Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can somebody explain wattage and speaker efficiency? (tube vs. SS content)  (Read 13493 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
It can't hurt to try.

that is what i was looking for. +t

i was going to try plugging the cables in to 4ohm taps, but the back panel of my klipsch speakers says 8ohms, so i never have. but if i wont f*ck something up, i will give it a whirl sometime...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
You will not f*ck anything up.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
I had no idea... I'm going to mess with that next week. thanks

here's a 100 for ya ducati
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Make sure you let us know what you think.  It all depends upon the speaker/amp interaction!

Offline macdaddy

Make sure you let us know what you think.  It all depends upon the speaker/amp interaction!

so just power down, pull the plugs, reconnect to the different set of taps, and power back up..?
-macdaddy ++

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Yes--but just as a general suggestion, leave your tube amp powered off for awhile.  A few mins should be sufficient.  It is very hard on tube amps to turn off/on in quick succession.  The worst case is a quick off/on (sometimes you will hear audible groaning!) but I try to play it safe there.

Offline macdaddy

well, i'll be d*mned... i think using the 4ohm taps improves the sound noticeably. the sound stage opened up a bit, and i have a bit more defined bass (i know that is what every audiophile says, but i swear, i hear it)... the dobros sound much more real, too [listening to david johansen and the harry smiths (2-ch sacd)]...

i am very glad i tried that - thanks again, ducati, for holding my hand, and reassuring me :P

-macdaddy ++

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
You're welcome!!  Glad you liked it.  Now listen like this for a few weeks and switch back.  I'll be interested to hear what you heard "going back."  It should vindicate the decision on which is the better tap :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
well, i'll be d*mned... i think using the 4ohm taps improves the sound noticeably. the sound stage opened up a bit, and i have a bit more defined bass (i know that is what every audiophile says, but i swear, i hear it)... the dobros sound much more real, too [listening to david johansen and the harry smiths (2-ch sacd)]...

i am very glad i tried that - thanks again, ducati, for holding my hand, and reassuring me :P

Wait, so you just hooked up 8ohm Klipsch to the 4ohm outputs on the amp, and that's not going to hurt the amp?   I'm confused...  ???

anyways, what klipsch are you running, macdaddy? 
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
No, it won't hurt anything.  Each speaker is different, and each amp/speaker combo will be "optimized" as well as possible on one of the existing taps.  Lots of ratings "8 ohm, 8ohm compatible" etc are just general guidelines.  Curves vary widely in practice...  Here's the curve from my now-departed B&W N805's (courtesy of Stereophile):

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
damn, I guess I'll have to try it then.  +t
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
BTW--in that Stereophile diagram, the black line is impedence.

I liked that speaker on the 8 ohm tap best, as you can see, it doesn't drop below 8 very often.

Offline Tim

just switched from the 8ohm to the 4ohm taps... sound is very different, noticeable change immediatley... not sure which I like more but for the time being the new 4ohm setup has me intrugued. the bass and low mids seem cleaner and the bass seems tighter and lower..... the upper mids seem cleaner as well...

I'll have to do some more listening though
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

hmmmm..... imaging seems tighter and the soundstage seems much deeper and WIDER... instruments are reaching well outside my speakers, much further than usual.

I'm going to switch back to the 8ohm taps in a bit and see what I think of the differences but the 4ohm taps seems to have really brought my system to life...

edit: soundstage is a touch wider, not as dramatic as I originally thought... overall though the soundstage seems deeper, the imaging tighter, and the overall tonal characteristics seem cleaner with deeper bass when I'm on the 4ohm taps as oppossed to the (recommended) 8ohm taps...

I still need to do more listening but I've got to thank DUCATI for tipping me off to this tweak... much thanks :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 09:08:16 PM by Tim »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com