Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: clean AC power...WOW  (Read 20873 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: clean AC power...WOW
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2006, 11:22:10 AM »
i can't see why not

that is what I thought, just wanted a second opinion.  Limited rack space :P

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2006, 12:13:45 PM »
Nick's Picks domino effect in action again. :P ;D

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2006, 12:20:47 PM »
If any of you clean AC power freaks are interested, I make some nice AC power cords. :)  My Doghouse VH Power Cables are made based on the venerable Ven Haus power cable design with shielded 12 ga. silver-clad stock using Marinco hospital grade plugs and Schurter IECs.  More info on my AC cables is in this thread.

Carry on. :spin:
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2006, 07:01:05 PM »
I made my own as well.  very satisfied for the nominal investment.
what do you charge for yours Todd?

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2006, 09:14:23 AM »
If anyone is super adventurous, read the Felicia DIY balanced power conditioner thread at audiocircle.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2006, 12:57:31 PM »

at the price I got it for, what the hell...worst that can happen is better protection for my home theater :P

Offline L Ron Hoover

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2006, 04:10:02 PM »

at the price I got it for, what the hell...worst that can happen is better protection for my home theater :P

That was the same thing I thought! +T to the thread.

Oh yeah, the lights and the AC voltage meter that looks like McIntosh makes it worth every penny. ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 04:13:46 PM by L Ron Hoover »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2006, 10:24:55 PM »
alright got this installed today.  When I was done installing it I decided it was worth it even if it doesnt improve a thing as it helps with alot of cable cleanup in my system...that and the surge protection are worth it.

Music - I am probably imagining this a bit, but I think I am getting a bigger soundstage...or maybe it is clearer imaging, as the one thing I know for certain is that the bass response is much better and there is a detail in the mid-upper range I was not getting before.  Slight difference...in that I dont think it is night and day, but it has alot more seperation of the instruments than I had before.  The analogy of the music jumping out at you is dead on as well.

Video - Dont notice much difference on SD programming.  HD however has a change...seems to have a much better color definition...colors are definitely more vivid than they were before.  DVD...minor video change, I am seeing some of the same effect as I see on HD, just a smaller scale.

Overall, well worth my $130 price after rebate...pretty happy I got it...for reference I was using a monster surge protection strip before...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2006, 07:58:06 AM »
me too moke

just a blue light ;)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2006, 08:00:15 AM »
NG:, your not imagining it.  you describe exactly what I was thinking w/my system.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2006, 09:24:44 AM »
Generally, when installing a PC, you should be hearing a much blacker background, improved imaging and soundstaging, and probably more detauil, especially anything about about 1000, probably tighter bass too. 
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline L Ron Hoover

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2006, 02:53:24 PM »
This thing really did wonders for my analog cable TV signal. That definately helps with the GAF. Also, the soundstage does seem wider. Cleaning up the power cable clutter was the main thing for me though.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »
now add some AC cables...and your in business.

i'm going to be building a bunch of 1m and .5m cords.  i'll take pictures and post them FS when i'm done.  they'll be cheap.

cshepherd

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2006, 02:18:24 AM »
I would suggest to try not stacking gear.  Stacked electronics can allow for EMI to enter into the system.  EMI can have a negative impact on the system's noise floor.  Stacking may not affect playback quality, but I don't think I would assume anything in that situation.  Isolation feet like Vibrapods would be helpful if you have to stack the units.  Digital converters appreciate isolation.

On an unrelated note, I got some NOS GE black plate preamp tubes in my Aronov 960i integrated amp this week and they're starting to break in.  It's like seeing an old friend again. 

Happy Friday the 13th,
Chris
Eugene Hi-Fi
Eugene, Ore.

alright, dumb question, is there any risk/effect, to placing the power conditioner on the same shelf as the dvd transport, underneath it, so that the dvd player sits on top of it?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2006, 09:46:23 AM »
thanks.  I ended up keeping the components on seperate shelves just in case

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com