Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ps2 ?'s  (Read 9984 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
ps2 ?'s
« on: July 19, 2003, 12:52:27 AM »
so i ran the ps2 for the first time in bonner springs with my 391's

had some battery issues... i wasnt thinking at all and brought some generic batterys i had layin around, new and in the package, and brought no extras

like 15 minutes into the first set the light came on, so after either wolfmans or maze i did a swap with the other i had, 15-20 minutes later the light came on again

i made it untill setbreak luckily

one of the guys from ts hooked me up with an energizer, no idea if it was new, and the light came on during the first song of 2nd set.... luckily he had one more that i could bum and i made it through the night with  only a few seconds lost to battery changes

what is the expected runtime of a ps2 running a good name brand 9v? is there anything else in mym rig that could affect the ps2's runtime? possibly the line transformers that are on the xlr outs of it?

also one more ?

looking into where the battery goes, there is some sort of a threaded female plug of some sort... what is this? a possible way to power externally?

thanks for the help!

Offline the yokel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re:ps2 ?'s
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 03:18:46 AM »
Not sure on the exact specs of the PS2 are but i used to get 3-4 hours on Energizer E2's on 184's (which should have relatively similar power draws to the 390's).  15 min. seems really short.  The threaded female plug is it's 9v dc plug in.  I'd suggest you make/get a 9v battery sled or i've heard of people using RC car batteries to power Denecke products.  Sorry your rig ran short but in the meantime i'd suggest you pick up some energizer E2's or just some fresh batteries.  

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 03:45:59 AM »
how would i go about making a 9v battery sled?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 04:54:44 AM »
where would i go about finding the right plug for the 9v dc in? i would be able to hack it off and use it for 9v rc car packs right?

looking to build and have one for friday as i have some taping to do....

jessedscott

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 09:16:38 AM »
C- you can go to rat shack and pick up a 9v RC battery, do the wiring and get a 1/8" mini plug MALE. I think it is 1/8". NEW betteries are a must for those! If you do go RS, take you PS2 with you.......

JDS

busknuckle

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 03:19:50 PM »
the PS-2 he's talking about is the one you sold me...

I never even used it....it was just sitting here and I needed some scratch. Did you use 9v with it when you had it?

jessedscott

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 03:38:33 PM »
Yep, I never got around to doing the external battery thing, but I know that is what he'll need. FWIW, I got about 2-3 shows worth of use on 1 new battery, little 9v. Just take it out at set break ...yadda yadda..

By the way that was Brian Skalinder's PS2 at one time....BUILT LIKE A ROCK!

JDS

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 04:38:36 PM »
it was brians??? i am also running brians old modsbm1 too, i used to run jesses old mics and brians old mics too

guess were all gear sluts now

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2003, 10:38:55 AM »
so i ran the ps2 for the first time in bonner springs with my 391's

...like 15 minutes into the first set the light came on, so after either wolfmans or maze i did a swap with the other i had, 15-20 minutes later the light came on again...

I've noticed that it is possible to "hot swap" the 9v battery in the PS-2, without losing phantom power to the microphones, if you are very quick about it. The capacitors hold enough voltage to keep phantom power going to the microphones for a few seconds. I've done this in the middle of a set with no audible artifacts.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

busknuckle

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2003, 03:08:17 PM »
+ for the coolio avatar calico ;)

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2003, 05:32:02 PM »
by the end of the night i was a pro at changing those batteries

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2003, 06:09:36 PM »
C- you can go to rat shack and pick up a 9v RC battery, do the wiring and get a 1/8" mini plug MALE. I think it is 1/8".

Just to clarify - not sure if a stereo 1/8" mini-plug will work.  I believe the PS2 takes a mono 1/8" mini-plug.  If you run on external power, you'll never have to sweat the 9vs.  What a PITA, those 9v are...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

jessedscott

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2003, 06:19:42 PM »
C- you can go to rat shack and pick up a 9v RC battery, do the wiring and get a 1/8" mini plug MALE. I think it is 1/8".

Just to clarify - not sure if a stereo 1/8" mini-plug will work.  I believe the PS2 takes a mono 1/8" mini-plug.  If you run on external power, you'll never have to sweat the 9vs.  What a PITA, those 9v are...

I didn't say that did I , yes it needs to be a mono plug. Might as well take it with you to see if it works before leaving the store...

JDS

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2003, 07:15:14 PM »
For some reason I get a light static sound when I power my DTR-80p and PS-2 with the same 12v SLA. I've tried everything, including lifting ground on each. It's wierd, because they work great if I power either with their own battery. So, for the time being, I just use 9v batteries in my PS-2. Anybody else have experience with this problem?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2003, 10:14:53 PM »
so i can take the 9v rc cars rechargeable battery, and wire it to be able to hook the 1/8" mono plug or a charger and il be all set?

looking to get it done and be able to cycle the battery a few times before friday night

if i were to hook the battery to the ps2 w/out mics does it draw power so i can cycle the battery? not really wanting to leave my mics hooked up to cycle the battery.

any suggestions on how to cycle those batterys?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com