Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: desktop t00bes  (Read 15104 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: desktop t00bes
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 08:25:22 PM »
if you go the DIY route with the amp please post pics im curious how hard it would be, and if a layman(me) could do it.

I've read they're well supported by the "designer" kit creator, Bob Latino. They're also very well documented with directions, and supporting images of each step. The most of it being soldering, and following directions.
By the looks of the underside of the amps, it appears to be built in "layers" or by logical sequence that creates a nice tidy finish. I've been impressed in my reading.
How well do you solder?

There is a fair amount online about them.
Let me find the links again, I'll be right back,.....

I'm back, with links;
st-120 kit - ebay
st-70 kit - ebay

additional:
http://picasaweb.google.com/arnoldmatthews72/ST120Amplifier#

dynaco kit build steps
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:04:32 PM by mfrench »

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 09:40:19 PM »
wow, might be over my head and solder abilities.  thanks for the links.

im still confused how this would compare at 60wpc to my 200wpc solidstate amp now.  i always thought bigger was better as long as the speakers can take it.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

mfrench

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 09:54:31 PM »
I can't answer the 'compare' question.

You'd probably be pretty good at soldering after building it! :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:59:48 PM by mfrench »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 11:50:35 PM »
moke you can drive those soliloquoys with 30wpc pretty well.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

mfrench

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 12:20:58 AM »
thanks, Tim
I figured there is no better way to learn them than to absorb myself in it.
Learning the circuits and pathways via building it would be a great way for me to learn it.

I was all but going to try them, finally, when I bought my Plinius; but it became available before I made a decision, and I knew what it would sound like with the speakers,... yadda, yadda,... yammer yammer.
8 years later, I'm getting the urge to try something different (earth moves slightly).
I've heard so much gushing for so many years regarding tubes, I think I need to finally give 'em a go.

I'll need to tune up my old hafler preamp (dh110) for a front end, until I can do a better preamp.
I found a tuneup kit for the dh110 on eBay, with upgraded capacitors, that is pretty affordable. I might warm up with that project before I commit to the major one.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 02:42:37 AM »

Bob,

Can this also be assumed about my Soliloquys?
I have the 6.3's, which are floor standers, and 90dB efficient. They're said to be tube friendly, and have wattage needs of 10w -> 400w
I'm presently driving them with the Plinius 175w SS amp, which makes them sing at the first perceptible watt. They sound gorgeous at that point.

What I've been theorizing about, is purchasing a DIY tube kit; either the Dynaco st-70 kit, or, the Dynaco st-120 kit, both from Bob Latino.
They are both based on all new parts, and a stainless chassis (the originals were chromed steel).
I'm totally comfortable in my soldering skills, and am not slightly intimidated in building my own amp (actually excited about it).

Given this, would I be better having more wattage from tubes, such as the 120w/60w-side?
The cost diff between the st-70 kit and the st-120 kit is not that far apart, with the bulk$ of the purchase being the expense of the stainless chassis.
My gut tells me more is better, but I do not know tubes, so I thank you, or anyone for the mentoring.

Remember that this is just one man's opinion...

The Soliloquys are just a tad more efficient than the VR-1's which, due in part to their smaller size, like a bit more power.

I think that the difference between an ST-70 and ST-120 amp would be more of versatility and preference of sound.
6550s are cleaner, punchier, and 6L6's sweeter, warmer as a rule, depending on what tubes you roll in.

Do not be misled, an ST-70 will gleefully power the VR-1s or Soliloquys in most household rooms.
35 tube watts per channel is formidable.
There are some speakers that will make the ST-70 seems anemic, and first to come to mind was the early Bose ceiling-hanger-jobber, was it a 901?

An ST-120 will sound less "tubey", but will be there for bigger spaces and future (outlandish) speaker purchases. An ST-70 is sweet and well-loved by many tube gurus.

BTW, I am using a powered sub with the VR-1s, which takes a big load off the amp anyhow.

A sidenote:
There are some used Prima Lunas and JoLidas out there in the price range of those Dynaclones.
The Dyna circuits are well covered on the 'Net and their parts may live-on forever.
If they follow the Dyna/Heathkit style, they shouldn't be all too hard to assemble.

Any time someone tells me that they are digging in to a tube chassis I always remind them of this:

Disclaimer:  Vacuum tube circuits operate at high voltages.  Contact with circuit components or wiring may cause serious injury or death.  High voltages may remain present in tube equipment for a long time, even if the circuit is turned off or disconnected from the mains voltage.  Do not attempt to repair or build vacuum  tube circuits unless you fully understand the safety principles and possess the technical craft required for dealing with high voltage mains-operated equipment.

I can't find any good tube safety links on the web this morning, but they would be well posted in this thread for posterity...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:44:49 AM by 6o6 »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

mfrench

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 08:13:03 AM »
thanks, Bob.
This isn't anything that's going to happen too quickly. I need to move a couple of pieces of gear first to cover the kit.
I'm familiar with a guy in Minnesota that is a tube ace, and repair/analysis expert. I'll see if he can find anything, and what he says about this as well.
So, in the meantime I'll read up on the safety factors, and reading in general.

Offline Tim

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 09:21:08 AM »
Check this guy out too Moke,
http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/about-us/niteshade-news
he's super knowledgeable and always up for talking shop.

and this is another shop worth looking at, they sell some kits
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

their Line 2 preamp is very highly regarded

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 10:13:11 AM »

I can't find any good tube safety links on the web this morning, but they would be well posted in this thread for posterity...

Pfft! Just stick a screwdriver between the terminals of all your power caps before you dig in.

/sarcasm
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

mfrench

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 10:15:25 AM »
weren't you supposed to lick test them first?

Offline Tim

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »
just like a 9v battery

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
wow, might be over my head and solder abilities.  thanks for the links.

im still confused how this would compare at 60wpc to my 200wpc solidstate amp now.  i always thought bigger was better as long as the speakers can take it.

I've built 4 or 5 ST-70s over the last few years and can definately point you in the right direction.

Just a few points that come to mind...
There are literally 100,000s of ST-70s out there, so I would definately point you in the direction of an ST-70 that you can then change to use 6L6 or 6550s for power tubes.  There will be much more info out there for 'basic' ST-70s.  There are litearlly dozens of well respected mods out there and lots of things you can try once you get things up and running (probably 2 weekends worth of work to put everything together and get it burned in/tested).

I think you'll be surprised what 35wpc will deliver via tubes.

I probably have some pictures of the ST70 rebuild process that I can publish.  No major pitfalls come to mind, the ST-70s have a pretty straightforward desing, and a lot of the minute details are handled on the PC board.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »
weren't you supposed to lick test them first?

Which explains the domestication of cats....     
 :scared:
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 10:37:08 PM »
Some St70 pictures, I have to go back and find the starting pictures, but basically this one started with a chassis that was rather pitted on top so it was shot with hammered finish paint and received some new transformers.

At any rate, there isn't too much going on under the hood of these, not too hard to rebuild one, parts are readily available.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »
^ Newb question.  What are those two white sockets on either side of the inputs for?  Tubes?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com