Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PMD620 Firmware Update  (Read 4164 times)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
PMD620 Firmware Update
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:58:04 AM »
I noticed that there is a new firmware update for the Marantz PMD620 (v.2.06).  I have no idea how long it has been available, but haven't seen anything about it here yet...Anyway, the update (http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4313&CatID=19&SubCatID=188) isn't well described on their site ("Now Available: PMD620 Firmware Update v2.06. Enhances performance & accelerates processing."), but there are some pretty noticeable changes.  The configuration of the menus has changed considerably; I think it is a big improvement (for details, check out the pdf that downloads with the update).  I haven't really checked to see if there are any actual performance differences, but it does seem to me that the start-up is a bit quicker (but this could be my imagination...it was already very fast).

I installed the update with no problems on both my stock 620 and my Oade Concert Mod.  Made me nervous, though, as another user (Arni99) had a problem with an earlier update and Oade Bros. specifically mention that any problems during firmware upgrades won't be covered by their warranty.  I spoke to Doug about this; he said that a bad CPU chip or a power surge could cause a problem, and, although rare, it requires factory support to fix.  Basically, he said not to do the upgrade during a thunderstorm.  Even after it worked on the stock unit, I was anxious doing it to the mod'ed one (I didn't want to end up with a $500.00 paper weight :)), but it worked fine...As a precaution, I used a power surge protector...

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: PMD620 Firmware Update
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:38:57 AM »
I noticed that there is a new firmware update for the Marantz PMD620 (v.2.06).  I have no idea how long it has been available, but haven't seen anything about it here yet...Anyway, the update (http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4313&CatID=19&SubCatID=188) isn't well described on their site ("Now Available: PMD620 Firmware Update v2.06. Enhances performance & accelerates processing."), but there are some pretty noticeable changes.  The configuration of the menus has changed considerably; I think it is a big improvement (for details, check out the pdf that downloads with the update).  I haven't really checked to see if there are any actual performance differences, but it does seem to me that the start-up is a bit quicker (but this could be my imagination...it was already very fast).

I installed the update with no problems on both my stock 620 and my Oade Concert Mod.  Made me nervous, though, as another user (Arni99) had a problem with an earlier update and Oade Bros. specifically mention that any problems during firmware upgrades won't be covered by their warranty.  I spoke to Doug about this; he said that a bad CPU chip or a power surge could cause a problem, and, although rare, it requires factory support to fix.  Basically, he said not to do the upgrade during a thunderstorm.  Even after it worked on the stock unit, I was anxious doing it to the mod'ed one (I didn't want to end up with a $500.00 paper weight :)), but it worked fine...As a precaution, I used a power surge protector...
Yes I had a problem and lost 349 Euro at once as the problem with the firmware upgrade was NOT covered by Marantz or the vendor.
My R-09HR seems to be a good successor though :) .
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline jobseek2001

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:49:01 AM »
Interesting. Too bad to hear about bad flash...

Offline seabrook

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: PMD620 Firmware Update: now gone?!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 09:56:47 PM »
Firmware update link has been removed; not a good sign.  Perhaps Marantz was tired of handling bad flash complaints....?

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4313

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: PMD620 Firmware Update: now gone?!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 08:40:03 AM »
Firmware update link has been removed; not a good sign.  Perhaps Marantz was tired of handling bad flash complaints....?

That's what I think. Well, I've only used mine 3 times. In terms of Sound quality itdoesn't even come close to the R-09HR
even the old R-09. ::)
Take care.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:09:10 AM »

Actually, they are in the process of doing another upgrade.  From D&M Technical Support (October 16th):

Quote from: D&M Professional Technical Support
Hello Aaron,

Thanks for your message.

The 2.06 firmware was removed from the site as modifications are being made.  It will be replaced by a new firmware update soon.

Best regards,

Technical Support
D&M Professional
(Denon & Marantz Professional)
(630) 741-0330
www.d-mpro.com
www.denondj.com

Offline engaudio

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 06:51:53 AM »
I contacted them a few days ago and got the same response.. (dec 01 2008)
No word on when an upgrade will be available either.
(BTW: have a oade super mod pmd620 and it sounds great , mind you a neumann rsm191 and SQN4s mixer at the front end help!)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »
Here's the new version (v2.27) of the 620 firmware...Actually, it doesn't appear to have hit their site yet, but it was e-mailed to me from D-M tech support (see attached .zip).  Also attached is the fly sheet showing the changes to the menu structure (compared to v2.06).

This is what they said about the changes:

Quote from: D-M Pro Tech Support
The new update includes the following.

1.  Improved USB data transfer speed.
2.  Enabled the machine to continue recording even when recording file size reaches 4GB.
3.  Added to support for 16GB/32GB cards
4.  Changed menu structure.
5.  Added multi language support.
6.  Added speaker mute function.

Best regards,

Technical Support
D&M Professional
(630) 741-0330
www.d-mpro.com
www.denondj.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com