Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VSA VR4 speakers  (Read 19208 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: VSA VR4 speakers
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 06:23:56 PM »
Sorry Scott, you are correct as far as the Sr. is concerned but I call all the original VR4 Sr's now since they introduced the Jr's.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 06:59:02 PM »
the VR4's are probably one of the best gems in the used game.
so accurate and powerfull

Are you powering these with the Sony?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 07:26:18 PM »
yes.  A 3000es.
they could be powered better though.  the McCormack DNA-1 I used to have had much more "impact" than the sony.  These things would make your ears hurt at low volume just due to room presurization.  I loved it.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 09:24:03 AM »
Ugh!!  A pair of month old VR4Jr's just went up for sale 60 miles from my house!

I never thought I'd catch myself saying this but .... that wood is sexy. 

I have the cherry because that is what was available used at the time but I'd rather have those.  You will be happy with the 4JRs if you decide to go that route.  Maybe not the bargain that the VR4IIs are right now, but worth the expense.  Also, they tend to sell easily so if you get them and then change your mind, you aren't really out anything since you won't pay shipping for those.

Actually if you (or anyone) get them and decide you prefer the cherry, I'm up for a trade.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 09:47:29 AM »
Ugh!!  A pair of month old VR4Jr's just went up for sale 60 miles from my house!

I really am leaning towards just getting a nice pair of VR4's and _maybe_ having them upgraded..  But those VR4jr's sure are purty...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1140317044

Damn you those were my secret!  Pass through 48307 everyday to and from work (about 20min) from me now.  If I pick them up maybe a trade could be had.  I plan to go all red cherry.  Only thing I've been waiting for is for Albert to design a new center channel.  LCR-15 = WEAK!!  Right now I plan on holding what I have and upgrading the front end and then upgrade speakers. Planned overhaul to take place Q3 '06.  As bad as I want to do it all now, the boat is FS and I've got my eye on a new larger/faster/louder one.  HT gets majority of use Oct-Apr.  Season is already half gone.

Freelunch, buy those 4jr's!!!  Best price I've seen considering you could pick them up!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »
african hazelwood is the way to go

and damn, those vr4srs in suffern are tempting.  though my room isn't even big enough for the vr2s...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 11:04:33 AM »
Cherry is nice but the AH is definitely my favorite finish. Don't care for the light maple at all.

The point about resale is well taken. I could enjoy these while I decide my next gear move. Whether that is 'find VR4 and maybe upgrade' or something else..  And the vr4jr would easily sell.. It shouldn't cost me much at all to play with these over the next year..

As I mentioned, any VR4 is too much for my current space. But given the appearance of the old VR4 and the reasonable cost, I could see sticking them in the new basement listening room without much guilt (which at 11x20 is really sized more for VR-1's).  My current upstairs floor plan is mostly an "L"  (or "C" with the kitching in the middle) and also not well suited to big speakers.  The VR4jr looks so good, it would be hard to stick them downstairs out of sight and away from where I spend the most time.  The livingroom would be okay except for the fireplace in the corner..

Tough decision. I sent the seller a note.

Scervin, I didn't know you were in this area.. But it makes sense based on your comments in the auto industry threads.  Is team mich going to see you out taping anytime soon? (trying to remember if I have and don't remember..)

Has anyone ever heard the nucleus ref 3's?  They are getting a fair bit of press. There is a dealer in town but I haven't stopped by..

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/newsletter/150/gallo.html

Offline cdevs

• Taperssection Regular
  • I got a pork roll egg cheese & bacon
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 02:11:58 PM »
I heard a pair of those Gallos here in Portland. Nice imaging but a bit of a cold & clinical sound to my ears. LF extension wasn't the best either. They are also rather short. Worst of all are the looks. Kinda like sitting in front of a science project dreamed up by the car stereo salesman at Circuit City.

But other than that they're great, Im sure you'll love them :-*
Gefell MG300s> Bumblebees> Apogee Mini-MP> Edirol R-09hr

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 02:26:25 PM »
Worst of all are the looks. Kinda like sitting in front of a science project dreamed up by the car stereo salesman at Circuit City.

But other than that they're great, Im sure you'll love them 

Funny cdev.. I was, for a moment, suspending my concerns about their appearance. After all, I am considering VR4's.  :P

I love the "must be made up" quote from the wife: 'As my wife said, "With these speakers, the music just happens within its own space; you can see the Gallos in front of you, but you don't even have the sense that they're on."'  "Honey, if you let me attribute this quote to you, I promise that they'll be gone by the end of the month..."

I've been thinking about those damn vr4jr's all morning.. I have the seller's number. I know my old plan was the best: Get some nice VR-1's and wait for some VR4's. But you know how it goes..

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 03:48:21 PM »
It may be a good idea to audition some Dali Helicon or Euphoria's and maybe some Revel Performa series. 

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 04:31:37 PM »
If I could do it again I would also get the African but I had no choice at all, mine are the first pair ever made (serial number 0000 & 0001) They were on display at all the shows & the pics on the website as well as the magazines.

I think the 4Jr's are outstanding but if you have the room go big or go home!

>:D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 06:05:02 PM »
I've been thinking about those damn vr4jr's all morning.. I have the seller's number. I know my old plan was the best: Get some nice VR-1's and wait for some VR4's. But you know how it goes..

I say this with all sincerity and not just because I'm a recovering upgrade junkie:  you really should consider making any purchase a two step upgrade.  That will allow you to upgrade other parts of the system without the component in question falling behind.  Since I started doing this, letting different components leap frog each other wrt upgrade level, it's led to less frequent upgrades and a lot more satisfaction.  ymmv.

But you already know the VR4JRs are the right thing to do ;-).

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 06:26:51 PM »

I say this with all sincerity and not just because I'm a recovering upgrade junkie:  you really should consider making any purchase a two step upgrade.  That will allow you to upgrade other parts of the system without the component in question falling behind.  Since I started doing this, letting different components leap frog each other wrt upgrade level, it's led to less frequent upgrades and a lot more satisfaction.  ymmv.

But you already know the VR4JRs are the right thing to do ;-).

This is exactly why I keep telling my wife we need to get a 28' with a 525efi!!  Then she brings up her home furnishing upgrade plan...... ;D

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 12:45:33 PM »
When I read that the VSA warranty transfers to the second owner.. That signals that it might not transfer to a third owner?  If so, I would imagine that there is a ding in value when reselling to a third owner.

Anyone know?  I can't find a copy online and it appears that vsa is off for the holiday..

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 01:12:58 PM »
How big of a room do you need for these?
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com