Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser HD 650 vs. AKG K 701  (Read 11805 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Sennheiser HD 650 vs. AKG K 701
« on: April 06, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »
Anyone listened to both that can share some opinions?  Seems like the AKG's are supposed to be a little more forward/punchy sounding & the Senn's a little more organic.  They're about the same price.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Sennheiser HD 650 vs. AKG K 701
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:28:56 AM »
I have the HD600's and I am very happy with them. Especially when driven with a headphone amp.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »
I have the HD 650's and love them.....use a AKG Hearo 999 Audiosphere headphone amp to drive them....the combination is bliss.. ;D.....They even sound great plugged into my Sony receiver...

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:44:54 PM »
You can see what I run in my sig... I'll also say that the 600's run just fine out of the 722/744t headphone amp (though I usually use my E4Cs on the raod for obvious reasons). In any case the 600's are a much warmer and more open sound... they are like butter when driven with tubes. The AKG's are like slightly more forgiving Grado's. The are accurate as hell but can be a bit harsh to my ears...also they don't come close to the 600/650's for comfort (nothing does IMHO).
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 10:12:51 PM »
The AKG's seem to split the difference between the forward in your face Grado Sound and the Relaxed, Open Sennheiser sound.

For what WE do mostly I would consider the Sennheiser Cans with an amp that has an available crossfeed filter. 

As always, what floats your boat is what's most important.  Buy some AKG's to try and borrow some Sennheisers for comparison as they're much more common. Most folks give you 30 days as a return policy...  ;)
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 07:43:59 PM »
I've been trying to find the thread that mentions what cans Mike Grace likes with the M902 but haven't been able to find it.  I think he likes the HD650's with it.  One plus I see with the Senn's is the cable is easily upgradeable.  The AKG's would require cracking open the phones.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:08:38 AM »
Check out head-fi.org Matt.  They've done a ton of headphone shoot-outs.  From what I could gather, the 650's are king, followed closely by the 600's.     

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 10:11:55 AM »
Check out head-fi.org Matt.  They've done a ton of headphone shoot-outs.  From what I could gather, the 650's are king, followed closely by the 600's.     

Thanks, Dan.  I've been reading quite a bit over at Head-Fi.  Good stuff.  I'm leaning towards the 650's right now.  8)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 11:57:44 AM »
I've demoed the akg's with some killer headphone.com amp and it sounded fantastic, very smooth and involving.  I think the akg's are more prone to be picky about what is used to drive them compared the sennheisers.  I've only tried the 650's briefly and thought they sounded good too.  I own the 580's and think they are great, very speaker-like presentation.

My rec would be the sennheiser's because their sound scales in proportion to the amp and source used with them.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 10:38:44 AM »

and then the 595's with cable upgrade ;) My Grace 901>595's are all I need.

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »

Actually, the 595's are a different beast altogether.  It would be 650, 600 then the 580's.

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 12:54:58 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I grabbed the HD650's earlier this week.  Got my M902 yesterday, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Offline ts

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 01:49:46 PM »

Actually, the 595's are a different beast altogether.  It would be 650, 600 then the 580's.

What makes the 595's so different? Other than looks. Just curious.

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 08:37:41 AM »

Different kind of headphone in terms of sound representation.  They're more forward sounding (like grado's...much more treble energy) compared to the 650, 600's and 580's which kinda sound dull/boring/veiled if not properly amped.  The cables also come into play to bring back some of that clarity that is lost due to their stock cables (which is ridiculous). 

I thought the 595's sounded good when I tried them out, but a different beast altogether because of that due to their more aggressive nature.  The 650/600/580 have a warm laid-back tone that remind me of speakers.  I really should whip out my 580's again, it's been ages since I've put them to use.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline ts

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 01:06:21 PM »

Different kind of headphone in terms of sound representation.  They're more forward sounding (like grado's...much more treble energy) compared to the 650, 600's and 580's which kinda sound dull/boring/veiled if not properly amped.  The cables also come into play to bring back some of that clarity that is lost due to their stock cables (which is ridiculous). 

I thought the 595's sounded good when I tried them out, but a different beast altogether because of that due to their more aggressive nature.  The 650/600/580 have a warm laid-back tone that remind me of speakers.  I really should whip out my 580's again, it's been ages since I've put them to use.

