Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Avantone CK-1 Mismatched microphones adjustments?  (Read 3204 times)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Avantone CK-1 Mismatched microphones adjustments?
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »
Hey there all. As some of you may be aware of, I purchased a set of Avantone CK-1s through a buyer on Craigslist. They have very mismatched responses. http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186706.0

Anyway, here’s the message I posted on Team Avantone, though that thread seems pretty dead. Here’s a slightly adjusted version of what I posted there:

I recently bought a pair of CK-1s on the secondary market that are quite mismatched. To get comparable levels between the two mics requires me to put one channel at low gain and one at mid gain on my DR-60d. This results in an audible hum from only one mic during quiet portions.

After nothing this issue, I removed the circuitry from the mic body to inspect, and as part of that process I tweaked the connection of the bass roll-off switch to the circuit board. This mic is the one that has the higher response, but given that was the case prior to me taking it apart I don’t think this changed anything. After finding no other obvious issues, I reinserted the circuitry to the body. As part of this process the plastic pieces that allow for the changing of the switches’ positions also popped off.

I also peeped through the mesh near the point of connection between the mic body and the capsule. The pin that the capsule connects to appears to not be exactly perpendicular to the surface of the capsule’s hex shaped connector as I can see light coming through when I shine a flashlight from behind, though I notice this on both mics. I’ve tried switching capsules between mic bodies, changing XLR cables, and switching between L/R channels on the recorder. The issue seems to be in the mic body itself.

1) Is the connector between mic body pin and capsule supposed to be totally flush? Can someone check on their own mic/capsule to  see?

2) Do you think the mics can be adjusted to be more tightly matched?

3) Do you have any advice on returning the plastic switch caps to their place?

If anyone has any clarifying questions or wants pictures to help understand let me know.

Thanks tapers!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:27:33 PM by ycoop »
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline rumbleseat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
Re: Avantone CK-1 Mismatched microphones adjustments?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:46:41 PM »
I'm guessing that you have some soldering skills?  If so, I'd consider replacing the electrolytic capacitors (if there are any...) as a first step.
I've fixed a couple of noisy mics this way.

I don't see a schematic posted online, but that might be helpful.
If you could post photos of the circuit boards, that might also help.
If you can read the capacitor values and get length and diameter measurements, I (or someone) can recommend replacements.

AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 12:21:35 AM »
Wiping down the mic body connector pin with a microfiber cloth seems to have fixed the issue entirely! Quite well matched now and pretty low noise on the low gain setting.

I am interested in learning about the schematic, though I likely wouldn't get much of what's going on at this point. If I feel up to it I'll open one up again and take a picture.

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »
I'm happy to hear that your mic is working again!
AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 01:54:04 PM »
You can also clean the pin by gently rubbing with a pencil eraser, then clean off residue with alcohol on a paper towel. You likely had some oxidation on the pin. The rubber eraser does a good job of removing the oxidation without damaging the metal surface.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »
I'm guessing that you have some soldering skills?  If so, I'd consider replacing the electrolytic capacitors (if there are any...) as a first step.
I've fixed a couple of noisy mics this way.

I don't see a schematic posted online, but that might be helpful.
If you could post photos of the circuit boards, that might also help.
If you can read the capacitor values and get length and diameter measurements, I (or someone) can recommend replacements.

Here’s an image of the opened mic body. http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=83637.msg1219110#msg1219110

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 10:45:43 PM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Those three electrolytic capacitors would have been suspects if you hadn't resolved your low-output and hum issue.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com