Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone upgrade from HD280...?  (Read 11903 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Headphone upgrade from HD280...?
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:53:36 PM »
I'm considering upgrading from my Senn HD280s to some possibly nicer home cans.  I'll be running them through a decent but by no means audiophile USB headphone pre/DAC out of a Macbook Pro.

Is there anything that's a real upgrade to the 280s in the $200-300 (maybe $400) range?  What I'm really looking for in a home can is something I can use for mastering - so my main goal is something that is very flat and accurate.  I use Westone 3s as my portable phones and love them, but I don't want to master on something that has that light bass boost like they do.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Headphone upgrade from HD280...?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:42:41 PM »
Senn-600-650---AKG 701.......

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:28:11 AM »
Audio Technica M50. 

:coolguy:

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 02:05:16 AM »
I concur with the 650 and M50 recs. The 701s are atrociously bright IMHO. I tried them against a set of Sennheiser eh350s (which have less bass than the 600s/650s) and they were bright then.

The 600s are great headphones, and many an engineer/mixer use them to check stuff, but I think the bass quantity on the 650s is more accurate even with the mid-bass hump on the 650s which the 600s don't exhibit. ymmv (I don't use any of these currently but have sampled the 600s/650s/701s in the past).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:38:10 AM »
I concur with the 650 and M50 recs. The 701s are atrociously bright IMHO.

I use 650s and agree the 701s are way over-bright in the upper mids to my ears. 

I find the 650s emphasize the upper bass slightly and lean a bit dark in the upper midrange/trebble, though not enough to be an issue.  It's difficult correclty juding bass adjustments on headphones, but if anything the 650's slight emphasis helps me to get in the right ballpark.  If I eq with the 650s, I often find I just need to back off the resulting trebble shelf eq by a dB or so for 'flat' translation to speaker playback. Generally I think they are about as resonably flat as it gets for phones- without calibrated personal EQ since everyone's ear resonances are different. I'm quite happy with their detail and soundstage.  If you like the Senn sound in general, you'll probably dig them, plus they can usually be found right in your target price range.

Haven't heard the M50, but I'd like to.  Isn't it a closed-back phone?  If so that's something to consider as the others mentioned are all open-back.  Nice price on the M50.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
I concur with the 650 and M50 recs. The 701s are atrociously bright IMHO.

I use 650s and agree the 701s are way over-bright in the upper mids to my ears. 

I find the 650s emphasize the upper bass slightly and lean a bit dark in the upper midrange/trebble, though not enough to be an issue.  It's difficult correclty juding bass adjustments on headphones, but if anything the 650's slight emphasis helps me to get in the right ballpark.  If I eq with the 650s, I often find I just need to back off the resulting trebble shelf eq by a dB or so for 'flat' translation to speaker playback. Generally I think they are about as resonably flat as it gets for phones- without calibrated personal EQ since everyone's ear resonances are different. I'm quite happy with their detail and soundstage.  If you like the Senn sound in general, you'll probably dig them, plus they can usually be found right in your target price range.

Haven't heard the M50, but I'd like to.  Isn't it a closed-back phone?  If so that's something to consider as the others mentioned are all open-back.  Nice price on the M50.

Yeah, it's a closed back and cheap. I think your remark about bass on a headphone are spot on. If studio monitors and general speakers are your reference, then it's very difficult to achieve that level of bass with an open back headphone. The Senn 600 line are the only things I can think of from an open back perspective (especially near his price range) that come close to being "neutral" in bass quantity. You trade the midrange and upper-bass bump for it though. That's why I mentioned the 600s as well (which I think are bass-shy, but the rest of the sound is good in a "Senn house sound" type way).

I actually had the W3's little brother, the UM3X which had slightly less bass, and I went with a set of Denon D7000s that when slightly damped will come even closer to what I think natural is above either of the Senns (well, above any of the Sennheisers at that). I almost recommended the D2000s or the D5000s, but the later has too much bass (akin to the W3's he didn't want to use), and I haven't heard the former. If you could get a demo copy of the D2000 with some music you are really familiar with, that would be an option to consider.

"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:44:51 PM »
I think the slight upper bass emphasis in the 650s can actually work to our advantage when trying to do post work with them, because it somewhat lessens the headphone bass translation issue when eq'ing the sometimes problematic the 'mud' range.  IMO ending up with slightly less than the ideal amount of energy in that region (and below) is a better tradeoff than a little too much.  It's easy to fall prey to dialing in a bit of extra bass that sounds good on headphones, so cans with a very slight emphasis there helps to keep the eq decisions slightly 'lean' around that region.