Thanks. I have the 580's to. I never really compared them. The 580's are at work and the 595's are home. So maybe the 595's don't really need a cable upgrade, but the other series can surely benefit from one :hmmm:

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 09:17:41 PM »
Ran my HD650s through a M902 for a while and loved the sound - though I found the mids a little recessed. Put a Woo Audio 6 with a Mullard GZ34 in between the 2 and the HD650s sound unbelievable. The 650s like the K701s need lots of clean amplification. I don't think the M902 had enough umph to drive them cleanly and quickly enough - so the middle gets a little muddied. But with a nice tube amp inbetween - I miss my speakers a lot less.

Jeff 
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

Offline George

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 03:43:45 PM »

Thanks. I have the 580's to. I never really compared them. The 580's are at work and the 595's are home. So maybe the 595's don't really need a cable upgrade, but the other series can surely benefit from one :hmmm:

Definitely.  A lot of people on head-fi swear by the aftermarket cables...too bad their so damn expensive.  I just traded my millet amp, so I no longer have a tube amp to drive my senns....I think I'll probably sell them off soon.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 09:05:31 AM »
Are these two headphones considered "best bang for buck" or just some of the better out there?
I am looking for a gift for one of my groomsmen for my wedding in July and headphones popped to mind. 
If the playback amp isn't the best it seems like the Senn's are a better potion?
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline George

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 01:17:21 PM »
Are these two headphones considered "best bang for buck" or just some of the better out there?
I am looking for a gift for one of my groomsmen for my wedding in July and headphones popped to mind. 
If the playback amp isn't the best it seems like the Senn's are a better potion?

If the playback amp isn't the best..well, I'd probably recommend a pair of grado's.  What kind of amp are you talking about anyway? 

Check out www.headphone.com for an entire list of headphones so you'll get an idea of what's out there.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 11:42:56 PM »
What kind of amp are you talking about anyway? 

Check out www.headphone.com for an entire list of headphones so you'll get an idea of what's out there.

Thanks for the link...lets just say my friend isn't an audiofile but loves his tunes, so he's just got the standard home theater/dvd/cd reciever playback.  He also listens to a lot of vinyl on a separate receiver system in his office.
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline heikki

• Taperssection Member
  • ...and i'm as honest as a jersey man can be
    • OutDated List
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 09:10:05 PM »
Bringing this old thread up to the top since I found it while doing some searches.
Did you ever try the K701's with your 902?  Opinions on that combo vs. the HD650/m902 combo?  Just curious what others think.

-Heikki
(m902 > HD600/k701)
C 480 B + CK61/63
          Edirol R-4 (Oade T-Mod x 4)

Masters on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/heikki

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 09:56:40 PM »
Bringing this old thread up to the top since I found it while doing some searches.
Did you ever try the K701's with your 902?  Opinions on that combo vs. the HD650/m902 combo?  Just curious what others think.

-Heikki
(m902 > HD600/k701)

I've never tried the K701's with the 902, only the HD650's. 

Offline heikki

• Taperssection Member
  • ...and i'm as honest as a jersey man can be
    • OutDated List
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 09:17:19 AM »
Thanks.  Was just curious if you followed up with the other set you were considering.

I haven't heard a pair of HD650's through mine, but I do prefer the HD600's, most of the time, to the K701s.  There are good and bad to each, but my personal taste is with the Senns.
C 480 B + CK61/63
          Edirol R-4 (Oade T-Mod x 4)

Masters on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/heikki

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 07:22:03 PM »
I've had my k701s for about a month now, and I simply love them. At the moment, I am running them out of my trusty old DA-P1 (which is also handling the digital conversion).

I think that high-end headphones supply fodder for some of the same issues we know from microphones. Both the HD 650s and the K701s are top notch headphones, it just comes down to preference.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 09:43:31 PM »
Quote from: gloco
Definitely.  A lot of people on head-fi swear by the aftermarket cables...too bad their so damn expensive.  I just traded my millet amp, so I no longer have a tube amp to drive my senns....I think I'll probably sell them off soon.

Which Millet amp did you have? I picked up my Millet when he sold his project box at Head-Fi.org long with my HD-600s and my Clou Red cable. My amp was actually the prototype unit that Pete built to pitch his tube hybrid design to Headroom (he never told me this when I purchased my amp from him).. Imagine my surprise when, 6 months after I bought my amp from Pete, I was flipping through Stereophile and saw Headroom's ad for a much more slickly packaged version of the "Amazing Pete Millet designed hybrid tube headphone amplifier".  I love the thing and it drives the HD-600's quite well.

