Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone / DAC  (Read 13980 times)

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Headphone / DAC
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 11:35:21 PM »
Our warrantee is for one year. However, If you would like to send your unit in for repairs, you may certainly do so, if you are responsible for the cost of shipping in both directions. We will be glad to repair the unit at no cost for any of our loyal customers.

email reply re scratchy volume from centrance

thats service and i am grateful
now to ship back to usa

i will get a audioquest as a spare portable for pc
good excuse to try it out
44/48 over usb only though does bother me i think

i might go the portable centrance one instead the dacport
i feel it will be better but the audioquest does have reviews that glow
for a puny thing that it is

the voltage is why i think the centrance dacport will be better
and it does 24 96 over usb
and it does inc jitter measurements  in specs

a rule of mine is specs
no data provided  = its crap and they now it
you all should bank the last line

g

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 03:07:39 AM »
YULONG D100 - I bought one last year and don't regret it - search on Head-Fi.org, there are some glowing reviews, very neutral DAC and transparent, of the same ilk as the Benchmark/Grace but sub-$300. Don't let the Chinese label put you off, it really is superb value for the money.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
Man been down for the count the last few days sick as a dog.....   Finally feeling better.   Thanks for all the info.... I will report back once I get a unit..
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
YULONG D100 - I bought one last year and don't regret it - search on Head-Fi.org, there are some glowing reviews, very neutral DAC and transparent, of the same ilk as the Benchmark/Grace but sub-$300. Don't let the Chinese label put you off, it really is superb value for the money.

I hadn't heard about this one. Just did a little reading, and it seems pretty promising. Do you have the original or the D100 MKII?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:52:43 PM by JBou »

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 03:40:07 AM »
I think I have the original. The MkII came out just as I bought mine but from what I remember there wasn't much difference in the spec. The DAC quality is actually way beyond its price, the headphone amp is pretty good also.

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »
Don't overlook some of the external audio recording interfaces as well... I've been using the now-discontinued E-MU 0404 USB (forget about using it with anything other than WinXP or Mac), and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (which actually has working Windows 7 drivers), and both sound wonderful through my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro/80 cans.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »
Schitt Audio has just release a $99 headphone amp with a matching usb Dac:

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1

If they are anything like the more expensive schitt they make, these should be on anyone's short list for a ~$200 DAC/AMP combo.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 01:56:46 AM »
I'm very happy with my standalone ODAC from JDSLabs.com (going to an Outlaw RR2150 receiver).
If I needed a separate headphone amp, I'd get the O2 (same designer).
It's also possible to get the O2 with the ODAC builtin.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »
I'm very happy with my standalone ODAC from JDSLabs.com (going to an Outlaw RR2150 receiver).

Such a shame it can't handle 88.2 kHz. I don't understand why designers leave this out.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline SBW

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:45 PM »
Don't overlook some of the external audio recording interfaces as well... I've been using the now-discontinued E-MU 0404 USB (forget about using it with anything other than WinXP or Mac), and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (which actually has working Windows 7 drivers), and both sound wonderful through my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro/80 cans.

The E-MU 0404 works out of the box as of ubuntu 12.10.  I've tested mine and the only thing that doesn't work is recording at 24bit 192khz.  Playback works up to 24/192 and recording works fine up to 24/96

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »

Such a shame it can't handle 88.2 kHz. I don't understand why designers leave this out.

The Audioquest Dragonfly can do 88.2. It has two word clocks, one for 44.1 / 88.2 and another for 48 / 96.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »
Anyone using a good quality headphone DAC with their computer?  I am in the market for one and I think I have found one.  But I am not looking to spend a boatload so the Benchmark and Grace models are out of the question at the moment.  One will be had in the future but not now.  I am looking at the sub 500$ range.  There are some interesting T-Amp type Headphone DACs out there I might try.  Just wondering if anyone is using something that is the best kept secret?  We are talking bang for the buck Headphone DAC.

Peace OOK

Hey now. You're welcome to borrow my Centrance DACport, if you'd like to audition it before you plunk down some cash (assuming you haven't already)...

http://centrance.com/products/dacport/

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »
The E-MU 0404 works out of the box as of ubuntu 12.10.  I've tested mine and the only thing that doesn't work is recording at 24bit 192khz.  Playback works up to 24/192 and recording works fine up to 24/96

Good to know that recent Linux kernels support it. My XP box seems to be showing signs that it won't last long (bulging caps on the motherboard and CPU undervoltage warnings from the monitoring app), and I'd hate to junk a perfectly good interface because Creative couldn't be bothered to write release-quality Win7 drivers. Last time I had tried, the Linux drivers for the 0404 weren't ready for prime time. If only Foobar2000 natively supported Linux (WINE isn't really good enough). There are some decent players for Linux (such as Clementine), but I really like Foobar's file management and tagging.

I don't have any conceivable use for 24/192 at any rate...
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »

Good to know that recent Linux kernels support it. My XP box seems to be showing signs that it won't last long (bulging caps on the motherboard and CPU undervoltage warnings from the monitoring app), and I'd hate to junk a perfectly good interface because Creative couldn't be bothered to write release-quality Win7 drivers. Last time I had tried, the Linux drivers for the 0404 weren't ready for prime time. If only Foobar2000 natively supported Linux (WINE isn't really good enough). There are some decent players for Linux (such as Clementine), but I really like Foobar's file management and tagging.

I don't have any conceivable use for 24/192 at any rate...

The DACport is also supported natively in Linux... Just plug it in and it works.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com