As for the lowest octaves, I can detect the general presence, detail and timbre easier with the 650s than on my big floorstander speakers, but eq and level decisions based on that are suspect simply because of the whole bass headphone thing in general.  Still, if I can get the trickier upper bass right, the lower bass often falls into place relatively easily.

The part were I always want to speaker check headphone mixes most closely is the upper mids and treble, because small changes made there always seem more overtly evident to me there than the bass region.

As an aside- I think that one of the bigger challenges in mastering our stuff with headphones isn't actually their frequency response curves (which can be more or less compensated for by 'learning' the sound of your phones and how the decisions made with them translate.. or by personalized headphone eqs, another topic altogether) but dynamics.  Headphone listening acts somewhat like a compressor in highlighting micro-dynamic details that aren't nearly as apparent over speakers.  That in turn has a big effect on how we hear and make decisions about not only dynamics but also timbre.  By that I mean that even if you had a tuned, personalized eq setting to get the perceived response of your prefered phones as close to that of a pair of reference monitors as possible (bass-shaker attached to your seat?), the difference in how we hear dynamics on headphones would still affect your eq choices differently than if you were using speakers.. as well as the other, perhaps more obvious things such as soundstage and the dynamics in dynamic terms alone.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline slightlys

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 04:56:55 PM »
If you decide to pull the trigger and want to unload the hd 280s. I'll gladly take them off your hands. My friend has a pair and I have been borrowing his often enough.  ;)
Peluso CEMC6>Bumblebee MiAGi-II silver clad cables>Bm2p+ mod UA-5 >  OCM R-44

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 09:03:49 AM »
I've had a pair of HD 25s since '96...

I did recently hear a pair of Beyer DT 100's which were astonishing actually...

And there's loads of them about...
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
Two more questions:

I assume the 650s can't be had for much less than $500, correct?  I was sort of hoping for something more like $200-300.

This is probably something I should know, but what is the difference, sonically, between open and closed-back cans?  Or put more accurately, why would anyone not want closed-back?  I would think open-back would let in a lot more ambient noise, no?  Is there some reason people prefer them?  I do notice more high-end models tend to be open-back...

Would people agree that those Beyer DT100s are a significant upgrade to the HD280?  Are they transparent-sounding or is the response more colored?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:53:04 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »
I use closed back because I want good sound isolation so I don't bother others.  I use them because I have a hearing loss (after all I'm 'tonedeaf') and my wife has acutely sensitive hearing, so at my volume if I had open back or leaky phones she's telling me to turn the effing music down.  LOL.  I've never owned a great pair of open back, but always figured open back to have a more natural airy overall sound...but yeah there's far less sound isolation either for sound going out or sounds external from coming in.

There's some discussion on the AT M50, which I just recently purchased.  You don't seem to be interested in these, so I might not be helping, but I'm pleased with their general neutrality/transparency.  They're achieving the goal that I bought them for...to use as my mastering phones and also to take to shows for monitoring.  They have a nice snug fit without being overly loose nor overly tight.  The cable is heavy gauge coiled cable with a nice beefy jack with a spring strain relief.  I bought them off the web, but found a large range of prices from close to $200 all the way down to $90.  Obviously, I went with the low price and think they're a very good deal at that price. 

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »
Two more questions:

I assume the 650s can't be had for much less than $500, correct?  I was sort of hoping for something more like $200-300.

This is probably something I should know, but what is the difference, sonically, between open and closed-back cans?  Or put more accurately, why would anyone not want closed-back?  I would think open-back would let in a lot more ambient noise, no?  Is there some reason people prefer them?  I do notice more high-end models tend to be open-back...

closed back headphones have problems with resonances. Some do, some don't (as much). Sometimes this works in a listeners favor, other times it is a detriment.  Steve's right that they have a much more airy sound, less muffle at any rate. Whether that's working for you or not is a different question.

As far as the 650s. You might watch head-fi and see what a used set pops up for (searching the archives is useless, people erase what they asked for which is lame IMHO).

