Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: figured out my noise issues(I think)  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Just Taper Mark from NC

• when the bass kicks..all I need is a mic and a stage and mix.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Dodgertown 90090
figured out my noise issues(I think)
« on: November 12, 2004, 08:39:45 PM »
so I noticed at moe. on the 30th that my left channel was hotter than the right
and to balnce them out the trim on my v3 was way out of whack :P tapes sound
fine.

BTW,these are the u89's w/my RA audiomagic cables and with the current rig set up
all I have to do is connect the cables to the mics,raise stand and connect my power
plugs,45 seconds tops. :)

so at karl d on the 31st I get in the door throw my shit up,take a patcher and BS with
tony(lowspark) for a while. well when old union came out for their set I started up my
stuff and was only getting right channel for a couple minutes so I double checked everything
and all seemed okay,upon reaching to the back of the v3 and wiggling the connecter I got
my left channel back and on we went.

well like the night before my left channel was way hotter than the right so the trim was tweaked
again for even levels but no matter how much I cut the trim back th left channel kept going over
on the v3 but not on my p1 but it would on my patchers d8 and i've seen this before with no ill
results to date.

so I get home give the tape a listen through and you can hear a clip towards the end of the tape
every10-15 seconds in the left channel,hmmm ???

so I went to rory's yesterday(he modded the cables) and we listened on his comp because he was
also patched with another p1 and it was on his tape too so we mulled it over and decided I should
check the solder on the cables and when I took the cap w/the 2 screws off and poked the connections
the one to the far right was broken and barely making contact :o

BINGO!(I think)

I don't understand how this would make the levels on that channel hotter than normal but I
do see how it could cause the clipping noise. anybody have any insight?

I'm going to take then back to rory and let him fix it and check the other out and I have abackup
set of belden cables I can use next week until then.
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: figured out my noise issues(I think)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 11:06:20 AM »
one of those mics is a few db hotter than the other... but you knew that already I think.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Just Taper Mark from NC

• when the bass kicks..all I need is a mic and a stage and mix.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 11:36:37 AM »
yeah,but it shouldn't be that bad. I'll see what a different set of cables
does for the cause.
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 11:54:02 AM »
:thumbsup
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com