Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

744T vs current options

(1/10) > >>

jerryfreak:
i always wanted one of these, now that they are under a G i might pull the trigger

sound/spec wise did anything better ever really come along for our purposes. i remember when these came out they had favorable reviews with people claiming they approached the resolution of a V2/AD2K combo (gold standard IMO)

some of the random things im not using i could sell to consolidate toward this:
#1 pmd 661
#2 pmd 661 (oade mod)
littlebox
one of my tinyboxes
extra ad2k

good move for under a G or obsolete?

probably worth mentioning i dont have any bodies that require phantom (right now i have CMRs and NBOB actives>tinybox so this would purely a gearslut purchase with limited advantage over the AD2K>pmd 661 as a bit bucket. would be rare to "need" 4 channels but fun to have for the occasional matrix or something

H₂O:
Total depends on what you are looking to do...

the new MixPre-6 and Zoom F4/F8 are pretty well liked and offer 4+ channels with preamps.

744t offers 4 channels of digital inputs which neither of the above recorders offer (neither have digital inputs) - 744t has only 2 channels of pre-amp though

The 702/722/744 have very transparent pre-amps which can sound harsh with certain mics IMO - they definitely do not have the slight warmth of the grace pre's which many of us prefer.

Gordon:

--- Quote from: H₂O on May 02, 2018, 10:29:40 AM ---slight warmth of the grace pre's which many of us prefer.

--- End quote ---

can't say I've ever heard grace described as warm!  I loved my v3 don't get me wrong......

LOVE my mp6!

jbell:
I'd skip the 744t and get a Mixpre-6!!  Unless you really need the digi in. 

jcable77:
Ive been wanting one of these lately since watching the prices drop. Multiple digi in’s has been something id love to mess with for a while, but after a couple tries of running the minime into the digi in of my r44 and the v3 analog into 3+4 of the r44 im not sure id really be gaining all that much in quality. Im still in the mindset that most of these recorders conversion is subpar, but i think that may be something i need to grow out of. Of course the mp6 would be ideal if i didnt have to sell the v3 and mm’s to get it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version