In your price range, new, I'd look at the M50s.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »
I paid $300 a couple years ago for the 650s, new after a $50 rebate.  Of all the phones I've heard, in general I far prefer the sound of most open back phones as long as there is no background room noise issue.  If outside sound, or sound leaking out from the phones to others is an issue, then closed back are superior.  One interesting factor I'll note is that very open phones do not muffle the outside sounds around you much at all so the juxtoposition of real world and reproduced sound can be odd/great/useful/or a detriment.  I can hold a normal conversation with them on with my significant other, be that good.. or bad.  If she speaks on the recording I'm listening to it can sometimes become down right confusing, which I supose is stong praise for the naturalness of both the recording and the phones.

I'm interested in hearing the M-50 for use as a closed back phone when I need one.  My 25 year old Sony MDR's are falling apart.

As for other open backs, I'd like to hear the DT880 Beyers and the new Hifiman othodynamic..
The Stax I've heard are great and I'm sure the HD800 is too but that's silly money.  I think your price range is a very good value sweet spot.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:41:51 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline PeteJE

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
I love the Sony MDR 7506 - price is lower, but don't let that sway you, these translate great and accurately for me.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 09:16:35 PM »
I love the Sony MDR 7506 - price is lower, but don't let that sway you, these translate great and accurately for me.

thats what i thought until i got the ATm5os!!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline PeteJE

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »

thats what i thought until i got the ATm5os!!

I will have to check those out.  Thanks!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »
You may also consider the at-am700 open style headphones. I believe that is the correct model, but I'll check later.

I don't own them but I have read many positive reviews of them.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 08:31:29 AM »
The cable is heavy gauge coiled cable with a nice beefy jack with a spring strain relief. 

Just wanted to add that there is also an AT-M50s version with a straight cable.

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 05:29:06 AM »
Ha ha!!

you're all wrong!!

THIS is what you want!!
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded on this thread, it gave me a good baseline to make some decisions on my own head gear.  I just picked up the BeyerDynamic DT-880-PRO version(250 ohm), so far they sound excellent. Spent about 1.5 hours listening to them at the shop. Got 'em home for $221, I made Guitar Center price match B&H.... :) Time to break these suckers in!

J
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 05:36:17 AM »

For 15 years or so I've used Sennheiser 580's (now kaput), 600's & 650's for home use and I love them. Also for 15 years or so I've been using Etymotics for noise canceling (ER-4P and HF5).

However 15-20 years ago I used the MDR-7506's predecessor, the  MDR-V6 both for home use and when I wanted to reduce noise. I loved them and thought they sounded great. I've read great customer reviews of the MDR-7506 and you can pick up a new pair for next to nothing on E-Bay (under $50 shipped). They seem to be used for mastering quite a bit. I bet they'd still sound great to me and I'm sure there's loads and loads of much more expensive phones that don't sound as good.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
The 7506's and V6's are the same headphone.  Just made for marketing towards different crowds (professional use vs. consumer use) and the 7506 has a gold plated plug. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
The 7506's and V6's are the same headphone.  Just made for marketing towards different crowds (professional use vs. consumer use) and the 7506 has a gold plated plug.

The V6's also have a bit wider frequency response. 5–30,000 Hz on the V6 vs. 10–20,000 Hz on the 7506's.
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
^^
That may be nothing more than marketing differences targeting different groups, if there is no tollerance stated for the measurements.

The smaller range stated for the professional crowd may be the same driver measured to a tigher tollerance.  Most consumers have no concept of meaurement tollerance so if they see a larger range of frequency numbers stated, they simply take that to mean 'better'.  Even though the response may be nothing close to flat and WAY down at those extremes, the driver is still producing measureable sound, so technically it's truthful.

I still have a 25 year old pair of Sony V6.  Haven't used them in the last 15 or so since the pads disentigrated.  They were good cans I'd have no problem recommending in general, even though I can't say how they'd compare at this point.

Offline George

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »

The V6's also have a bit wider frequency response. 5–30,000 Hz on the V6 vs. 10–20,000 Hz on the 7506's.

Like gutbucket said, its just marketing crap.  Go on head-fi and look it up, there was a big thread where people who own both stated they sound exactly the same.  They look exactly the same as well. 

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »
^^
That may be nothing more than marketing differences targeting different groups, if there is no tollerance stated for the measurements.

