Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are 16bit A/D days numbered?  (Read 12720 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re: Are 16bit A/D days numbered?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 10:27:04 PM »
honestly from what I have heard from the A/D in the R1, it sounds fantastic...very similar to the t-mod SBM1 that george used to run....one less box and sounds good...

I concur... at least we can agree on something other than hockey, eh Nick?

Although my points might be moot from the other days since Ottawa just got pummeled 5-0 by the Bruins tonight.  ???

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 10:31:14 PM »

Although my points might be moot from the other days since Ottawa just got pummeled 5-0 by the Bruins tonight.  ???

hey at least you got one of those games in hand out of the way :P

seriously though, I loved my mp-2/mod sbm1 setup...and to my ears the R1 is actually a bit clearer with the same full sound that I got from my w-mod sbm

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »

hey at least you got one of those games in hand out of the way :P

seriously though, I loved my mp-2/mod sbm1 setup...and to my ears the R1 is actually a bit clearer with the same full sound that I got from my w-mod sbm

Yeah, I was thinking of trying the ACM Oade pmd660 for a while, but I just can't say enough about the mp2>r1 setup. I'm going to keep it for a while... I just have to find an easily powered and fast OTG drive for festivals.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 08:06:06 AM »
I honestly can't see 16bit going away until 24bit is as commonplace and we also have to wait for the market to be fully played out. Couple in the fact that this is an iPod generation and no one knows the difference between quality and crap, except us of course  8) With that in mind it just comes down to what you, the taper, wants to do.

I thought about selling my modSBM1 and going 24 bit, someday, but for now I see no need if I am not ready for it. Heh I will tell you this, I won't sell it if I can't get my price, I'll keep it as it has been a solid piece of gear and is still great for my tastes ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 08:43:36 AM »
[I can totally see the modded SBM's go for under $300 real soon.   

The modSBM may well fall below $300 in the near future but the reality is, the MT as an analog in device doing the A>D can't touch the sound of the modSBM.  And the rare mic and line mod SBM?  Doug doesn't even make a real mic-pre rebuild for the MT, so for sheer compactness, the 2modSBM is still king.  And for stealthing, I still like the 2modSBM>M1 with a remote....nothing can touch that period!  Just try to get your levels dialed in properly with your MT taking it from both ends! 

16bit as a music standard will still be prevalent for the next 3-5 years, IMHO.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 09:03:45 AM »
agree that the remote is golden for the M1/D100, but I argue that running analog into the R1 sounds fantastic and damn close to my ears to the sbm1

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 09:12:05 AM »
[I can totally see the modded SBM's go for under $300 real soon.   

And for stealthing, I still like the 2modSBM>M1 with a remote....nothing can touch that period!  Just try to get your levels dialed in properly with your MT taking it from both ends! 

unless you are talking about my rig :D

but andy and i are arguing two sides of the same coin...

and while you might be correct, nick, why would someone with a rig like mine upgrade to the r1 - just to be limited at 24/44.1..?

if you dont have the modsbm-1, and you are looking for a small setup, maybe the r1 is for you. but i sure wouldnt dump my sbm-1 to buy an r1...

so i guess the correct answer to this thread's quer\y is, that if you are already running a 16/48 setup, you will be fine for some time to come, esp. if you like the sound and are running quality gear (like the Oade mod SBM-1). if you are buying new gear now, the consensus is to get something that will at least allow 24/44.1 (like the r1), but for long term flexibility, you really sould be looking at 24/96 capability (at a minimum)...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 09:20:18 AM »
and while you might be correct, nick, why would someone with a rig like mine upgrade to the r1 - just to be limited at 24/44.1..?

agreed...if you dont believe that 24 bit is worth the investment alone, the only other advantages of the R1 is 1 box vs 2, and no more dat tapes...

Offline silentmark

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 10:44:27 AM »
[ And the rare mic and line mod SBM?  Doug doesn't even make a real mic-pre rebuild for the MT, so for sheer compactness, the 2modSBM is still king. 

Yeah I got the mic & line mods on mine and kept the 7pin intact as I was running a D8/7 at the time, now it has been the MT, no more DAT ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 11:18:55 AM »
I got my first r1 in late april and ran sax>r1 vs sax>tmod-sbm>d100. The r1 sounded better and I sold off the modsbm. This is the only criteria that mattered to me. Things like lack of remote, lack of L and R level indicators I've learned to live without. Things like 2 boxes to stealth vs 3 boxes and no dat tapes are just a bonus.

Offline silentmark

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 11:54:10 AM »
I got my first r1 in late april and ran sax>r1 vs sax>tmod-sbm>d100. The r1 sounded better and I sold off the modsbm. This is the only criteria that mattered to me. Things like lack of remote, lack of L and R level indicators I've learned to live without. Things like 2 boxes to stealth vs 3 boxes and no dat tapes are just a bonus.

Yeah but the Tmod and Oade mod are different, shrug ...

Offline gewwang

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 12:19:48 PM »

I'm referring to the Oade t-mod, not the Todd-mod.

I run 4022/4023 > sax and have run the Oade P-Mod, W-Mod and T-Mod SBMs. Of the 3 mods, the t-mod sounded the best with my combo, very clean and not too much bottom end as with the p-mod or w-mod (I made some really bad p-mod and w-mod tapes that I wished I'd just run sax>d100 in hindsight). I've found the r1 a/d to sound as good as the t-mod but with 24 bits instead of 16.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 12:47:09 PM »

I'm referring to the Oade t-mod, not the Todd-mod.

I run 4022/4023 > sax and have run the Oade P-Mod, W-Mod and T-Mod SBMs. Of the 3 mods, the t-mod sounded the best with my combo, very clean and not too much bottom end as with the p-mod or w-mod (I made some really bad p-mod and w-mod tapes that I wished I'd just run sax>d100 in hindsight). I've found the r1 a/d to sound as good as the t-mod but with 24 bits instead of 16.

That's what I like to hear. Is that the stock R1 or the oade mod?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 01:02:56 PM »
The modSBM may well fall below $300 in the near future but the reality is, the MT as an analog in device doing the A>D can't touch the sound of the modSBM.

Agreed on the MT.  The MT was just one example of the wave of new devices coming out.  Everything from here on out will be 24bit capable.  More and more companies will be coming out with all sorts of big and small recorders that do 24 bit.   The sound or lack thereof will in the end most likely (but not definitely) be superior to the SBM, ADC20, AK1k, etc.)

The SBM just seems to be the last of the 16 bit adc's to have not bottomed out yet.  I never see an ADC20 anymore and it was one of my favorite pieces of gear years ago.  The AD500 and AD1000 you can't give away nowadays it seems like.  When will the SBM finally crater?  March, June, October?   It will for sure but when is the question.   D7/8, M1, D100, DAP1 and the like have seemed to bottom out as well.  How often lately have you seen the words "Taking it to ebay I guess" in yard sale postings. 

Good discussion guys!  Interesting to see some differing opinions!  +T's around the horn.....

Offline gewwang

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 01:33:36 PM »
That's what I like to hear. Is that the stock R1 or the oade mod?

I've only run the stock but people have told me the oade mod is worth the cost upgrade. I'm going to hold off on any upgrades as I'm still waiting for that Oct 2005 Sonosax 2 channel recorder announcement.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com