I will say that my Clou Red cable makes a world of difference over the stock cable. There is a dramatic improvement in bottom end and transparency with the aftermarket cable. The Clou Red is even a few dB louder than the stock. I am glad my cable was included in my purchase as I probably would not have gone out and picked one up if it wasn't. I will say that, from everything I read, the Cardas cable for the HD-600's is even better than the Clou Red and it is far more flexible (one of the drawbacks of the Clou Red is that it is pretty stiff).

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline George

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 08:49:50 AM »
Stagger,

I had a one-of-a-kind millet that Joe Sagan built for me.  It had a wooden chasis, here's a pic:

It sounded great with my senn hd580's and my grado sr60's, bu it rarely got any use.  Head-fier 'terance" traded a new pair of shure se530's for it...I love the shures to death.   ;D   I really don't miss the amp any more and will eventually settle down on a more portable solution...I recall reading on Head-fi that Pete Millet was building a portable tubed millet.  If that comes out...oh boy!   :D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »
Nice! I'll have to post a pic of my Millet... No where near as pretty as it is in a blue project box but it works nicely.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 08:32:42 PM »
Stagger,

I had a one-of-a-kind millet that Joe Sagan built for me.  It had a wooden chasis, here's a pic:

It sounded great with my senn hd580's and my grado sr60's, bu it rarely got any use.  Head-fier 'terance" traded a new pair of shure se530's for it...I love the shures to death.   ;D   I really don't miss the amp any more and will eventually settle down on a more portable solution...I recall reading on Head-fi that Pete Millet was building a portable tubed millet.  If that comes out...oh boy!   :D

Todd The Vinyl Junkie is Already Selling the Portable Millet Hybrid

I think Project boards for the design are also available.

The Millet Hybrid is one of the most popular builds for aspiring amp builders.

The Millet Hybrid Maxx is one to check out.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RebelRebel

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 09:18:43 PM »
My HD 650 pair have been a constant companion on recording trips the past few months, and I have come to learn why so many folks use them. Very articulate, balanced sound and work equally well for analytical and casual listening purposes. I have a pair of Stax and the accompanying amp now, and they are the finest ive heard, but I am leery of using them in the field, so my 650s will remain on first string for remotes. . The HD 650s will never dissapoint, in my opinion. Solid choice.

Had been using the Etymotic ER-4  for a long time, but an equipment change on the front end of my recording setup made them not as desirable, though they are still the best plane/train/ and automobile phones out there.

Good luck with the purchase. You really cant go wrong with either choice. At that level of quality I suspect that differences arent as glaringly obvious as some would say.

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 05:18:26 AM »
lot'sa difference, but you could make a button-hole argument for either one. Just after having spent an expensive trip thru the top shelf Grado's, Senn's, and AKG's, i'll spew a personal opinion...

Grado's... these are slamming straight into your cranium,  if you have the right stimulants and the correct tunes, who's to argue?... enough said.

the 650's... lot'sa talk on this one... my litmus test was Floyd... as in pink... just yummy and silky smooth... but damn... those bottom ends don't seem to come outside the bricks... but, really... relax... don't pay attention to that talk... we know what's what... lay back and we'll feed you the best... hold on... wait a sec...

I want everything this HP has to offer, but with the bottom end of the Grado's... if it had that, this thing sits on top of the magic mountain.

701's... lean waaay back... really... I mean it... grab a pair of left and right... bring down a pair of your best speakers over the top and you'll be close... (they ain't Stax... but Stax is off topic for this discussion)... we've got top, bottom, and a whole bunch in between... listen to that... hmmm.... quite good isn't it? Now you really can relax... everything is as we said... nothing more... nothing less... just lean back.

as the thoughts above describe... you need lot's of sweet juice to make either work... you ain't got it?... get Grado's.
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

RebelRebel

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 03:27:41 PM »
One very good option(some would say much better) at the same pricepoint as both the Sennheiser and AKG is the Ultrasone proline 750. THe company HQ is German, and quality is outstanding. Had I known about them before I got my Sennheiser pair, I probably wouldve looked into them much closer. The guys I know that own them swear by em. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com