The smaller range stated for the professional crowd may be the same driver measured to a tigher tollerance.  Most consumers have no concept of meaurement tollerance so if they see a larger range of frequency numbers stated, they simply take that to mean 'better'.  Even though the response may be nothing close to flat and WAY down at those extremes, the driver is still producing measureable sound, so technically it's truthful.

I still have a 25 year old pair of Sony V6.  Haven't used them in the last 15 or so since the pads disentigrated.  They were good cans I'd have no problem recommending in general, even though I can't say how they'd compare at this point.

The velour pads from the beyerdynamic dt250's fit them perfectly.   ;)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »
The velour pads from the beyerdynamic dt250's fit them perfectly.   ;)

That's good to know, thanks!

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »

Like gutbucket said, its just marketing crap.  Go on head-fi and look it up, there was a big thread where people who own both stated they sound exactly the same.  They look exactly the same as well.

Yeah for sure. I was just quoting the stated specs. I didn't make any claim it made them better or sound different.  Who knows, maybe it applies to someone studying ultrasonic bat calls, or a 6Hz whale fart.  ;D (although not likely)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
you gonna up that whale fart recording somewhere?  :)

stevetoney

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 06:44:40 AM »
you gonna up that whale fart recording somewhere?  :)

I'm also interested, but not without photos.

Offline George

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 09:41:25 PM »
I hope its at least a 24 bit recording.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
While unloading at the Pennycamp marina dock yesterday after sailing with some friends to the reefs off Key Largo over the weekend there was a very large manatee lazily floating around and occasionally sticking nostrils up for air. Some people gathered around to check it out and after a while a largish bubble exited around the side of it's back end.  No impressive sound and the breeze was off-dock so everyone laughed and assumed it was SBD.  Ironically, I did take a recording rig to catch some sounds of sailing, both topside and water-rushing below deck, but it was packed away at that point.  I did snap a few photos but didn't catch the bubble.  This is probably the closest I'll ever get to documenting a marine mammal gas release and the serendipitous connection to the turn of this thread just last week put a big smile on my face. 

:D

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 10:33:27 PM »
While unloading at the Pennycamp marina dock yesterday after sailing with some friends to the reefs off Key Largo over the weekend there was a very large manatee lazily floating around and occasionally sticking nostrils up for air. Some people gathered around to check it out and after a while a largish bubble exited around the side of it's back end.  No impressive sound and the breeze was off-dock so everyone laughed and assumed it was SBD.  Ironically, I did take a recording rig to catch some sounds of sailing, both topside and water-rushing below deck, but it was packed away at that point.  I did snap a few photos but didn't catch the bubble.  This is probably the closest I'll ever get to documenting a marine mammal gas release and the serendipitous connection to the turn of this thread just last week put a big smile on my face. 

:D

Did you yell: 

"Nice Out!"

8)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »
Took some of the shine off the manatees=mermaids theory for me.  ;)

..though she was wearing rouge-

Intake-

Comparison shot with an actual mermaid-

[threadjack/]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:19:11 AM by Gutbucket »

Offline 75McTapHead29

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 12:42:14 AM »
Have you tried the other brands like the BeyerDynamic? I am not familiar with the specs of different headphones but I can suggest quality headphones like the Grado SR325is headphones. I love it because I love its style and quality.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:16:27 AM by 75McTapHead29 »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 09:18:49 AM »

For 15 years or so I've used Sennheiser 580's (now kaput), 600's & 650's for home use and I love them. Also for 15 years or so I've been using Etymotics for noise canceling (ER-4P and HF5).

at

My Sennheiser 580's have been going strong for many, many years...

Nice photos Lee.  I'd love to trade a few weeks of Minneosta Winter with you for what you depict...   ;)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:21:24 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »
Thanks David, I've been working the Miami boat show this weekend and have met no less than 4 Minnesotans that have all expressed extreme pleasure about being here for a down here in February!  I won't torture you further by telling you what the weather's been like  down here the last month or so.

In an attempt to keep this post on-tread, I'll add that I did walk by the booth for David Clark headsets- serious industrial / military grade comm headsets with noise reduction tech for hearing protection and communication in loud environments like engine rooms, airplanes, industrial situations, etc.  Not sure about their fidelity as they are not sold for music monitoring (no I didn't bring my recorder to listen to a few live tracks  ;)) , but I am curious about their passive + active noise cancellation technologies which I believe will be the only way to get truly excellent bass isolation in a live monitoring phone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.172 seconds with 65 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com