing website.  Well, Coresound is second place I guess!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 10:49:19 AM »
One other thought - if I was running DSM's to a JB3 and wanted to skip the battery box module but still needed to power the mics AND amplify the signal before it hits the JB3 I would look into a used Sony SBM-1. The SBM-1 could easily be modified to feed your JB3 an optical signal and supply the proper voltage to the DSM's.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com