Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: vocal/inst mic recommendations  (Read 9155 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:vocal/inst mic recommendations
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2003, 04:27:00 PM »
read chuck's post, then read it again, now go out and follow all of that advice.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2003, 04:38:51 PM »
Pricing is similar, so pick your own flight...

Very true.  I think the best way to buy a vocal mic is to go into the local big store (GC or such), grab a channel on their mixer in the sound room, and start plugging 'em in.  Let your ears do the picking.  There's a ton of good quality mics in the $80-$150 range.

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

cpclark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 10:09:01 PM »
great advice chuck, im just starting out, have about a months worth of experience running sound for this band in my college town, that is just like simp said, some of the best advice on live sound reinforcement, and i think im gonna pick up the shure sm57's for the two guitars we need to mic, thanks again
-chris

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2003, 10:51:37 AM »
well i went to guitar center last night and proved to them once again that they love me.  i picked up 3 sm58's, 3 sm57's, a hard case to store them in, cables, and some stands.  my credit card is weeping.  but at least i have a nice set of stage mics and a protective case that i hope will last me for a very long time.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2003, 10:56:41 AM »
well i went to guitar center last night and proved to them once again that they love me.  i picked up 3 sm58's, 3 sm57's, a hard case to store them in, cables, and some stands.  my credit card is weeping.  but at least i have a nice set of stage mics and a protective case that i hope will last me for a very long time.

Very cool.  BTW: There's a great stand bag available for next to nothing.  It's at Musicians Friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031107075452065065113250518531/g=home/search/detail/base_id/43027

... for $19, but I saw them at GC, so you know you can get them for the same or less there (via their deal or price matching).  This will not only protect the mic stands, but more importantly will protect all the other gear they're stowed with, the car you carry them in -- and you when you carry them.   :)

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2003, 11:54:47 AM »
The AKG D880S vocal mics are quite nice we have found.  At under $50 each, that's a deal that's hard to beat.

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2003, 05:32:47 PM »
If you can make it down to Denver, go to Soundtown.  the are just east of Alameda and I-25.  
I just went down with the sound guy from the Lion's lair to buy new mics....he got some Behringer vocal mics for around $35 each.  They also had some Samson's for the same price...we actually got three of each.  
They aren't SM57's, but the way mics get beat up at that place...they are the ticket.    
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com